Nissan, Mitsubishi 50-50 joint venture low-cost electric car

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edatoakrun

Looks like Nissan will have at least four BEV models out by ~2017 (LEAF, e-NV200, Infiniti LE) but I doubt this one will be imported to the USA.

I would not be surprised however, if aspects of the current LEAF drivetrain and/or battery pack was carried over to the smaller BEV, to keep production costs as low as possible.

August 4, 2014 2:00 am JST

Nissan, Mitsubishi to join hands on low-cost electric car

The new model will be significantly cheaper than existing electric cars, such as the Leaf.

TOKYO -- Nissan Motor and Mitsubishi Motors will work together to develop a minicar-based electric vehicle, aiming to release a new model in fiscal 2016 at the lowest price among major automakers.

The carmakers have set up a 50-50 joint venture to pursue development.

Nissan, which released the Leaf electric car in 2010, is the world's largest manufacturer of electric vehicles, with global sales of at least 124,000 units. (actually, getting close to 140,000 by now, I believe) Mitsubishi has a track record in this area as well, including the minicar-based i-MiEV released in 2009. They plan to co-produce the new car and work together to procure such key components as lithium-ion batteries...

Minivehicles incorporate the latest cost-reducing technologies such as lighter parts. By basing the new model on minicars, Nissan and Mitsubishi expect to sell it for around 1.5 million yen including subsidies, (~$15,000, and ~$3,000 less than the current JDM i-MiEV post-subsidy price) the lowest price among major automakers and similar to gas-fueled compacts....
http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Deals/Nissan-Mitsubishi-to-join-hands-on-low-cost-electric-car" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back