QUANTiNO Low Voltage EV? 620 mile range?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesertSprings

Woke up this morning and saw several stories on this guy in my feed.
http://www.gizmag.com/flow-cell-quantino-600-mile-range/36137/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems to be some sort of hybrid between battery and fuel cell? They mention 600 mile range, 125MPH max speed, and that it uses a "low voltage" system similar to golf carts to do all this. Actual sample cars rolling on the roads this year with plans for production next year or so.

Any thoughts? Someone care to educate me a little better on the technology, especially "low voltage"?

I don't know about the low vs high voltage aspect - regardless of the voltage you need a certain amount of energy to move a given vehicle. Higher speed, more weight, more wind resistance will require more net power to keep it moving.

Now to the range - these "flow cell" type of batteries are interesting indeed. The idea of basically charging your electrolyte outside the vehicle and then basically swapping it out (keep a tank of it, empty the 'used' to be recharged, fill the 'new' at the same time) is nice - I could see engineering solutions that can do this at least as fast as current gas fill-up. IF it were to become a standard/commodity product then all the better. Fill stations every 400 miles? I don't know. If the total energy density (kWh/lb?) is greater than other tech then it certainly could be an advantage.

Down sides? Clearly it is more complex to 'charge' than just plugging in, but I am sure that can be managed. I'm not sure of the process to recycle the fluids back to 'charged' state or the end to end efficiency of the system....

I'm not attracted to the idea of stopping somewhere so I can be beholden to an expensive liquid to pour into my car. That's sort of why I changed to an EV in the first place. There is no proprietorship on earth that can compete with my garage for fueling convenience.

Back