VW EV Micro Bus, the "BUDD.e"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNAinaGoodWay

Just found this:

http://www.theplaidzebra.com/volkswagen-just-re-released-everyones-favourite-hippy-vanbut-now-its-electric/

Just a rumor apparently, but would be cool. Maybe they'll do an EV Bug someday too.

If they use the MQB chassis that the eGolf and A3 eTron are built upon, it's very possible. The current and previous "New" Beetle are based on Golf chassis and mechanicals, so that's definitely possible if there is the corporate will to do so..

In light of recent bad publicity (EPA and their smaller diesels) perhaps this will resurge their interest in 100% electrics; always loved the old buses (had an uncle who owned a mid '60's transporter) but some of these updated designs were pretty cool, one new EV segment that could work.

One of my greatest regrets from childhood is that my mom passed on buying a used VW bus ('61? it had the portholes and sunroof), instead opting for some used domestic car - can't remember if it was the '61 Galaxy, the '58 Impala, or the '61 Plymouth Wagon that time. The latter, at least, had three-row seating (rear seat faced backwards), and my friends and I always chose to ride in those seats, often with the tailgate window down (we were undoubtedly inhaling lots of exhaust fumes). It could also get out of its own way, something that no VW of that era could do, but then I wouldn't have been driving it.

GRA said:
One of my greatest regrets from childhood is that my mom passed on buying a used VW bus ('61? it had the portholes and sunroof),

Those classic VW buses with the roof windows are worth ridiculous amounts of money. http://jalopnik.com/5815611/this-is-what-a-217800-1965-volkswagen-bus-looks-like is an extreme example, but not that extreme.

They're so valuable that ones found abandoned in fields or even bodies of water are being rescued, almost without regard to restoration practicality: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/classiccars/6753575/Rare-VW-Camper-rescued-from-watery-grave.html

My parents drove a VW Bus in the early 70s. When my father was in the Navy during Vietnam, they'd drive it back and forth between New York and Mississippi. It would be amusing to end up driving an electric one myself, some 50 years later. Not that I would actually buy one of these, but fun to think about.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
So, 250-310 Euro ~ 172-210 here? I could live with that.

Yep, would work for me as well ... still looking for the right combo of cargo space and range and while the Tesla X has finally arrived still a bit pricey. There are a number on potential new EV model's on the horizon but I wonder how many will become reality with the low gas prices and typical lofty EV prices

pkulak said:
"Hurry up, man! This electric van only has 20 minutes of juice left!"

D3XEENh.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And made in Mexico. Wonder if it comes in Acapulco gold?

Not a 'bus' after all ...

: http://autoweek.com/article/inter...d-e-ces-and-it-aint-no-microbus#ixzz3wTfgQVVI

So of course we expected to see a split-window Westphalia in magnificent two-tone paint job with the big, round VW logo on the front. Instead, VW revealed something that looked more like a stretched Scion xA. Go ahead, google Scion xA and tell us the BUDD-e doesn’t look almost line-for-line like it, maybe with a little more wheelbase.

Sigh.

On a more positive note though ... why the author didn't bother to mention is that the Euro cycle is ALWAYS on the high side (typically around 69 or 70%; the 233 in the article is just 62%+; must be because of the boxy shape)

VW claims a range of 373 miles on the New European Driving Cycle, or NEDC. On any driving cycle 373 miles is just about all the electric range anyone’s ever going to need. Just getting to CES from LA was only 269 miles, and we could have plugged in here in Vegas for the drive back if we’d had a BUDD-e. VW claimed the 373-mile figure in its press material but during the presentation, chairman Dr. Herbert Diess said it was rated at 233 miles by the U.S. EPA. No further explanation was given for the 140-mile disparity. Still, 233 miles is nothing to spucken at.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
While not as big as I thought it might be, I'm hoping it'll give me an option besides the eNV200 for an EV with more cargo space.
Agree, I would have preferred something more like the old VW van but I suppose the air resistance would have been too much for an electric variant, that and square just isn't the new norm. I keep waiting for the eNV200 to make it to retail, love my Leaf but I really need more room. My guess is the whole thing is hinging on new larger batteries, I'd really want a real world range of 100 miles, preferably more and with a less aerodynamic and heavier vehicle were talking a larger battery than even the new Leaf battery. Guess I'll keep driving my Leaf until the time comes.

Back