Consumer Reports says to avoid the Mitsubishi i- MiEV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greengate

"This electric car gets the equivalent of 111 mpg. But it's no bargain. The iMiEV is slow and bumpy, and it has a cramped cabin and a limited drive range," they say.

Attachments

• Unknown-8.jpeg
    Unknown-8.jpeg
    6.7 KB · Views: 40
1: It's Consumer Reports...

2: Did they "trash electric cars" or did they trash a variety of cars, a few (2? 5? out of how many?) of which are electric?

Either way, see #1. ;-)

desiv

desiv said:

2: Did they "trash electric cars" or did they trash a variety of cars, a few (2? 5? out of how many?) of which are electric?

Either way, see #1. ;-)

desiv
They said to avoid these 5 new cars:

Scion iQ
Chevrolet Spark
Mitsubishi i-MiEV
Toyota Yaris
Jeep Compass

greengate said:
desiv said:

Either way, see #1. ;-)

desiv
They said to avoid these 5 new cars:

Scion iQ
Chevrolet Spark
Mitsubishi i-MiEV
Toyota Yaris
Jeep Compass

So your post title would have been just as accurate if it had read "Consumer Reorts trashes ICE cars"

If you read the article, the reason they said to avoid them had nothing to do with them being electric... And I agree with their synopsis...

greengate said:
Chevrolet Spark and the Mitsubishi MiEV "Cars to Avoid," (there are 5,) in their recent publication.

In their defense, all 5 of those cars are crap. The electric drive on the Spark might make it better than the gas Spark, but the rest of the car is still a Daewoo.

I take CR's opinions on cars with a large grain of salt. They originally dissed the Miata, one of my all-time favorite cars. One of their big gripes was "lack of luggage space", or some such. The point of a convertible roadster just floated above their heads, undisturbed and unexamined.

The degree to which CR matches your own taste is more or less proportionate to how much you think of cars as consumer appliances, as opposed to fetish objects or things with with to become emotionally involved...

kubel said:
In their defense, all 5 of those cars are crap. The electric drive on the Spark might make it better than the gas Spark, but the rest of the car is still a Daewoo.
^^^ this^^^ is spot on.
the reality is an econo box is an econo box regardless of it's propulsion system
when CR loved the tesla they were heroes now that they've trashed some of the "weaker" cars they're now villains?

It's just with so few all electric cars out there, it's a shame to not at least give them some credit for being all electric..all of which made me wonder if it weren't the same people working for CR that were instrumental in killing the electric car several years ago...as if the electric car were an invasive plant that needed to be eradicated.

TomT said:
If you read the article, the reason they said to avoid them had nothing to do with them being electric... And I agree with their synopsis...

greengate said:
Chevrolet Spark and the Mitsubishi MiEV "Cars to Avoid," (there are 5,) in their recent publication.

I don't get CR, what did they say was wrong about these cars?

As someone so succinctly said here earlier, if a car is a price of crap, making it electric then only makes it an electric piece of crap. It is not worthy of elevated status simply because it is electric...
CR got it right.

greengate said:
It's just with so few all electric cars out there, it's a shame to not at least give them some credit for being all electric..all of which made me wonder if it weren't the same people working for CR that were instrumental in killing the electric car several years ago...as if the electric car were an invasive plant that needed to be eradicated.

greengate said:

So is your position that no electric car, no matter how bad, should end up on the list?

Listen, I agree EVs should get credit for their smooth, quiet drive as well as the instantaneous throttle response. That doesn't, however, make them immune from being judged poorly.

Your thread title is misleading and should be changed.

apvbguy said:
kubel said:
^^^ this^^^ is spot on.
the reality is an econo box is an econo box regardless of it's propulsion system
when CR loved the tesla they were heroes now that they've trashed some of the "weaker" cars they're now villains?

Agreed. If anything, I think they went a bit overboard in the praise of the Tesla. The expense of bodywork and repairs are things to consider when purchasing a vehicle, and Tesla dings will cost $$$$. And then there are the tires. It might still be the best by their criteria, but their evaluation made it seem nearly perfect. Assuming they are still in business, Teslas in 10 years will be much higher quality vehicles (of course features will get better with technology. I mean they will break less and be even less expensive to operate).

Back