VW e-Golf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thankyouOB

VW announces E-Golf - out 2015

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-vw-e-golf-20140530-story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"We came up with a much better car, so now all others have to stretch to follow us," Menge added.

LOL- They released a conversion late in the game and are already calling it better. Talk about shoveling it.

For its initial launch in November, the e-Golf will be available only in California, Oregon, New York, Maryland, Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Jersey and Washington DC.

CARB-ZEV "coalition" states - California, Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island and Vermont.

The eight states combined account for 23 percent of U.S. vehicle sales, according to California’s Air Resources Board.

WHY New Jersey and Washington DC. ????

This could come out less than a year before Nissan puts out a new model with more range (or even at the same time), and maybe a year and a half before Tesla's. I'd rather wait.

It looks like it has really nice trunk space (lots more photos here):

http://insideevs.com/volkswagen-releases-details-2015-e-golf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I expect this to be a bit late in the game by the time it arrives. Clearly they were behind the curve in development of this conversion EV.

its funny how they list washington DC, there are no VW dealers in washington DC !!!!!! heck I dont know if any dealerships still operate inside DC

It must really mean DC MD VA area ?

Falco said:
That looks nice. I may consider this when my lease is up next year.

I don't see a single thing about it that is better than a Leaf. It looks just like a "me too" product. Not sure what is the point besides meeting regulatory requirements. I hope Audi can do much better than VW when they enter the electric market.

At least the Tesla S or X are different in significant ways (and were first).

Compared to other "affordable" EVs, this does seem nice. However, the only thing that's going to really get me interested is more range. Only Tesla seems to understand that range sells EVs, whether everyone truly "needs" more range or not.

There's one key area where the e-Golf and other EVs beat the LEAF - an actively cooled battery pack. This seems to be necessary to limit degradation in most climates and when fast charging is used more than occasionally.

Regarding the "conversion" aspect probably the only necessary difference between an ICE and an EV is the floor stamping. The rest of the parts can be common.

Even though it's air cooled, that's still actually cooled, right? Unlike the Leaf that's got nothing.

So just a minor improvement over Leaf 1.0 - on a time line nearly five years later, that isn't exactly setting the industry on fire.

Looks like we're going to be awash in 70 mile EVs from every Tom, Dick and Harry, to meet compliance requirements and collect credits.

I'm glad to see any new Ev on the market, but.....
slow 0-60

the pack has no active real TMS system from reports volkswagen issued recently

the DCFC sae combo connector will be useless in most of the country for many months or years to come

no additional range over the very reliable and trusted Leaf

not positive but I think the OBC is 7.2kw kw someone please correct me if I have bad info on this. good news here!

no news yet on the heater... will it have a heatpump or resistve heat only sapping winter range? ok so it does have a heatpump!1

i'm in the market winter 14 early 15 (lease is up) its gonna have to be really good to get me to move from Leaf to VW

kmp647 said:
the pack has no active real TMS system from reports volkswagen issued recently

It's reportedly air-cooled, which is WAY better than nothing (see Nissan Leaf). You might be able to blow cool air from an AC into the cooling system.

mikeEmike said:
They had to use the "Golf" name here? There's enough people already referring to EVs as glorified golf carts.

If you had one, you could reply that you own the "Cadillac" of "Golf Carts" ... :p

Back