Vision Motor Corp Tyrano Class 8 Hydrogen Plug-In Truck

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegGuheert

Tyrano Class 8 Truck

Specifications:

Motor
Type: Electric
Torque (pound-feet): 3,300 peak
Horsepower: 536 peak

Acceleration
Top Speed: Governed at 65 mph @ 80,000 pounds GCVWR

Battery
Chemistry: Lithium-ion with an integrated Battery Management System
Expected Battery Life: 10,000 hours

Fuel Cells
Output: up to 65 kilowatts
Range: 200 drayage miles with the standard hydrogen fuel tank configuration
Refueling Time: Average refueling time of 4 -7 minutes

Operating Limits | Considerations
Temperature: Ambient temperature limits of -15 degrees F to +110 degrees F
Drive System: Vision’s proprietary H2 fuel cell/plug-in electric hybrid drive

Press release: Vision Industries to Introduce Radically-Improved Range Extended Electric Class 8 Trucks with IREx
Vision Industries Corporation (OTCQB: VIIC) today announced that it will introduce its newly developed "Intelligent Range Extender" system in its next generation Class 8 trucks, originally designed for short-haul cargo transportation, which is commonly referred to as "Drayage."

Due to dramatically improved key components, Vision Industries is now able to build a Fuel Cell Electric Class 8 tractor that offers longer range, higher efficiency and lower weight at a competitive price to existing diesel and NG trucks. This system will widen the available applications for these trucks from short-haul drayage to regional trucking, all at reduced operating cost and always with a zero-emission footprint.
It's not clear if this company is going to make it or not, but a plug-in electric with a hydrogen range extender seems like a good idea for heavy trucking.

Some YouTube videos:

Vision Industries YouTube Channel

From 2009:

Early test by manufacturer (with lots of annoying wind noise in recording):
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTDlBvPGKsc[/youtube]

A second early test by manufacturer (also with lots of annoying wind noise in recording but with music added):
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzj1wedjAEk[/youtube]

From 2010:

Arnold introduces the Tyrano (I admit, I watched it to see if he would climb into the cab and tell the driver to "Get out." :lol: ):
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-43AZQzdUus[/youtube]

From 2011:

Video by City of Long Beach about the Tyrano in Drayage use:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJc_-X237Og[/youtube]

Here are a couple of articles:

The first is from a trial at the Port of LA which commenced in the middle of 2011:
Trucking Info: Hydrogen Fuel Cells Could be SoCal Fleet's Future
Trucking Info said:
With no engine, there are no oil changes, no water-jacket cooling system to watch, no EGR plumbing or particulate filter to worry about and no transmission. Brake expense should be 50% lower because the motor becomes a generator that charges the batteries during deceleration, meanwhile slowing the truck like a hybrid. LaRosa thinks the Tyrano's cost of operation over 10 years will be half that of a diesel tractor.
The second is about upcoming trials at both the Port of LA and the Port of Houston:
Vision Executes 1st DOE Grant, Projects Profitability for 2014
CNBC said:
Vision Industries (OTCBB:VIIC) has executed a final contract with South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) for a "Zero Emission Cargo Transportation" demonstration, partially funded through a US Department of Energy Grant in the amount of $958,120. Vision will also apply for matching funds from the California Energy Commission to subsidize Vision's cost share in this program. The 2 year Demonstration Program will call for a fleet of four (4) Vision Tyrano™ hydrogen fuel cell electric trucks to be tested in "Real World Drayage Service" at the twin Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach. The trucks will be operated by Total Transportation Services, Inc. ("TTS-I"), a nationwide operator of drayage trucks.

Vision is expecting to sign a similar agreement for the demonstration of 20 trucks at the Port of Houston. The Houston-based grant is designed to demonstrate the movement of containerized cargo between port terminals and Walmart's Houston Distribution facility with Vision's fuel cell electric truck, the Tyrano™. TTS-I, Vision's launch customer, will be the operator of these trucks as well.
It's interesting that there are five-times as many of these trucks headed for Houston as there are headed to Long Beach. Perhaps the Texans want to be ahead of the curve in terms of finding a cleaner use for their petroleum products. (Which is something I always thought the electric companies would be doing with EVs!)

Back