Golf GTE -- PHEV not for the US

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redLEAF

Like the stats (up to 31 pure-electric miles, close to 600 miles total range) but not the estimated price, $48K USD; also kind of odd that the cap/cover for the charging outlet appears to be quite similar to a old style gas-filler cover, even with a tether. I do like its located in the 'nose' like our LEAF's; the loss of almost 4 cu. ft. of cargo space isn't insignificant either.

This will make what does come over (A3 e-tron) interesting as to what its price point might end up as its on a quite similar platform ...

Golf_GTE__20140829016.jpg

Golf_GTE__20140830024.jpg

http://autoweek.com/article/car-rev...er&utm_content=body&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

Yeah, it's a shame - I would've considered it as my "other" car, especially if the Mitsu Outlander PHEV gets delayed any more.

Hopefully VW will change their minds and offer it in the US. I think it would sell better than the eGolf to US buyers, especially those in the red(neck) states (no offense intended).

ahagge said:
Yeah, it's a shame - I would've considered it as my "other" car, especially if the Mitsu Outlander PHEV gets delayed any more.

Hopefully VW will change their minds and offer it in the US. I think it would sell better than the eGolf to US buyers, especially those in the red(neck) states (no offense intended).

I saw 2 outlander PHEV at Mitsubishi Canada the other day, fully plated, hopefully that means a north american version is coming soon.

I don't understand how VW plans to become the largest plugin producer if they don't even try selling their non-compliance cars in US.

evnow said:
I don't understand how VW plans to become the largest plugin producer if they don't even try selling their non-compliance cars in US.

When they say that they mean the VW group.

Audi has stated that every single one of their cars will be offered with an "E-Tron" option. They've flip flopped a couple times so I'll beleive it when I see it.

They have way too much product overlap to offer everything here. The golf is to Europe what the Camery is to North America, if you make it they will buy it. Over here if you want a BEV you get the E-Golf, if you want the PHEV you get the A3 E-Tron. If they also released the GTE they would probobably get most of the sales at the cost of either the E-Golf or A3 E-Tron.

It also depends how you define largest "producer", all auto manufactures will play word and number games to get better claims. Is the largest "producer" the one who makes the most cars regardless of model, or who "produces" the largest selection for the consumer to choose from.

So far just from my memory VW group has, or will soon have:
Panamera plug in
Cayenne plug in
A3 E tron
A8 E tron (limited run)
A6 E tron (China)
E-Golf
Golf GTE (not N.A.)
XL1 (limited, not N.A.)

No one else comes close to the number of models. I would expect the E-Golf to make a serious dent in Nissan's European sales, that should give them a good chance of also selling the highest volume.

minispeed said:
It also depends how you define largest "producer", all auto manufactures will play word and number games to get better claims. Is the largest "producer" the one who makes the most cars regardless of model, or who "produces" the largest selection for the consumer to choose from.
I've never seen any producer claim "largest" in the sense of producing the most models. So, I'm sure they mean largest producer - in numbers - of plugins.

Even if there are some overlaps - they need to make all of the plugins available to increase sales. I'm sure Audi e-tron and Golf GTE aren't priced the same.

Back