Have three choices become four? (or five?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTLFTcomposite

Not being in CA for a long time I have told folks who ask there are three main choices for cars with plugs: Leaf, Volt and Tesla. Maybe a fourth should be added, i3, but are they still smoking crack on the lease rates? Cmax energi is readily available but AER is a joke. So maybe the list is still only three long.

Leaf, Volt, Tesla, BMW i3, MB B EV, Ford Energi and FFE... So, at least six.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Not being in CA for a long time I have told folks who ask there are three main choices for cars with plugs: Leaf, Volt and Tesla. Maybe a fourth should be added, i3, but are they still smoking crack on the lease rates? Cmax energi is readily available but AER is a joke. So maybe the list is still only three long.

MB not available till next year. Focus ev is rare, I don't think Ford is serious about it. Cmax energi is available though, that would be #5.
Plug in Prius is only in CA I thought.

In addition to the Mercedes B-EV, other upcoming German EV candidates are the VW eGolf (all-electric) and Audi A3 eTron (PHEV with claimed 30 mile pure electric range). Both are expected to be available around the end of the year. VW will also come out (if not on sale in Europe already) with its own version of the eTron called the Golf GTE but it likely will not be sold here as it will be the Audi's cheaper competition.

Mitsubishi is expected to come out with the PHEV version of its latest Outlander; that model is already for sale in Japan and I believe Europe.

The Kia Soul EV is expected to come out very soon.

LTLFTcomposite said:

It's definitely available in at least NY as well, I see them all the time. Way more than I see Leafs, actually. I don't get the appeal. I saw a guy driving one the other day and he didn't even have HOV stickers...I don't get it.

TomT said:
There are a number of them already on the road here...

LTLFTcomposite said:
MB not available till next year.

According to the Chicago Tribune, the MB has only been available in the greater LA area:

http://cars.chicagotribune.com/fuel-efficient/news/chi-auto-review-2015-mercedesbenz-bclass-electric-drive-20140609" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, the MB USA website does show the car so perhaps it is only available to SoCal people initially and will eventually be rolled out to more markets.

NYLEAF said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

It's definitely available in at least NY as well, I see them all the time. Way more than I see Leafs, actually. I don't get the appeal. I saw a guy driving one the other day and he didn't even have HOV stickers...I don't get it.

There are about five "CARB" states, including NY. Most cars available in CA are also available in these. And yes, I see more PIPs here than I expect to. The $179 lease offer (when the Prius II was $199) probably moved a LOT of them here. My housemate is driving a PIP, with excess wear & tear coverage, for the same payment as a Prius II, and getting 65 or so MPG on the year-round running average the car keeps.

There are various things "coming soon" and available in selected states, compliance cars, what have you. The question is what can you suggest someone can go out and get now in any state that will get you down the road on something other than petroleum.

LeftieBiker said:
... getting 65 or so MPG on the year-round running average the car keeps.

That's it? Wow. When I had my Prius I got mid 50s in town and low 60s on the freeway. All the plugging in, larger battery and price seems like a lot of hassle for 20% better fuel economy. I don't get it at all.

pkulak said:
LeftieBiker said:
... getting 65 or so MPG on the year-round running average the car keeps.

That's it? Wow. When I had my Prius I got mid 50s in town and low 60s on the freeway. All the plugging in, larger battery and price seems like a lot of hassle for 20% better fuel economy. I don't get it at all.

She averaged about 48 with her Prius II. The average includes sub-zero, windy weather. She doesn't mind plugging in, and as for the price, well, I guess you just don't want to read what I wrote.

Add the smart electric drive and Cadillac ELR, these are available (even though in limited numbers) here in the Midwest NOW (not just CA compliance cars) … saw a Chicago area Caddy dealer with $15K off on the ELR, just little to no interest here on that (have yet to see any in the wild yet). On local BMW dealer's, saw one with 3 in stock and another with 4 (both with and without the gas extender) but these are not cheap ($56K posted MSRP?).

Good point, forgot about the smart and elr, although it's easy to see how they could be overlooked.
At the risk of moving the goalposts I'm only including models worthy of consideration.

What about the Spark EV? We don't get it here in EU, which is a shame as I'd like to see it in the mix of choices.

Don't forget Kia Soul EV available this fall...supposedly.

The Kia folks doing demo out here (Kansas City) were actually aware of the vehicle and it's impending release. I was quite surprised.

Back