Peugeot FRACTAL concept, 30kW/h battery, 4WD, two 75kW/102hp electric motors

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edatoakrun

Only a concept, and from a manufacturer unlikely to sell in the USA, but the first BEV manufacturer that comes close to these specs could sell me one.

As I've mentioned before, IMO a light, 4WD, ~30 kWh ~2 seat (the back seat in this thing look to be only marginally more useful than the parcel shelf in my 82 Fiat Spider) would be a smart idea for any BEV manufacture who wants to give their BEV range some excitement, moving above and beyond the family truckster class, which almost every BEV for sale on the USA falls into.

It even has the adjustable ride height I've been missing on every car I've owned, ever since I sold my Citroen DS!

A high-performance electric drive train

The electric drive train optimises aerodynamics and includes features unprecedented in the segment. The Peugeot FRACTAL's overall balance has been improved by installing the lithium-ion battery in the central tunnel. This reduces the vehicle's weight and lowers its centre of gravity.

The 30kW/h battery powers two 75kW/102hp electric motors, one on each axle, and offers a Combined Drive Cycle potential distance of 280miles.

The system manages power output according to driving conditions. The 150kW/204hp is distributed based on grip to optimise traction and energy recovery. In addition, to take into account weight transfer considerations, the electric motors have different gear ratios. During acceleration in the 0-62mile range, the rear motor kicks in first, with the front-axle motor gradually taking over beyond 62mph.

The four-wheel-drive FRACTAL Concept has electric assisted steering to ensure outstanding efficiency in the city and stability at high speed. The air springs can function automatically or be controlled by the driver to adjust ground clearance between 7cm and 11cm: the lowest position optimises aerodynamics on the road and extends the cars’s autonomy; the highest clearance allows the car to negotiate city streets with ease and take speed humps and car park entrances in its stride.

Weighing in at just 1,000kg, Peugeot FRACTAL goes from 0 to 62mph in 6.8 seconds while offering a new sensory experience for the ears, and can cover 1,000 metres from a standing start in 28.8 seconds.
http://www.peugeot.co.uk/news/fractal-concept-amplifies-the-peugeot-i-cockpit-with-sound/

Rehash of the press release, with photos and teaser vids here:

http://insideevs.com/peugeot-previews-electric-urban-coupe-fractal/

Very interesting. I think the two-motor AWD arrangement with different ratios front and rear (optimizing whichever is better for the conditions) is absolutely the way to go. I keep hoping VW will go that route with the e-Golf...think Golf R but with the Peugeot drivetrain.

Back