GM building a 200 mile BEV for $35k ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

There have been a number of news articles in insideevs.com and greencarreports.com about a rumored 200 mile BEV by GM.

This would be an interesting development if true.

There was a recent focus group which someone attended - and possibly against NDA - spilled the beans on some details. Speculation is that the 205 EPA range BEV is a GM vehicle.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?132890-200-Mile-GM-Bolt-Before-Focus-Group-(Maybe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

bolt_zps4bde0d94.png

Can't wait to see the new EV cars in the upcoming years. This is a Great time for EVs!!!! :)

More choices, better range, price wars, etc. all good things!

Lasareath said:
Can't wait to see the new EV cars in the upcoming years. This is a Great time for EVs!!!! :)

More choices, better range, price wars, etc. all good things!

+1000!

Lots of rumors, however it sounds very promising.
The more competitors and the more choices the better.

I just want someone to do it for 2016! That's not looking super likely though.

And knowing GM, they'll put out some 200+ mile car, but it'll be tiny and combo-only, so you couldn't use it for road trips anyway.

GM haters/EV1 axe grinders will say nay but I say yay, bring it on.

A few days ago I got an email from Chevy about some Hennessey supercharched Corvette nonsense, further instilling fear they don't have a clue what brought me back to the brand after a 30 year absence. I'm taking the optimist view that's just the left hand not knowing what the more forward-thinking right hand is doing.

Yeh, but they will goon up the pricing. It will be 70K for about 9 months until they wake up and figure out it is in the range of a Model S or X.

It will be a hot seller until Tesla model 3 arrives in mass quantities. Will sell well until end of 2017, then everyone will prefer a Tesla to a Chevy.

bbrowncods said:
Yeh, but they will goon up the pricing. It will be 70K for about 9 months until they wake up and figure out it is in the range of a Model S or X.
Supposed to be $35k base and $39k loaded. See the linked image above (that part of the article was taken down by insideevs.com).

I happen to love that "Corvette nonsense..." Likewise, if GM can build a NICE 200 mile EV in that price range, it will get serious attention from me... When all is said and done, it likely would be about $10K cheaper than the Tesla 3, comparably equipped...

LTLFTcomposite said:
A few days ago I got an email from Chevy about some Hennessey supercharged Corvette nonsense.

TomT said:
Likewise, if GM can build a NICE 200 mile EV in that price range, it will get serious attention from me... When all is said and done, it likely would be about $10K cheaper than the Tesla 3, comparably equipped...
The problem is GM seems to be building a "sonic" BEV. Small and likely not so well built or well equipped.

DanCar said:
It will be a hot seller until Tesla model 3 arrives in mass quantities. Will sell well until end of 2017, then everyone will prefer a Tesla to a Chevy.

Why? I don't have some over-arching allegiance to Tesla. I give them all the props in the world for building an amazing car, but no one has built an affordable 200-mile car yet. The first company to do so will be getting my money. In fact, if they were the same price and range, I'd probably go with the Nissan. The Leaf has generally been a lot more reliable than the Model S, and I like some of Nissan's features more, like around view and the charging port at the front of the car.

pkulak said:
Why? I don't have some over-arching allegiance to Tesla. I give them all the props in the world for building an amazing car, but no one has built an affordable 200-mile car yet. The first company to do so will be getting my money. In fact, if they were the same price and range, I'd probably go with the Nissan. The Leaf has generally been a lot more reliable than the Model S, and I like some of Nissan's features more, like around view and the charging port at the front of the car.
Agreed. The only significant issue I have with my Leaf is accelerated battery capacity loss. Other than that, I am very happy with it. Will be good to have choices.

pkulak said:
DanCar said:

Only way GM can compete with Tesla would be on price. They don't have the QC network, they have a bad reputation and will compete with a sub-compact. And then we have to tackle their dealers. One thing GM has over Nissan - it's a domestic OEM also doesn't work with Tesla.

pkulak said:
Tesla is revered for many reasons, such as
  • No dealer hassle
  • Better technology on the console. How does the navigator work on GM? Horrid on a leaf.
  • Less expensive to maintain. Much is under warranty for a Tesla.
  • Have better luck with a tesla to upgrade the battery pack. 400 mile Tesla?
  • Faster charging
  • Innovative features like the door handles, use phone as key, third row seating, frunk, etc...
  • Expect Tesla to have more interior space
  • Expect Tesla to have higher performance
I wish GM luck, I will lease a bolt myself if it comes out quickly enough, but I doubt it will compare well to model 3 unless they cut the price. I expect the bolt to be low performance to maximize efficiency and therefore reach 200 mile range goal.

DanCar said:
pkulak said:
Tesla is revered for many reasons, such as
  • No dealer hassle
  • Better technology on the console. How does the navigator work on GM? Horrid on a leaf.
  • Less expensive to maintain. Much is under warranty for a Tesla.
  • Have better luck with a tesla to upgrade the battery pack. 400 mile Tesla?
  • Faster charging
  • Innovative features like the door handles, use phone as key, third row seating, frunk, etc...
  • Expect Tesla to have more interior space
  • Expect Tesla to have higher performance
I wish GM luck, I will lease a bolt myself if it comes out quickly enough, but I doubt it will compare well to model 3 unless they cut the price. I expect the bolt to be low performance to maximize efficiency and therefore reach 200 mile range goal.

You're listing a lot of features of a $70,000 car as if that has any bearing on a future $35,000 car.

pkulak said:
You're listing a lot of features of a $70,000 car as if that has any bearing on a future $35,000 car.
Only this one may not be available... esp 3rd row

•Innovative features like the door handles, use phone as key, third row seating, frunk, etc...

I see some people making assumptions on what the Model 3 will or won't have and how much it will or won't cost.

I'll be buying whichever car better meets my needs first, then the business model.

If the Model 3 and 2nd gen Leaf have the same stats, and the business models are as they are now, I will buy a Model 3.

The main reasons are the direct sales and service model and the far better supercharger access.

Yes, superchargers may be a paid option (I expect it to be). I'm ok with that.
And after having the wonderful experience with Tesla sales and service, I can't imagine trying my luck at the Russian roulette of car dealers again.

I'm pretty skeptical of the success of this vehicle if rumors of the size are true. I'm fine with the size, but just based on the comments I see online and in person everybody wants a larger car or small SUV. So they are still missing the larger market if they make a small car.

Myself, all things being equal, I'd rather have a 40-mile PHEV than a 200-mile BEV anyway. So the new Volt will be more interesting to me than this BEV.

Back