Musk's upcoming announcement on reducing range concern?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlsoaz

I'm wondering what the upcoming announcement is going to be about. I can't really come up with a good theory I feel confident about. A couple of ideas that I don't feel that confident about:

- I wonder if Tesla might have come up with a way significantly to improve range by better smart decisions within the vehicle pertaining to looking ahead on the road (whether using optics or radar or GPS or what-have-you) and gauging optimal decisions pertaining to momentary coasting, regen braking or acceleration, and operating the car accordingly such as to reduce overall energy use.

- A less exotic theory I guess might be if they've been bracketing a usable portion of the battery and they could do an over the air update freeing up some of the battery?

- The announcements seem to indicate they'll address range anxiety, and not increase range itself. Both of my iffy ideas pertain to range itself. I can't seem to think of something offhand that would be about reducing anxiety without increasing range itself.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/44362-Elon-About-to-end-range-anxiety" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is a currently 57 page thread discussing Musk's tweet. I haven't read nor participated due to lack of time (have WAY higher priority things on my plate right now) and interest in speculating. Pretty impressive given the thread was started 2015-03-15, 06:40 AM Pacific time.

Gotta love how threads over on "TMC" can become VERY long and involved, sometimes very quickly... ;)

Enjoy. :D

jlsoaz said:
I'm wondering what the upcoming announcement is going to be about. I can't really come up with a good theory I feel confident about. A couple of ideas that I don't feel that confident about:

- I wonder if Tesla might have come up with a way significantly to improve range by better smart decisions within the vehicle pertaining to looking ahead on the road (whether using optics or radar or GPS or what-have-you) and gauging optimal decisions pertaining to momentary coasting, regen braking or acceleration, and operating the car accordingly such as to reduce overall energy use.

- A less exotic theory I guess might be if they've been bracketing a usable portion of the battery and they could do an over the air update freeing up some of the battery?

- The announcements seem to indicate they'll address range anxiety, and not increase range itself. Both of my iffy ideas pertain to range itself. I can't seem to think of something offhand that would be about reducing anxiety without increasing range itself.

One other addition to my guesses:

they might finally clear up the CHAdeMO adapter issue by issuing a combination of software update and finally making the adapters readily available. I have heard that there is an issue with something not going right with Teslas being able to charge at some of the CHAdeMO stations (a problem not necessarily caused by Tesla), so if Tesla has found a way to clear that up, then it might fit what has been hinted at.

It will be an improved navigation system.

The advances you suggest would all be nice, however, even if possible, don't do anything about range anxiety.

Range anxiety is all about not knowing.
If navigation showed all superchargers (which it does now), 3rd party public chargers, active routing when a destination is beyond range to a charger along the way. Also, very accurate prediction software that takes into consideration speeds, temperature, starting battery temp, elevation, wind speed, etc..
That would help eliminate range anxiety.

They could learn, and expand on some of the Leaf's navigation advantages, and continue to improve their own predictive software (which is already the best I've seen, but could be improved).

Nav is the only thing I could imagine that would be available to the entire fleet, and could be done with an OTA update.

Zythryn said:
It will be an improved navigation system.

The advances you suggest would all be nice, however, even if possible, don't do anything about range anxiety.

Range anxiety is all about not knowing.
If navigation showed all superchargers (which it does now), 3rd party public chargers, active routing when a destination is beyond range to a charger along the way. Also, very accurate prediction software that takes into consideration speeds, temperature, starting battery temp, elevation, wind speed, etc..
That would help eliminate range anxiety. .....snip........
all true ... except the 3rd party charging thing - as often they are either ICE'd .... in use (with owner's no intent on returning) ... or inoperative.

hill said:
...all true ... except the 3rd party charging thing - as often they are either ICE'd .... in use (with owner's no intent on returning) ... or inoperative.

Depends upon where you are I suppose.
Here in a Minnesota I rarely find them ICED or out of operation.
In CA, routing to public chargers would not be needed very often, so hopefully that helps.

cwerdna said:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/44362-Elon-About-to-end-range-anxiety is a currently 57 page thread discussing Musk's tweet. I haven't read nor participated due to lack of time (have WAY higher priority things on my plate right now) and interest in speculating. Pretty impressive given the thread was started 2015-03-15, 06:40 AM Pacific time.

Gotta love how threads over on "TMC" can become VERY long and involved, sometimes very quickly... ;)

Enjoy. :D

thanks for the pointer.

Back