Hyundai Sonata PHEV - 27 EV miles, on sale later 2015

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

In case there isn't already one: http://www.hyundainews.com/us/en/media/pressreleases/42726/2016-hyundai-sonata-plug-in-hybrid-expected-to-deliver-class-leading-22-mile-all-electric-range" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I tweaked the subject of the thread - some quick facts on the Sonata PHEV:

• On sale later this year
  • 22 EV miles
  • 50 kW motor
  • 2 1/2 hour L2 recharge time

Only available in compliance states. Battery much better laid out then Ford's plug ins. You can see it at end of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY1_DbztKEo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An updated article...

http://www.hybridcars.com/2016-hyundai-sonata-plug-in-hybrid-sets-new-electric-range-benchmark/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now they are quoting 24 mile AER and the author said they got 28 on their test drive. GM better watch out, these guys are closing the gap with the Volt with a substantially roomier vehicle.

U.S. EPA fuel numbers are not in yet, but Hyundai estimates 24 miles range and this we exceeded by over four miles without difficulty on the road this week. Other information about our drive in Southern California is “embargoed” by Hyundai, but this data point we were granted permission to publish ahead of a media blackout on drive impressions in effect until next Tuesday.

Our all-electric suburban trip of 28.4 miles with HVAC on and up to 55 mph at brief points split the gap between the highest-rated blended PHEV, the 19-mile-rated Ford Fusion Energi, and the first-generation 38-mile extended-range Chevy Volt. In speaking with another publication’s driver, he got over 27 miles on the same course, so we don’t believe this was a fluke.

It was at the Detroit show and I fell in love with it! The interior was really nice, felt very well built and was planned out well. The trunk was very usable for a plug in and trumps the fusion. That had been my previous favourite electric and would have bought one over my old ICE optima if the trunk had been big enough. Still not enough AER for me but for someone who does less than what's quoted I think it's nicer than any of the other choices and much roomier than the volt!!! Although no one got to sit in the new volt at the show.

minispeed said:
Still not enough AER for me but for someone who does less than what's quoted I think it's nicer than any of the other choices and much roomier than the volt!!!
I agree GM is more in tune with the minimum AER people will find useful and satisfying, but they really should be smarter when it comes to the size and form factor of the car just by looking at their own market segment stats.

LTLFTcomposite said:
minispeed said:
Still not enough AER for me but for someone who does less than what's quoted I think it's nicer than any of the other choices and much roomier than the volt!!!
I agree GM is more in tune with the minimum AER people will find useful and satisfying, but they really should be smarter when it comes to the size and form factor of the car just by looking at their own market segment stats.

Well the old volt wasn't even enough for me, the new one is close. I need 55 miles cold. I could live with just 5 miles of ICE driving everyday though.

The auto market is way too complex to single out one thing though. The volt was too small for me in the back seat and many buyers say they passed because of only 4 seats. If I was willing to drive 17 ICE miles a day in a volt I would prefer to drive 30ish in the Sonata since it would serve the family better. If they gave the Sonata more batteries and thus had a trunk the size of the fusion it might go the same AER as the volt but then I'd buy a volt because I need more trunk space and I'd live with the smaller back seat.

LTLFTcomposite said:
minispeed said:
There's a variety of minimum AERs that are 'useful and satisfying'. I'd say that the PiP's six miles continuous (with care) is too short to be useful for most people, but I believe that 20-25 miles is a good minimum, as it can be fully charged overnight on L1, which is all most renters have, will cover a considerable % of commutes, and at least allow most if not all urban and stop-and-go driving to be electric, which is where the best efficiency and most pollution reductions are. Given workplace L1 also, it will cover 80% or so.

The primary need to make PHEVs (and BEVs) mainstream is to get the prices down, and the way to do that at the moment is with the smallest battery that large numbers of people find useful. This also boosts the range when running on the ICE, and shouldn't encroach on interior room much if at all, if done right (i.e. like VW, not the Energis). The ability to use a standard platform with a variety of power trains will also help cut the costs.

Yeah, I must say that this is appealing for me, having just come from a Sonata, which I liked quite a bit. The two drawbacks for me are (a) I just bought the LEAF and (b) it's not for sale in Illinois :( Also (c) I don't have anywhere to plug in at work, so my 20 mile commute one-way would mean going back to gas on the return trip. But of course, (c) can change with time.

There's a variety of minimum AERs that are 'useful and satisfying'. I'd say that the PiP's six miles continuous (with care) is too short to be useful for most people, but I believe that 20-25 miles is a good minimum...

The PIP can easily get 10+ miles "continuous" AER, with no particular "care" except not literally flooring it. I'm not sure why people don't just note that its actual AER of about 15 miles Summer, 10 miles Winter (with heat off), isn't enough, instead of misrepresenting it...

ishiyakazuo said:
Yeah, I must say that this is appealing for me, having just come from a Sonata, which I liked quite a bit. The two drawbacks for me are (a) I just bought the LEAF and (b) it's not for sale in Illinois :( Also (c) I don't have anywhere to plug in at work, so my 20 mile commute one-way would mean going back to gas on the return trip. But of course, (c) can change with time.

It will be for sale in all 50 states just that they won't stock it so you can't test drive the plug in version you'll have to test drive the regular one and order plug in.

LeftieBiker said:
There's a variety of minimum AERs that are 'useful and satisfying'. I'd say that the PiP's six miles continuous (with care) is too short to be useful for most people, but I believe that 20-25 miles is a good minimum...

The PIP can easily get 10+ miles "continuous" AER, with no particular "care" except not literally flooring it. I'm not sure why people don't just note that its actual AER of about 15 miles Summer, 10 miles Winter (with heat off), isn't enough, instead of misrepresenting it...
I say it because that doesn't seem to be possible for the average driver driving as they typically do, as opposed to EV geeks who get off on seeing how far they can stretch the AER. I've been able to 'easily' exceed the EPA highway MPG on every car I've owned, but that doesn't mean that the typical driver does so.

minispeed said:
ishiyakazuo said:

It will be for sale in all 50 states just that they won't stock it so you can't test drive the plug in version you'll have to test drive the regular one and order plug in.
Via ABG (partial quote):
Hyundai has a reason for choosing the ZEV states as a starting point, O'Brien said. "The ten states are spending more money on charging infrastructure, so you can park at work, you can park while you're in the grocery store, and you can charge your car while you're doing it." In any other state, where the plug-in infrastructure is weaker, a customer can order a PHEV Sonata just as if they were going to get a specific color Veloster that the local dealer didn't have in stock, O'Brien said. "It's really no different."

2016 Hyundai Sonata PHEV sales plan slide

"If you just look at the sales, basically all our competitors, over half of their plug-in hybrid sales are right here in the state of California," O'Brien said. "Usually, much more than half. If you cover the ZEV states, you're going to cover over 85 percent of the sales [emphasis added] already. And we're going to make sure that our dealers can accommodate and customers that wish to buy outside those states."
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/05/22/2016-hyundai-sonata-phev-50-state-car-sort-of/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GRA said:
LeftieBiker said:

I say it because that doesn't seem to be possible for the average driver driving as they typically do, as opposed to EV geeks who get off on seeing how far they can stretch the AER. I've been able to 'easily' exceed the EPA highway MPG on every car I've owned, but that doesn't mean that the typical driver does so.

Our PIP is driven my my housemate, a woman who hates/fears EVs (She won't even drive my Leaf unless I'm with her, and doesn't like it when she does) and is not a Geek of any sort - she's more a technophobe. She drives a little slowly (55-60MPH) on the highway, but often accelerates faster than I do. She easily gets the ranges I quoted above. She does tend to leave the A/C off, but that doesn't make a big difference in 95% of our driving. I'm willing to bet that anyone who drives a Prius and gets at least 50MPG (that's most of the eco-minded Prius drivers, not just the hypermilers) can get at least 12 miles EV range in a PIP in mild weather.

GRA said:
minispeed said:
ishiyakazuo said:

Via ABG (partial quote):
Hyundai has a reason for choosing the ZEV states as a starting point, O'Brien said. "The ten states are spending more money on charging infrastructure, so you can park at work, you can park while you're in the grocery store, and you can charge your car while you're doing it." In any other state, where the plug-in infrastructure is weaker, a customer can order a PHEV Sonata just as if they were going to get a specific color Veloster that the local dealer didn't have in stock, O'Brien said. "It's really no different."

2016 Hyundai Sonata PHEV sales plan slide

"If you just look at the sales, basically all our competitors, over half of their plug-in hybrid sales are right here in the state of California," O'Brien said. "Usually, much more than half. If you cover the ZEV states, you're going to cover over 85 percent of the sales [emphasis added] already. And we're going to make sure that our dealers can accommodate and customers that wish to buy outside those states."
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/05/22/2016-hyundai-sonata-phev-50-state-car-sort-of/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes read it like 3 times and still it says you can order a 2016 PHEV Sonata in other states. Will it be easy, no. Will it be a smooth buying experience like in the ZEV states, no. Will you find dealers who don't want to order one for you, probably. You'll also probably have to pay full sticker and put down a large deposit but you can still get one.

Back