Cost per mile of range, eleven BEVs ranked

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgpcolorado

An outfit called mojomotors.com put together an interesting analysis of eleven BEVs ranked by dollars per mile of range:

How much are you paying per mile in an EV?

cost_per_mile_range_electric_vehicle.jpg

The information was reported by wallstcheatsheet.com in a nicely done article that includes a picture of each car and a summary of its attributes, including efficiency:

Top 11 Electric Vehicles Ranked by Cost Per Mile of Range
Range anxiety has been the rage in electric vehicle critiques for years, but studies say most available plug-in cars would get the job done 95 percent of the time. Those numbers were crunched by Columbia University scholars using data from the massive National Household Travel Survey by the U.S. Department of Transportation a few years back. In the end, they found all but 5 percent of trips made by U.S. drivers lasted under 30 miles.
The table from which the 30 mile number came from is here:
http://nhts.ornl.gov/tables09/fatcat/2009/vt_TRPMILES.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think they should call that "Purchase Price per Mile of Range" to clearly differentiate from the cost-per-mile to operate the vehicle, which is also an important figure-of-merit.

Used standard charge on RAV and extended charge on Model S. :|
Probably should include lease incentives in excess of $7,500.
I think RAV is closer to $325

RegGuheert said:
I think they should call that "Purchase Price per Mile of Range" to clearly differentiate from the cost-per-mile to operate the vehicle, which is also an important figure-of-merit.

This is mildly interesting, however pretty pointless.
The cost/mile to operate the vehicle is far more important.

The most important thing is matching the car's range with driving habits.

Real world experience. 2011 Leaf driven in Los Angeles (freeway and streets, not much use of heater). 14 months of driving: 13,981 miles. Home EV meter change: 4,027 kWh (I don't charge away from my home). Average cost per kWh from LADWP for dedicated EV meter on Time of Use (including all fees and taxes): 12.16 cents/kWh

Electricity cost per mile driven: 3.50 cents.

Additionally, in the past three years, I have had one wheel alignment repair (maybe $150 - I don't remember) and no other repairs.

Back