Audi Q6 Electric to compete with Tesla Model X

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derkraut

2:17 pm ET August 20, 2015 (Dow Jones) Print
14:17 EDT - The production version of the e-tron quattro, the temporary name for a forthcoming electric car from Audi, will likely be called the Q6 and generate 40K annual sales once it is up to full production, forecasts IHS Automotive. The vehicle, with a 310-mile, all-electric range, is expected to launch late in 2018 and become a competitor to Tesla's (TSLA) Model X, which is due out late next month. Audi will debut the car at the Frankfurt auto show next month. It will feature a battery produced by South Korean companies LG Chem and Samsung SDI. ([email protected])

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

minispeed said:
It will be hard to say it's a direct competitor to the model X when it only seats 4. It'll surely be cross shopped by some who don't care but I think Tesla is going after a slightly different market than a sporty 4 seat SUV.
This is a competitor for Bolt, not Model X ;)

If really priced at $80k with 300 mile range and Audi virtual cockpit and interior design I'd say this will be a very serious competitor to the Model X. 500 hp, four wheel drive and potentially both all electric and PHEV.

But it's still drawings on paper until it's really shown and launched. And around 3 years out.

https://www.carwow.co.uk/news/Audi-Q6-price-specs-and-release-date-0238-2148

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/08/22/weekly-recap-audi-tesla-ford-traffic/

Different article from the same source (but different authors) now says seats 5.

I still see and have heard Tesla claim that the model x is going after women, especially those with kids. Falcon doors are said to be good for kids opening them in tight parking spaces and not dinging the doors of the cars beside you, this is handy for all people but when you have kids it's more important as you can say "be careful open it slow....." then bang. It's also said to be very good for putting a child seat in the back too.

I think the audi, from the sketches at least, looks much more masculine. It will probably be cross shopped with many of the same buyers but I doubt they are going to steal any model x sales away. I think if anything most of the buyers they take away from tesla would probably pick the model s over the x if they went with a Tesla.

Personally I think the model X is kinda ugly and if it was for my primary car I would never ever chose it over the S but if the audi ends up looking like that I'd consider it. That said my wife likes the X.

Expensive cars without a charging network will be a niche.

Which may be ok, since they are essentially compliance cars at this point.

German manufacturers would rather put a REx than invest in a charging network.

minispeed said:
Personally I think the model X is kinda ugly and if it was for my primary car I would never ever chose it over the S but if the audi ends up looking like that I'd consider it. That said my wife likes the X.

Funny two reasons I canceled my X reservations were that it was running way too late, and that when I saw the final design it was too "soccer mom" for my tastes. So I am in your boat as far as the look.

And honestly the Audi interior blows away the Model S, and what I've seen of Model X. I was really hoping Tesla would step up their interior with the X, but to my eye they just made it more feminine.

If they can get 300 miles and price it around say $80K I think they will have a very compelling alternative to the Model X.

Now simply the 'e-tron' quattro; not Q6 Electric or perhaps yet another variant??

'For the U.S. market, the A3 Sportback e-tron plug-in hybrid goes on sale this fall. A Q7 e-tron diesel plug-in hybrid will arrive after the Q7’s U.S. sales debut early next year, Keogh said. Another plug-in hybrid is planned after that, likely on the redesigned A8 flagship sedan, which is due in 2017.'

-- no specific mention of a Q6 but as always, subject to change as well as market conditions,

Audi's EV push won't stop with e-tron quattro

310-mile range and up to 500 hp

AR-150919836.jpg&MaxW=700&cci_ts=20150916151559

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150916/OEM04/150919836/audis-ev-push-wont-stop-with-e-tron-quattro

Back