New Volvo BEV coming in 2019 and all models going PHEV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minispeed

Just saw this over on autoblog, I think the announcement of all models in the line up getting a PHEV option is old news, I either new that or suspected it from trends or read someone speculate it although they say it`s new they make a lot of mistakes.

The good news is the expected launch of a full BEV by 2019. I`ve always been a big fan of Volvos and their newest cars are very sexy.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/15/volvo-plug-in-lineup-expansion/

Here's the compact car they should have out in Wagon (V) soft ute (Cross Country) and Compact utility (XC). No mention of a sedan.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/14/volvo-xc40-v40-2018-report/

It's good to see them in the process on renewing their product line; saw what appeared to be one of the newest wagons and it looked nice and crisp. I've also seen the big SUV (XC90) but so far just the ICE only model on the road; though the PHEV version was at the Chicago Auto Show this past February; its definitely gone upscale. I had rented one down in FL (last version) and it was definitely getting a bit dated looking and the ride was pretty soft and it wallowed a bit (could be because it had some mile on it).

I'd love to get a vehicle that could combine the utility of a mid-size SUV and and if it was EV capable for a solid 30 miles for M-F work commutes it would be perfect ... they appear to be getting close with these new ones but not quite there; you wonder what the XC90 T8 would get in real world range (25 on the Euro cycle is more like perhaps 18 to 20 in the US).

It appears that their Chinese owners see good things ahead for Volvo

I also saw the XC90 PHEV in Detroit and loved it. I think it's an amazing car, and also think that if you're 95% driving falls within a PHEV is just as good or even better than a full BEV. I think what they were saying at the show was 22 miles range estimate, not bad if it suits your needs but at about $10k less than a Tesla 70 it would be a hard sell for me unless I needed something that was 22 miles most days and 200+ with no good supercharger locations.

What I heard is that the S90 will get the exact same powertrain as the XC90, that would probably boost the range above 30.

Now since this is the real world where I can't buy a new Tesla or a new high end Volvo lets hope the depreciation is steep.

Back