Tesla "D" Oct 9

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
charge said:
So dual motor S = 4wd S?

That's the winner. An AWD S comes out? Buying that in a heart beat. No excuses now for ski country and it would make it there and back like the Prius.

Makes no sense to me to obscure and then "unveil" a Model S. Even if it did have 2 motors.

What is long overdue is reveal of the production version of Model X.

So maybe they have decided to change the name. Model X was a concept/prototype after all.

Now it's "Model D", for dual-motor drive? Accentuates a main selling point. Makes sense to me.

Given his comment that the twitter responses made him ROFL and made him glad he didn't mention the "other letter", I agree it's dual motors. The other letter is also a D, for Dual Drive, which would have resulted in a ton of off color DD jokes.

2k1Toaster said:
charge said:
So dual motor S = 4wd S?

That's the winner. An AWD S comes out? Buying that in a heart beat. No excuses now for ski country and it would make it there and back like the Prius.

The S is beautiful with the special edition Yakima that screws right into those hidden bolts on the panoramic roof. I would have to buy better skis just to not cheap up that look.

The D is driver assistance. They won't do dual motors in the Model S until after the X is available.

Lane Departure Warning
Adaptive cruise control
Blind spot warning/detection.

edit: I stand corrected. There is now an image of a P85 with a badge P85D. They would not badge the car for driver assist, only for something significant like dual motors.

What about the "Something Else"?

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/1/6886301/tesla-prepares-to-unveil-new-car-and-something-else" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe it's a Tesla Motorcycle?

Or the Model 3 is ready for pre-orders?

Maybe there really isn't going to be a Model 3 but just an entry level S that starts at 35K

Or it could just be that the 400 mile batteries are ready for the Roadsters.

Though everyone thinks this is the P85D (AWD, dual motor), which makes sense given the timing with the X coming and sharing the same platform- I still think the "D" is Driver Assistance. The "other letter" he later tweeted about, that he was lucky he didn't say, was "A", which makes perfect sense given the context of poor choice of words with "Unveiling the D". However, one could make the same argument for P in P85D. There are references to driver assist in the new Tesla software release. So my bet is on Driver Assistance. The "other thing" will probably be Roadster related.

Anyway, that's my guess.

OzO2hht.png

Back