2017 Prius Prime PHEV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edatoakrun

Title edit, 12/9/16.

Click the link for photos.

Updating a PHEV's exterior design from boring to ugly (I.E. Mitsu Outlander) seems to be a trend lately.

Appearance notwithstanding, if the E range rumors are correct, it looks like ~eight kWh of the battery pack will be available, and the Prius brand could mean significant sales, particularly if Toyota decides it wants to generate its own CARB credits, rather than buying them from Tesla.

You think it will outsell the Volt gen 2?

Here it is, folks – the 2016 Toyota Prius. Our spy photographers recently caught the new hybrid on a photo shoot, but this is our first clear look at the new Prius...

This car definitely isn't pretty (there's a whole lot of Mirai in that design)...

Electric driving range is said to be around 35 miles, as well – a nice improvement over the current car's 11 miles of EV travel.

Toyota will show the highly anticipated, fourth-generation Prius at an event in early September. Naturally, we'll be on hand, so stay tuned for the official details in the not-too-distant future.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/08/30/2016-toyota-prius-spy-shots/

I actually like the looks... of the Leaf, and the current Prius looks just fine to me... but that Gen 4 PHEV Prius is one of the ugliest cars I have ever seen. :shock:

Clearly it was designed by the same person who designed the Mirai. :?

Perhaps now the Prius will ride on the coattails of the Mirai in terms of sales... :D

As someone who also likes the Leaf look I have to say the rear of the Prius is a deal breaker. Ugly is not strong enough...

But if it has 30 miles pure EV range and the ride is better than current gen then it could take sales from the Volt.

So far, the motoring press is not taking very kindly to it...

And with good reason, I would say. (And it still has that silly center dash which I despise...)

http://www.motoringbox.com/cars/car-news/toyotas-hideous-new-prius/

TomT said:
So far, the motoring press is not taking very kindly to it...

http://www.motoringbox.com/cars/car-news/toyotas-hideous-new-prius/
Yes, here is my favorite quote from that link:

"Presumably, what Toyota decided to do this time around was to beat the Prius unconscious with an ugly stick, before signing off on how it looked and sent it off to the production line. It really is as ugly as a hatful of arseholes. The bodywork shows telltale signs of the beating it endured – with an extremely busy arrangement of bumps, bruises and slashes evident all across the car."

Ouch.

FWIW, w/the not-very-useful recent unveiling in Vegas w/no details, Toyota hasn't even acknowledged whether or not there will be a Gen 4 PHEV Prius (PiP).

I'm a Prius fan and I also don't like bizarre rear styling. I don't like the speedometer in the center either. So far, w/o seeing the Gen 4 in person, it seems like it's a significant step backwards in styling from Gen 3. :(

BTW, if you want to read press releases, http://priuschat.com/threads/all-worldwide-2016-prius-4th-generation-press-releases.157653/ has some. Here's some marketing speak about the styling... :)
Stunning styling that subverts the conventional hybrid car image
From the bold design to the quality interior, the Prius has never had such a powerful presence. Toyota's designers were given free rein to realize their vision, and it shows.

The new model inherits the nameplate's signature triangular silhouette which, combined with a low center of gravity, results in an impressively angular yet emotional design. Flowing curves blend with aggressive cut edges that spark interest from any angle. The top of the roof has been lowered by 20 mm and moved forwards, while the engine hood has also been lowered to create a stylish outline. All improvements have been achieved with no sacrifice to interior space.

The use of new headlamps minimizes the Prius' frontal area and, at the same time, provides a striking lighting display which helps define the vehicle's distinctive character. The effect borders on being radical. Meanwhile, the bold and unique rear combination lamps express the distinctive lines of the Prius from the rear spoiler to the trailing edges of the sides.

Up to eight exterior colors are available, including "Emotional Red" which utilizes a newly developed treatment process to achieve a deep, vibrant luster that highlights the external forms.

According to Kouji Toyoshima, the model's chief engineer: "There is much more to the new Prius than a green image. The exterior has a particularly emotional appearance, thanks in part to the new platform that enables a low slung silhouette similar to a sports car."

The Prius' interior adopts advanced technology complemented by features that are functional, fun and have high visual impact. Once inside you feel immediately comfortable, cossetted and impressed by styling cues seldom, if ever, seen before in a vehicle.

A sense of quality and space is created through the wide instrument panel with its layered construction that clearly defines the "display zone", separating it from the "control zone" which is now closer to the driver. White ornamentation used in the lower sections of the cabin evokes an impression of fine bone china.

FWIW, w/the not-very-useful recent unveiling in Vegas w/no details, Toyota hasn't even acknowledged whether or not there will be a Gen 4 PHEV Prius (PiP)

My housemate leases a PIP, and I relay her opinions to the Prius Owner's Group that Toyota uses to get opinions from Prius drivers. They have made it clear enough that there will be a Gen Four, unless they just enjoy wasting peoples' time asking about color schemes, options, etc, for a car they won't build. I would like to say, though, that the Prius group bears NO responsibility for the way this car looks. There were no photos to choose from of Priuses in various states of disfigurement. I should have seen it coming, though, when Toyota, for no apparent reason, gave their whole car lineup 'Hitler Mustaches' for this production cycle...

My biggest issue with the 1st gen PiP (other than terrible EV range) was the engine vibration was awful. Does anyone know if the 2nd gen will improve this?

My Leaf is about as ugly as I can go. The new Prius looks flat hideous--I couldn't have come up with a worse design if I tried. No matter how good the car is, I couldn't drive it.

asimba2 said:
My Leaf is about as ugly as I can go. The new Prius looks flat hideous...
First off, the LEAF is not ugly, it is homely...

As to the Prius, I've noticed a generational difference in the reaction to its...styling?

It certainly violates every historic standard of automotive design, and to me (56 years old) it looks quite hideous also.

But the fact that at least some younger viewers seem to like it more, may be emblematic of Toyota's effort to appeal to a more contemporary ironic perception of beauty.

Sort of like PBR's recent (successful) approach to selling beer...

edatoakrun said:
asimba2 said:

As to the Prius, I've noticed a generational difference in the reaction to its...styling?

It certainly violates every historic standard of automotive design, and to me (56 years old) it looks quite hideous also.

But the fact that at least some younger viewers seem to like it more, may be emblematic of Toyota's effort to appeal to a more contemporary ironic perception of beauty.

I'll agree with your assessment of 'homely' vs ugly on the Leaf. I've grown to think it's okay, but it's far from being a beautiful car. I'm 40 years young and my 31-year old wife hates the Prius redesign more than I do, haha. But all of Toyota's redesigns have gone to the shark-mouth treatment, everything from the 4Runner (I own a 4Runner and am digusted by the new one), the GX460/LX570 SUVs and new NX to nearly every Toyota and Lexus line of cars. Only the new Camry was spared from this treatment.

Here are some better photos, straight from Toyota's own website:
PRS_MY16_0064_V001.jpg

PRS_MY16_0065_V001.jpg

I don't see how a design team could have let that one out the door. It looks bad from literally every angle.

edatoakrun said:
asimba2 said:

Sort of like PBR's recent (successful) approach to selling beer...

Generational preference, or unwavering fanboi devotion? The latter will fawn over anything made by Toyota even if it is quite literally a turd.

gsleaf said:
My biggest issue with the 1st gen PiP (other than terrible EV range) was the engine vibration was awful. Does anyone know if the 2nd gen will improve this?

There should be no noticeable engine vibration. There is an issue with all of the Gen III cars, though: condensation can form in the engine if it's run right before shutoff but not warmed up, and freeze into ice. Then, when you start the car, the ice shatters, causing a brief but severe knocking. The way to avoid it is to not shut the engine off cold in Winter. This applies to all the Priuses, not just the PIP, although the longer EV range of the latter can make the occurrence more likely.

cwerdna said:
<snip>
I'm a Prius fan and I also don't like bizarre rear styling. I don't like the speedometer in the center either. So far, w/o seeing the Gen 4 in person, it seems like it's a significant step backwards in styling from Gen 3. :(

BTW, if you want to read press releases, http://priuschat.com/threads/all-worldwide-2016-prius-4th-generation-press-releases.157653/ has some. Here's some marketing speak about the styling... :)
Stunning styling that subverts the conventional hybrid car image
From the bold design to the quality interior, the Prius has never had such a powerful presence. Toyota's designers were given free rein to realize their vision, and it shows.
I think the main thing it shows is that they didn't get the Transformers they wanted as children :( . Personally, I've never found the Gen 2 and 3 Prius' looks to be objectionable; I even sort of like the Gen 3. I can't wait to see this next to a Mirai - is it possible that the Mirai might look good in comparison? :shock: :eek: :lol: It will certainly be a close contest - this is hideous! Let's round up a Juke to complete the set, award them the title of top three worst looking Japanese cars ever (which seems to be the contest they're trying to win), and then send them all back to the drawing board.

I was certainly looking forward to something similar to the concept/show car they had a few years ago. But when spy shots started showing up a year or so ago I could tell that that was not going to happen. Oh well. Probably due for a short run model anyway . Might be time to start the cycle over with a 3 year run.

2001-2003 - 3
2004-2009 - 6
2010-2015 - 6

toyota_ns4concept_VRF480x320.jpg

edatoakrun said:
Click the link for photos.

Updating a PHEV's exterior design from boring to ugly (I.E. Mitsu Outlander) seems to be a trend lately.

Appearance notwithstanding, if the E range rumors are correct, it looks like ~eight kWh of the battery pack will be available, and the Prius brand could mean significant sales, particularly if Toyota decides it wants to generate its own CARB credits, rather than buying them from Tesla.

You think it will outsell the Volt gen 2?

Let me be the first to answer your question. The Volt easily outsells PIP right now and will continue to outsell it. Toyota has to sell comparatively fewer hydrogen vehicles to stay in compliance in California. Fast 15 minute refueling and 300 mile range is the key point. 8kWh will not generate a credit. Nor should it.

Back