Audi R8 E-Tron with 96 Kwh Battery !

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
120 Kwh is not necessary, that's too big to charge in any half decent time.

I'd be happy with a real 200 miles at 70 mph if I could charge up in 10 mins or less. Why carry a huge expensive battery for the 1% of the time I need 300-400 miles ? can't remember the last time I drove over 300 miles in one day.

I wonder is it possible Audi will be using Tesla tech ?

o00scorpion00o said:
http://www.greencarreports.com/news...first-details-for-new-all-electric-sports-car

Built by request only !

I guess if The Volkswagen Audi Group were serious about electrics they would have an A3, A4, A6, Passat etc with at least 60 kwh.

So how can they fit 96 Kwh, 10 more than the Model S in what appears to be a smaller chassis ?

What kind of battery tech have they got ?

Model S will get denser batteries in late 2016.

Anybody else can beat that now because Tesla is still using the pack design from 2012.

But it'll be obvious when Tesla pulls the trigger to use the more dense pack. There will be quite a bit of news about the price changes and range difference.

o00scorpion00o said:
Of course, that assumes that you'd need to charge it fully when you charge it..
Most people won't have used a significant part of that 120kWh very often.

And that also assumes that the charging tech doesn't also increase to allow it when needed.

The "it's more than we need" always reminds me of the (false, but still good) "640k is enough for anyone" quote.

desiv

desiv said:
o00scorpion00o said:

And that also assumes that the charging tech doesn't also increase to allow it when needed.

The "it's more than we need" always reminds me of the (false, but still good) "640k is enough for anyone" quote.

desiv[/quote

But seriously, how much range is enough ? I think the Model S as it is with the 85 kwh battery is more than enough especially if it could be charged to 80% in 5 mins, now that would be a breakthrough !

o00scorpion00o said:
desiv said:
o00scorpion00o said:

desiv

But seriously, how much range is enough ? I think the Model S as it is with the 85 kwh battery is more than enough especially if it could be charged to 80% in 5 mins, now that would be a breakthrough ![/quote]

I'm with you scorpion, at least until batteries become so cheap that adding more is akin to adding a large gas tank to your SUV. Cost is more important in the near- to mid- term. I do think that 200 miles is a good target for a massive uptick in sales. Will it be enough for everyone? No. But going to 300 or 400 miles will bring a heftier price tag, and many people will opt for the much cheaper 200-mile car.

Bottom line - offer options. For me, 300 miles would do any trip without charging. 200 miles with appropriately placed QC would also suit my needs. For others, 500 miles would give them freedom to do all of their driving. Some may not be satisfied until their range is over 1000 miles, or the car refuels in 5 minutes.

The longest I have driven in a day was almost 1000 miles - Moab UT to Oklahoma City, OK (with some sight-seeing in between). That was the longest day of my life. Since that cross-country trip, my longest day has been less than 500 miles. And that was only one trip in 8 years. We don't need to wait for EVs to drive from Moab UT to Oklahoma City OK with <20 minutes of refueling time before they will hit mainstream.

Two hours at freeway speeds in all conditions with a reserve, given a five to ten minute 'refueling' time, would be acceptable to most people, but until the tech allows recharging in that amount of time, at least four hours at freeway speeds in all conditions with a reserve, with a 1 hour or less full recharge to provide the same range again (20 minutes or less being the target), remains the Holy Grail for full ICE replacement. That will be acceptable to almost everyone except the adult diaper-wearing Road Warrior crowd :lol: (I say that having driven five or six hour stretches non-stop. I was younger then, and my back protests at anything over four hours now).

Larger packs also have the added benefit of being able to supply more power at any given moment. In the R8 that will be key just like it is in the P85D. After all for all out 0-60 and drag times it would have made more sense to make a P60D that is lighter but the battery probably wouldn't be up to the job. The second benefit is in the quick charge time since it slows down as you get to a higher SOC% it's ideal to have the max range needed at a SOC under 80% if you're going to rely on quick charge. Teslas decision to cancel the 40 but still supply pre-orders with a 60 limited to 40 was good for those buyers in both acceleration and charge time. However I doubt many if any 40s came with super charging.

If the super rich are willing to buy extra kWh that they don't need it's a good thing for now. In the end it supports the manufacturing and development of cheaper batteries for the eventual trickle down to middle class family cars and econo boxes. Once we get to the point of a $20,000 car being full electric with 300+ miles worth of battery range IMHO that's when bigger batteries become wasteful. At that point I think we're better off with lighter more efficient cars that use less material to build.

o00scorpion00o said:

I'd be happy with a real 200 miles at 70 mph if I could charge up in 10 mins or less. Why carry a huge expensive battery for the 1% of the time I need 300-400 miles ? can't remember the last time I drove over 300 miles in one day.

I wonder is it possible Audi will be using Tesla tech ?

I agree with you. 200 miles in 1 charge with 10 minutes fully quick charges available around the country just like gas stations, that would be enough.

Back