The plugin spectrum of "coolness"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTLFTcomposite

There is a spectrum coming into focus between the "cool" plugins and the dorkmobiles.

From coolest to dorkiest:

i8
Model S
Panamera
ELR

^ cool ------ v dorky

Volt
i3
Toyota Rav4 EV
Ford Cmax Energi
Toyota Prius PHEV
LEAF
iMiev

There's a sizable gap down from the ELR to the Volt.

So mundane as to elicit no emotional response:
Ford Fusion Energi
Honda Accord PHEV

Tuner/kitchy, cool to youth only
Soul
fiat 500e
Honda Fit EV

That's pretty subjective. I'd put the i8 a few slots lower, and the ELR below the LEAF. The ELR is the ultimate old man dorkmobile.

I have to disagree. The ELR has very nice looks and is appointed beautifully. Ignoring any possible considerations of the Volt-like power-train, it is head and shoulders over the lowly Leaf...
It is also way over priced, but that is a separate discussion...

Bicster said:
I'd put the i8 a few slots lower, and the ELR below the LEAF. The ELR is the ultimate old man dorkmobile.

LTLFTcomposite said:
From coolest to dorkiest:
i8
Model S
Panamera
ELR
Volt
Soul
LEAF
iMiev

Since you are including PHEVs in your list, I'd say you need to consider adding these in there:
Ford Focus Electric
Ford Fusion Energi
Ford Cmax Energi
Fiat 500e
Honda Fit EV
Toyota Prius PHEV
Toyota Rav4 EV
Honda Accord PHEV
BMW i3

I'd put the i3 between the Volt and he Soul.

A Volt owner who now owns a ELR has had a lot of positive things to say about the ELR (aside from price). Blastphemy - http://gm-volt.com/forum/search.php?searchid=15616865" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TomT said:
I have to disagree. The ELR has very nice looks and is appointed beautifully. Ignoring any possible considerations of the Volt-like power-train, it is head an shoulders over the lowly Leaf...

If you're looking for a pure BEV, it doesn't compare at all.

adric22 said:
Since you are including PHEVs in your list, I'd say you need to consider adding these in there:
Ford Focus Electric
Ford Fusion Energi
Ford Cmax Energi
Fiat 500e
Honda Fit EV
Toyota Prius PHEV
Toyota Rav4 EV
Honda Accord PHEV
BMW i3

Edited list above. I concluded that the taxonomy included two orthogonal groups, the mundane and the tuner/kitchy. I also added a dividing line above which clearly a person not predisposed to plugin technology would salivate, below which they would yawn.

Nubo said:
The criteria is irrespective of technology, it is merely based on the responses elicited by each from the uninformed.

"wow, that's a cool (or hot) car"

The OP is not comparing pure EVs only...

Nubo said:
TomT said:
I have to disagree. The ELR has very nice looks and is appointed beautifully. Ignoring any possible considerations of the Volt-like power-train, it is head and shoulders over the lowly Leaf...

I like the funky little Leaf. It has drawn more interest at work and in my neighborhood than any of the "cool" cars I have ever owned.

Funny, I cringe when people ask me if it is "like a Prius." That's like calling my 4Runner a Jeep.

TomT said:
Right... the assertion is that "anything with a plug" is a step forward in mass adoption, and the "cool" entries are very beneficial to that goal. Even though very few will actually buy these cars, the growing number of commercials like Porsche bird on wire, BMW i8 during the olympics, and arguably the ELR are creating an impression on the masses.

Cars below the line are neutral or in some cases negative to public perception of electrification.

TomT said:

I noticed.

But it's a prime consideration. Pure BEV comes at a price. You can spend money on kewl gewgaws, or you can put it into a battery pack. Or you can put it into a battery pack, and kewl gewgaws, and high performance (Tesla). For some, BEV and getting away from gasoline, is the prime attraction and #1 cool factor. Personally I didn't want anything to do with gasoline , so a PHEV is just another ICE to me.

I would up-end the list based on pure EV also. Seems that hybrids like the Volt and such shouldn't be in it. Only pure EVs. Makes me crazy when the media calls the i8 competition with the Tesla. What rubbish. The i8 and ELR would be better compared with the Fisker Karma.

Driving a pure EV as your primary vehicle is still pioneering. Still requires planning and forethought before medium length trips. Not nearly as much for a Tesla with its awesome range as for a LEAF, iMiev, or Soul (cars with useful DCFC networks in a few metro areas.) Even riskier are all the cars with either no fast chargers or none installed yet (SAE Combo).

The nerdiness or dorkiness of the hybrids is odd... since here in the SF Bay Area even Teslas and LEAFs are becoming regular sights, Hybrids are as common as VW's were in the 60s. They are just sensible cars.

For me the 'luxury' of the ELR is simply paying the idiot tax... excess money for piles of cheap trim not real innovation. The i3 has lots of innovation and clearly took some chances in the area of body style and materials. Their choice of the SAE Combo fast charger could be a mistake.

As for the tuner aspect... if the Nissan folks would allow us to buy the nismo LEAF stuff... the 'tuned' computer... we could have some fun. And the LEAF look is actually a modern reference to the Citroen DS.

Nubo said:
Personally I didn't want anything to do with gasoline , so a PHEV is just another ICE to me.

Me too, on not personally wanting anything to do with gasoline.

However, the largest reduction in gasoline usage for a given amount of battery production is with a PHEV with an EV range of about 10 miles... For this reason I hope that the Plug in Prius drivetrain gets cloned by every automaker, and becomes the majority drivetrain sold soon, and on the road as cars are replaced.

WetEV said:
However, the largest reduction in gasoline usage for a given amount of battery production is with a PHEV with an EV range of about 10 miles... For this reason I hope that the Plug in Prius drivetrain gets cloned by every automaker, and becomes the majority drivetrain sold soon, and on the road as cars are replaced.
I don't have the source now, but read somewhere that the biggest bang for the buck (reduction in fuel consumption and carbon emissions) would be mandating idle stop on all cars. Not sure how that works with the A/C.

If you're ever bored, check out the reactions on social media to the i8. For all those people know it could be powered by hamsters on a wheel, they just know they are wowed by the way it looks, and dream of how others would view them being seen in it. That is what I meant by coolness of plugins.

To me, that is just a hybrid with a big battery...

WetEV said:
For this reason I hope that the Plug in Prius drivetrain gets cloned by every automaker, and becomes the majority drivetrain sold soon, and on the road as cars are replaced.

LTLFTcomposite said:
...but read somewhere that the biggest bang for the buck (reduction in fuel consumption and carbon emissions) would be mandating idle stop on all cars. Not sure how that works with the A/C.
Good overview: http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/engine-stop-start-systems-save-fuel-at-low-cost.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TomT said:
+1
smkettner said:
Real EV range over 150 miles in normal conditions is the only cool to me.
The rest is just a jumble of wanabes.
I did/would put the number at 200 for purchasers if you consider deterioration/capacity_loss/winters. Leasers - they don't care. I pity buyers of the "100 mile" LEAFs that were leased.

Aside: I'm about reducing my petro usage not eliminating it. What is made from petroleum: https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+made+from+petroleum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back