Volvo XC90 T8

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edatoakrun

IMO, the obvious application for PHEV technology always was the high-end SUV market, where the cost and weight penalties of including an ICE are far less significant, and the simplicity of electric AWD is an improvement over the complex transmission of ICE power to four wheels.

With Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, and Audi all planning their own luxury PHESUVs, it looks like it might be a pretty crowded market segment as soon as this time next year.

Wonder what the implications for the Tesla X are, with an introduction ~simultaneous with this much "plug-in" Euro-competition.

Looking at only the drivetrain specs and interior photos, Volvo may have a very competitive entry in the new class.

The 2015 Volvo XC90 Has 400 HP And Is Cleaner Than A Prius
Volvo engineers must be wizards because their new Twin Engine drivetrain translates to the top of the range XC90 T8 having 400 horsepower and 472 lb-ft of torque with CO2 emissions of around 60 g/km. That's better than the Prius and its 91 g/km of emissions

... the T8 model. It's a seven-seater plug-in hybrid with four-wheel drive, ultra low emissions and a combined output of 400 horsepower and 472 pound-feet of torque....

The two-liter, four-cylinder supercharged and turbocharged petrol engine powering the front wheels gets help from an 80 hp electric motor sending power to the rear wheels. For city cruising, it has an all-electric range of around 25 miles, turning the XC90 into an emission-free rear-wheel drive SUV...

Volvo also claims that since their new Scalable Product Architecture (SPA) chassis was developed with the battery pack in mind from the start, the hybrid system does not compromise interior or luggage space in the XC90...

http://jalopnik.com/the-2015-volvo-xc90-has-400-hp-and-is-cleaner-than-a-pr-1601620363" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The New Volvo XC90's Interior Is Pretty Damn Spectacular
The 2015 Volvo XC90 is here and with it, the Swedish carmaker's new interior design…

I told you before that Volvo's new design language is pure sex, but the new XC90's interior is indeed like a stylish Scandinavian living room with seven canopies and a glass roof...

The simplicity of natural wood and soft leather in accompanied by a huge central touchscreen featuring Apple CarPlay for all your infotainment needs...

http://jalopnik.com/the-new-volvo-xc90s-interior-is-pretty-damn-spectacular-1581951868" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Via ievs.com:
Volvo Unveils XC90 Plug-In Hybrid At 2014 LA Auto Show, On Sale In Less Than 6 Months
http://insideevs.com/volvo-unveils-xc90-plug-hybrid-2014-la-auto-show/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's more competition for the Model X. I'll be curious to see how the sales demographics of the Cayenne S e-hybrid and XC-90 break out. Will the Cayenne attract the more sporty crowd to fit Porsche's demographic, and the Volvo the more practical/safety conscious/outdoorsy crowd to fit Volvo's, or will the choice be largely a matter of size or AER?

BTW, maybe the topic title should be changed to "Official Volvo XC-90 thread" to keep everything in one place.

I think this is the most detail I've seen on the powertrain modes, via GCC:
Volvo XC90 T8 plug-in hybrid 7-seater SUV delivers 59 MPGe; more powertrain details
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2014/12/20141208-volvo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ievs.com article, with some more details including some prices (incl. Canada but not yet U.S.):
Volvo Spills Details On XC90 T8 Plug-In Hybrid SUV – Pricing Released, Order Books Open
http://insideevs.com/volvo-spills-details-on-xc90-t8-plug-in-hybrid-suv-pricing-released-order-books-open/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just adding a mention that unlike a few other mfg.'s, Volvo did actually bring their XC90 T8 plug-in to the Chicago Auto Show; roped-off so no way to check out the interior but could get an idea of its size in person … with just 25 (estimated) full EV range not a real substitute for my own commute (if it could do a 'true' 30 miles I could make it work -- perhaps just a conservative estimate like the Volt was).

This sucker is BIG, not Ford Excursion / Chevy Suburban XL big but more SUV than the latest gen Touareg that I have in my fleet currently; just no longer need something with a 3rd row (which really look like jumper type seats for very small adults or kids).

The overall styling reminds me of latest Range Rover line, front end is an improvement but its still a big box on wheels. I happened to rent one of the previous gen XC90's down in JAX last year taking a few long trips to Orlando, Melbourne, etc. throughout FL. Very comfortable seats but soft mushy ride (at least compared to my Touareg) but it was (IMO) a better size than this latest one … people want the 3rd rows though so I'm probably in the minority.

I'm not a fan of the cars that are "hybrid" just to get more performance. I have no need for 0-60 times under 6 seconds and won't pay a dime for the privilege. It looks like the Outlander will be way cheaper and have far more EV miles. Plus, it's a much better size. I could sure use the third row every once in a while, but I'm not convinced I want to drive around a giant car all the rest of the time.

What I really want is a Mazda 5 PHEV. That thing is a perfect size (about the same size as a Leaf), but it's got a pretty decent third row. Mazda will never do it though. They won't even put a backup camera in that thing, they're so busy trying to drive it down market.

I wonder if Kia could pull off a Rondo PHEV...

Now wealthy soccer moms can feel as though they are green and their husbands can justify the price tag as they can brag about the 0-60 performance. Of course they will never plug it in because it's a hassle and they will forget when unloading 20 shopping bags from the mall. They will love using the single EV charging space at Whole Foods for private parking and tell their friends who will see that as a benefit to easy parking and buy the car for that reason alone :lol: Seems like Volvo nailed it.

EVDRIVER said:
Now wealthy soccer moms can feel as though they are green and their husbands can justify the price tag as they can brag about the 0-60 performance. Of course they will never plug it in because it's a hassle and they will forget when unloading 20 shopping bags from the mall. They will love using the single EV charging space at Whole Foods for private parking and tell their friends who will see that as a benefit to easy parking and buy the car for that reason alone :lol: Seems like Volvo nailed it.

Haha, I think I have to agree with that entire statement, EVDRIVER. ;)
I would much rather see the Volvo C30 Electric come to fruition for purchase... The real world testing in Sweden should be over by now, and the results should be in... Now, when are we going to see THAT Volvo? :(

EVDRIVER said:
Now wealthy soccer moms can feel as though they are green and their husbands can justify the price tag as they can brag about the 0-60 performance....
Doesn't that more accurately describe the Tesla X sales plan?

I expect Volvo will advertise safety:

Ahead of its official U.S. market launch in a few months’ time, Volvo has released official pricing for the 2016 Volvo XC90 T8 plug-in hybrid.

Announced rather quietly — which we’ll admit we and other news outlets missed completely — pricing for Volvo’s first full-size plug-in hybrid will start from $69,995 before incentives, inclusive of a mandatory $995 handling and delivery fee.

For that, you’ll get an impressively-equipped seven-seat SUV, complete with all of the standard safety features found in every Volvo today as well as two new technologies which Volvo says makes this its safest car yet.

First is something called “Run-off Road Protection,” a feature which makes use of a series of sensors and cameras hidden in the body of the car to detect if the car is about to drift off the road due to driver fatigue, distraction or poor weather. When it detects it is about to leave the road, the XC90 T8 applies extra steering torque to keep itself on the road, sounds an internal alarm to warn the drive and its occupants, and tightens the front seat belts to keep the occupants in the best possible psotision [i [/i]in case of collision.

The second is an advancement of Volvo’s cross-collision technology — including an automatic braking system that will automatically stop the car if it detects the driver is trying to turn in front of an oncoming car at an intersection...
https://transportevolved.com/2015/04/27/volvo-prices-2016-xc90-plug-in-hybrid-from-69095-before-incentives/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think a lot of buyers will cross-shop all the upcoming LPHESUVs with the X, though I expect that the Tesla (when available) will cost ~$10,000-$20,000 more than the Volvo, when comparably equipped.

Both of these model's introductions may be supply-constrained, initially.

...The Volvo XC90 PHEV due to go on sale in America later this year has proven to be more popular than Volvo’s product planners ever expected. “We were planning on a 3 to 5% take rate of this model,” Volvo UK’s managing director, Nick Connor, told AutoExpress. “But our current rate on sold orders is over 20 per cent. We underestimated it.” Indeed they did. The PHEV version of the XC90 is back ordered all the way into 2016 and that’s before sales in the US even begin...
http://gas2.org/2015/04/23/volvo-xc90-phev-popular-expected/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No real updates on this model in quite awhile ... first off, this is just cool what they did; the surprised looks of people who passed by is priceless

Watch Volvo troll California commuters while charging an XC90 T8

http://autoweek.com/article/car-lif...ommuters-while-charging-xc90-t8#ixzz45cAzm3j0

It appears they've sold a bit less than 600 YTD; not bad for something this big, expensive and w/o a heck of lot of EV capacity but then again BMW sold over 800 X5 xdrive40e's during the same time frame

http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

Back