Audi Q7 diesel e-tron quattro PHEV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

Almost overlooked it, again just in case there isn't already a thread:

http://insideevs.com/audi-q7-e-tron-world-debut-at-2015-naias/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

looks like the Q7 may be the first (no-P, HEV?) with an OE wireless EV charging system:

Dr. Ulrich Hackenberg, Audi’s technical chief, says the company is working on a wireless charging system that he says is nearly ready for production. The system will be an option on the Audi Q7 e-tron 3.0 TDI Quattro....

Audi says it is working on a system that will raise the charging plate once the car is in position (as shown in video at link) to reduce the distance to the receiver, which will enable higher charging rates. “Our system will start with 3.6 kW of charging and it will go to 7.2 kW soon, and there are ideas to go higher,” says Hackenberg...
http://ecomento.com/2015/04/27/audi-wireless-electric-car-charging-system/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think that it is may get harder to sell BEVs/PHEVs in the $50,000+ price range that you have to plug in, once your competitors offer this option.

More Q7 info here:

The 2016 Audi Q7 e-tron will launch later this year as the brand’s second plug-in hybrid, and its first with a diesel engine.

This plug-in SUV was revealed earlier this year – along with the rest of the redesigned 2016 Q7 lineup – at the Detroit Auto Show, but Audi provided more details during its European launch at the 2015 Geneva Motor Show.

The Q7 e-tron’s powertrain consists of a 3.0-liter turbocharged V6 diesel engine and eight-speed automatic transmission with an integrated electric motor driving all four wheels. Audi estimates combined output at 373 horsepower and 516 pound-feet of torque.

That allows for a 0 to 62 mph time of six seconds and a top speed of 140 mph, or 134.8 mpg on the (admittedly optimistic) European testing cycle when driven a bit more conservatively.

A 17.3-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery pack provides enough capacity for an electric-only range of 34.8 miles. Recharging takes about two hours from a 240-volt Level 2 source, and Audi says it will offer a smartphone app that lets owners remotely manage charging.

When on the move drivers will be able to choose between electric-only mode and hybrid mode, as well as battery-hold mode for keeping the battery at a set state of charge, and a recharge mode that prioritizes energy recovery...
http://ecomento.com/2015/03/04/2016-audi-q7-e-tron-diesel-plug-in-hybrid-details/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The fact that it is a diesel is actually of far more in interest to me.

edatoakrun said:
The 2016 Audi Q7 e-tron will launch later this year as the brand’s second plug-in hybrid, and its first with a diesel engine.

TomT said:
The fact that it is a diesel is actually of far more in interest to me.

edatoakrun said:
No doubt - it's about time!

It's interesting that in spite of the on-board ICE (thought one with less waste heat than a gasoline burner) that they're using a heat pump for the cabin.

Perhaps a few more spec's in this Audi press release but just wanted to keep this thread alive as this new Q7 e-tron will do the 'magic' 30 miles for my work commute (another source said 32.7 miles in the gas version in China; it's a 2.0 turbo versus 3.0 diesel for their market) so it just went to the top of my 'potential' list --- this could combine my daily commuter ('12 LEAF) and my trip/utility SUV ('13 Touareg) into a single car. I've owned diesels in the past (a '98 New Beetle TDI) and these have come a long way to be much more cleaner with bladder busting range. Still speculation on pricing but at least starting at around $60K; we'll need to see what premium the added electric aspect gets; if its like Volvo's approach probably just not worth it ... we'll see

http://www.audiusa.com/newsroom/new...imal-emissions-the-new-audi-q7-e-tron-3-0-tdi

As with a number of other PHEV SUV's; won't see this in the US until 2016 but it was said that this would be a 'global' approach but I'm sure CA will see it well before the rest of the US

Another derivation of the e-tron platform ... listed as 'somewhere between a Q7 and A6' ...

Audi e-tron quattro concept at the IAA 2015

Audi-e-tron-quattro-concept-at.jpg

http://www.pppfocus.com/audi-e-tron-quattro-concept-at-the-iaa-13431/

'Keen to project a performance image for the model, Audi plans to provide the e-tron Quattro with at least 500bhp and 516lb ft.

Three electric motors – one at the front axle, two at the rear – will offer fully electric four-wheel drive.'

Rendering is perhaps a bit of an exaggeration (not much 'greenhouse' -- side windows) but then again the Land Rover Evoque uses something similar ...

2012-range-rover-evoque.jpg

Now it's '34.8 miles' using electricity; lots more photos but some info may be dated based on the latest revelations/implications of the diesel powertrain; had heard for the US that we would get a gas and not diesel version but it still a ways out ...

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/11/audi-details-super-frugal-plug-in.html

I already don't like where they put the charging port (direct opposite of the gas filler on the other side); the A3 e-tron did it right under the front grill; but then again hopefully I could safely back this thing in if needed and it clears the garage doors.

2015-AudiQ7ETRONTDI-50.jpg

Also, pretty long and wide ... 198.86 in (16.6 ft) long and a bit over 87 in (with mirrors -- 7.3 ft) so may be too wide to clear my garage door (my Touareg is 76.4 in. wide and clears by just a few inches on either side; I can deal with the extra 10" of length)

2015-AudiQ7ETRONTDI-59.jpg

Will wait and see if the Touareg version of this new platform will be about the same size as they already have planned a much larger Tiguan (this site shows the 'XL' version at only 2 inches less length than my '13 Touareg; current Tiguan is 14.3 inches shorter)

http://www.netcarshow.com/volkswagen/2017-tiguan/

redLEAF said:
<snip>
Also, pretty long and wide ... 198.86 in (16.6 ft) long and a bit over 87 in (with mirrors -- 7.3 ft) so may be too wide to clear my garage door (my Touareg is 76.4 in. wide and clears by just a few inches on either side; I can deal with the extra 10" of length) <snip>
That thing's huge. For comparison, my 2003 Forester's 175" x 68" x 65", and I really don't want a car that's more than 180" (15') long; the current Forester's just over my limit (181" x 71" x 66-68"). The A3 e-tron's probably a bit short, only 170" x 70" x 56", but the Golf Sportwagen's right on it, 180" x 71" x 58", albeit a bit wider than I'd like.

This recent road test bodes well for its potential EV range; simple math gives it slightly more than 41 miles ...

Over almost 100 km (62 miles) of mixed travel, driving normally, a data logger in the car showed that fully two-thirds of our miles were covered on electricity only. Just one-third required the diesel engine to start, either in hybrid or engine-only modes.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news...ttro-first-drive-of-diesel-plug-in-hybrid-suv

Although, based on the recent EPA issues with its diesel emissions; we'll probably get the gas version which will bring this 'real world' number down; it's interesting that the reviewer failed to mention anything about what they saw versus what they predict ...

The company quotes a range of 50 kilometers (35 miles) of electric range on the European test cycle. Assuming the battery size remains constant in the version that comes to the States, EPA numbers are likely to be somewhere in the mid-20s.

Beware of the "funny math" that seems to come with PHEVs. I don't know how Audi calculates their "EV miles", but I know that Chevy and Ford calculate them very differently.

If you have a depleted battery, with the car operating in hybrid mode, the Volt will report zero EV miles. Ford will cheerfully tell you that every mile your hybrid drives without the engine running is an "EV mile". So in the first case, "EV miles" refer to miles driven from grid electricity - the way that I, and presumably most of us here, would think of it. In the second case, "EV miles" refer simply to miles driven without the gas engine running, even if the energy in those electrons originally came from burning gasoline (via the engine directly charging the battery, or indirectly via regen). I have taken trips in my CMax Energi with a depleted battery that Ford reports as high as 75% EV miles. I love the car, but this blatant green-washing drives me mad!

From the wording in the article, it sounds like Audi is actually being more honest here :shock: Or maybe it's a third-party data logger?

GetOffYourGas said:
Beware of the "funny math" that seems to come with PHEVs. I don't know how Audi calculates their "EV miles", but I know that Chevy and Ford calculate them very differently.

If you have a depleted battery, with the car operating in hybrid mode, the Volt will report zero EV miles. Ford will cheerfully tell you that every mile your hybrid drives without the engine running is an "EV mile". So in the first case, "EV miles" refer to miles driven from grid electricity - the way that I, and presumably most of us here, would think of it. In the second case, "EV miles" refer simply to miles driven without the gas engine running, even if the energy in those electrons originally came from burning gasoline (via the engine directly charging the battery, or indirectly via regen). I have taken trips in my CMax Energi with a depleted battery that Ford reports as high as 75% EV miles. I love the car, but this blatant green-washing drives me mad!

From the wording in the article, it sounds like Audi is actually being more honest here :shock: Or maybe it's a third-party data logger?

Quite true ... I recently test drove an Audi A3 e-tron in downtown Chicago and it was so quiet versus all the noise around us, it was hard at times to determine when it was in the gas vs EV; plus probably just like its bigger brother, it has a mode that will have the engine fully recharge the battery while driving so it can be used later as well as you wouldn't have to stop and plug it in --- I don't think the car makes judgements as to where or how it was refueled with electricity but shouldn't 'count' the charging of the battery as EV use time. As always, YMMV and for example Volt owners have reported many times where the car exceeds the EPA estimates; perhaps its just wishful thinking on my part, but still hoping for a solid 3-season PHEV that can see no gas use during weekly 30 mile per day M-F commutes ... this Q7 could beat its big-SUV rivals in the long run, we'll have to wait longer 2018 even? but we'll eventually see

A reasonable rationale for counting engine-charged electric miles as "EV miles" is the fact that the car emits no pollution while driving in EV mode, even if the charge came from gasoline. This is especially important in Europe, where some inner city areas are becoming "EV only" zones at certain times of day.

GRA said:
redLEAF said:
Just general details about the fossil fuel only versions for 2017 but doesn't bode well with what the PHEV might cost, it will be $$$$$ more to say the least

2017 Audi Q7 gets $6,500 price bump

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/2017-audi-q7-gets-6500-price-bump#ixzz3rI6Cb3dw
Given VW's situation, maybe they'll price the PHEV the same to get some credit back with the public.

... as the 'tentative' price for the Quattro e-tron concept is expected to be this high, doubt that the Q7 e-tron would be 20K less

If the Quattro is still very much a concept in process, my very early drive of the Q7 e-tron showed a vehicle that it is already fully baked. A plug-in hybrid, this Q7 variant will go on sale next year in Europe at a price of 80,500 euro (about $85,800). The States will get it the year after.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/17/9748036/audi-electric-car-plans-a3-sportback-e-tron-q7-hybrid

redLEAF said:
GRA said:
redLEAF said:
Just general details about the fossil fuel only versions for 2017 but doesn't bode well with what the PHEV might cost, it will be $$$$$ more to say the least

2017 Audi Q7 gets $6,500 price bump

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/2017-audi-q7-gets-6500-price-bump#ixzz3rI6Cb3dw
Given VW's situation, maybe they'll price the PHEV the same to get some credit back with the public.

... as the 'tentative' price for the Quattro e-tron concept is expected to be this high, doubt that the Q7 e-tron would be 20K less

If the Quattro is still very much a concept in process, my very early drive of the Q7 e-tron showed a vehicle that it is already fully baked. A plug-in hybrid, this Q7 variant will go on sale next year in Europe at a price of 80,500 euro (about $85,800). The States will get it the year after.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/17/9748036/audi-electric-car-plans-a3-sportback-e-tron-q7-hybrid
I expect it depends on whether any of that is tax.

I was on the same media drive with Jason (Verge) and John (GCR), and, coincidentally, in the back seat for the drive w John and Sebastian from Autoblog...

Both the A3 and Q7 e-trons have the same drive modes, including both "hold battery" and "charge battery" that were primarily designed with Europe and congestion charges in mind (also why the Volt/Ampera got a hold battery mode). And they're very similar in operation in general, with the exception of the Q7 having an additional assistance mode of letting the car decide, based on route planning, when to use each of the four drive modes for maximum overall efficiency of both fuels, vs. the driver choosing (generally) to prioritize EV driving or hybrid (efficiency) driving. But both are also parallel PHEVs, so if you put your foot into it in any mode, the gas engine will come on. And despite us having been in the TDI version on that drive, it's almost guaranteed that the TFSI version is what will come to the US- even before the diesel situation, IMO, but definitely in light of it.

Also, all indications are that the e-tron quattro (250+ mile BEV, due in late 2018) will be priced lower than the Q7 e-tron (PHEV, likely due earlier in 2018).

Pricing announced for its intro in UK ...

65K GBP = 90.8K USD --- that's easily Tesla X territory; doubt we'll ever see the TDI version (and Audi in the past has mentioned this) here in the US, have seen a few ICE only versions of the new Q7 on the road as well as at the recent Chicago Auto Show (but only PHEV the had on display was the A3 e-tron) this is a BIG car...

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/02/audi-q7-e-tron-uk-prices-will-start.html

redLEAF said:
Pricing announced for its intro in UK ...

65K GBP = 90.8K USD --- that's easily Tesla X territory; doubt we'll ever see the TDI version (and Audi in the past has mentioned this) here in the US, have seen a few ICE only versions of the new Q7 on the road as well as at the recent Chicago Auto Show (but only PHEV the had on display was the A3 e-tron) this is a BIG car...

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/02/audi-q7-e-tron-uk-prices-will-start.html
In Germany 80,500 euros, or $112,339, per ievs: http://insideevs.com/audi-announces-full-specs-and-pricing-for-q7-e-tron-tdi/

In short, the price is almost entirely dependent on taxes and incentives, and I wouldn't expect the U.S. price (of a gas version) to bear much relationship to European prices.

Additional test of Q7 ... down to (equivalent) of $85K USD but also less electric miles range (estimated) at 34.8 also less seats (due to the battery) to 5 from 7.

If it could consistently get 30+ on electricity (regardless of weather, etc.) it might actually be something I might consider as that's my daily M-F work commute BUT for $85K plus a little bit, a Tesla X would actually be a close contender -- lastly, even though the 2 additional seats lost are something I wouldn't need, may be needed by others (even if just for kids, etc.)

http://insideevs.com/drive-audi-q7-e-tron/

Back