Ed Begley Jr's 2002 Toyota RAV4 EV listed on Ebay

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spike09 said:
2002 Toyota Rav4 EV owned by Actor and Environmentalist Ed Begley Jr. just listed for sale on eBay. The lucky new owner will have the opportunity to meet Mr. Begley in person, take a few photos, and even have him autograph the inside of the hood if you want!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-RAV4...6214ec6e8&item=301206521576&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

sounds like fun.
will ed come sit in my car and sing its praises; also meticulously maintained. Sadly nissan wont let me buy a new battery.
but you can sign up for the SYB program.

I so miss 'Living with Ed'...no the TV show, not actually living with...nevermind. He and his wife Rachel's interactions were oh so entertaining. He is so gung ho about greenie stuff, she was less so. Good show!

That would be a bit tough to own. How does it even charge? Not J1772, since I don't think that standard was even created until after this car was made. We all complain about the current Rav4 because it doesn't have CHAdeMO. haha

I think the battery is NiCad though? That would at least not degrade very fast.

pkulak said:
That would be a bit tough to own. How does it even charge? Not J1772, since I don't think that standard was even created until after this car was made. We all complain about the current Rav4 because it doesn't have CHAdeMO. haha

Charging stations still exist and there are plenty of home paddle units and RAVs on the road. You can't adapt the inlet but you can use another OBC.

finman100 said:
I so miss 'Living with Ed'...no the TV show, not actually living with...nevermind. He and his wife Rachel's interactions were oh so entertaining. He is so gung ho about greenie stuff, she was less so. Good show!

Me too, it was very entertaining and informative. But, when I spoke to him 2 years ago he indicated that if he ever did get a show going again it certainly would NOT be on the "Green Channel". Someone must have hijacked that channel and changed all the programming, as its totally worthless now. :cry:

My opinion of Ed Begley Jr. as an environmentalist dropped after I found out he was hawking electric vehicles for...Ford :?: The same company that not long ago was proudly selling the Excursion.

RonDawg said:
My opinion of Ed Begley Jr. as an environmentalist dropped after I found out he was hawking electric vehicles for...Ford :?: The same company that not long ago was proudly selling the Excursion.

Good thing Nissan's SUVs run on the dreams of fairies and emit only compassion.

pkulak said:
RonDawg said:

As Nissan does sell the Armada and the Titan it's not exactly 100% eco-minded, but endorsing Ford is worse IMHO.

Because the Excursion was so large that it no longer fell under the light duty truck class, the EPA doesn't have fuel economy numbers for it. So I chose the biggest and heaviest Ford they did test at the time, the Expedition 4WD, and with the 5.4L V-8 it got a miserable 12 City/13 Combined/16 Highway. I'd hate to see what a 6.8L V-10 powered Excursion 4x4 gets for fuel economy. While the Armada 4x4 is about as thirsty as an Expedition, it sold in far fewer numbers, and Nissan has never sold (at least for the US market) anything that compared to an Excursion.

Even though the Excursion has not been sold since MY 2005, and Ford has been selling a lot of Fiestas and Foci and Energi series cars, Nissan's CAFE numbers are still higher than Ford's according to: http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=fuel&story=cafe&subject=fuelList" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Haha, I was just busting your chops; but thanks for going into the details for me. Interesting. I don't really keep up with manufacturer fuel efficiency numbers. :D

pkulak said:
RonDawg said:

And you charge EVs with kWH produced only by Immaculate Generation.

I wonder what he is replacing it with? My guess would be a current model RAV4 EV.
pkulak said:
That would be a bit tough to own. How does it even charge?

The batteries were NiMH. It used a paddle charger. You get the charge station (the EVSE) with the car.

We recently spotted a fleet of these at the Irvine Transit Center. All being charged with their paddles.

Back