Judge's Take - Honeymoon Over With Electric Vehicles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theaveng

Ward's annual "Best Engine/Motor" competition. LINK: http://wardsauto.com/vehicles-amp-technology/judges-take-honeymoon-over-electric-vehicles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Favorite quote:

"I tried to tell myself we should not judge vehicles by the size of their battery or “fuel tank.” But if we evaluated a gasoline car with a tank that held only two gallons, took 3 to 20 hours to refill, and had an unreliable fuel gauge, it would be savaged. So I could not avert my eyes and think happy thoughts when the Honda Fit EV offered 43 miles of range on a full charge one cold November day, half its touted 82-mile range. I had to drive without the heater."

And: "Much has been said about EVs and plug-ins allowing drivers to avoid the gas pump, but plugging in twice a day can be a bigger hassle than buying gas once a week..... If auto makers can’t even keep fans like me engaged, winning over new converts is going to be a very tough road indeed."

That article is nearly eleven months old.

Like it or not, BEVs are not going away. If this "Judge" wants to base his opinion of EVs solely upon generation one production vehicles, then so be it. But he is completely missing the boat.

troll
troll
troll troll troll

even his address says he is a troll!!!!!!!

(LAB members ought to be more dialed in to who's who at mnl, too. just sayin'.)

thankyouOB said:
(LAB members ought to be more dialed in to who's who at mnl, too. just sayin'.)
I'm aware of his posting history. But I don't like to leave such a biased piece just sitting there unaddressed.

theaveng said:
"I tried to tell myself we should not judge vehicles by the size of their battery or “fuel tank.” But if we evaluated a gasoline car with a tank that held only two gallons, took 3 to 20 hours to refill, and had an unreliable fuel gauge, it would be savaged.
Maybe so.. if that gasoline car offered no benefit over regular gasoline cars. But if the same car offered better performance, gasoline that costs 50 cents per gallon, very low maintenance, and the ability to refuel at home. That might be worth some sacrifice.

Funny how the OP's signature touts ICE mpg figures which aren't realistic in cold-weather, yet wants to judge the Fit EV by its cold-weather performance.

The article was worthy of note though, because no electric or hybrid-electric car has won an award in Ward's annual "Best Engine" competition since the Volt (2011). ALL the judges agree that the technology has stagnated & they see a lot more innovation in gasoline and diesel designs (such as 3 cylinder models & diesels passing Euro 6 emissions standards).

And NO this is not generation 1 for electric cars. They've been around since the 1890s, and they have gone through multiple generations over the years: Early primitive horseless carriages like the Baker Electric. Then lead-acid in early automobiles. Then NiCad. Then NiMH. Now Lithium-ion.

theaveng said:
And NO this is not generation 1 for electric cars. They've been around since the 1890s, and they have gone through multiple generations over the years: Early primitive horseless carriages like the Baker Electric. Then lead-acid in early automobiles. Then NiCad. Then NiMH. Now Lithium-ion.
Nissan has sold over 85,000 LEAFs and GM has sold over 50,000 Volts.

While there have been attempts to market EVs in the past, none have ever had lasting success. I suggest that this generation is the first in a long line of successful EVs. And the beginning of the end for ICE vehicles. How long will the transition take? My guess is: decades.

thankyouOB said:
troll
troll
troll troll troll
The ignore list is good, but it would sure be nice if MNL also had a feature to ignore entire threads initiated by people on your ignore list. I like to read postings by people with whom I disagree, who may well bring information to my attention I wouldn't otherwise have seen. As for trolls, not only do I not want to read what they write I also don't care to read what others write to refute them.

In my book calling someone a "troll" is just as bad as calling them an "asshole". Insults don't belong in a gentlemanly conversation between adults, no matter how much you hate one another.

theaveng said:
In my book calling someone a "troll" is just as bad as calling them an "asshole". Insults don't belong in a gentlemanly conversation between adults, no matter how much you hate one another.
Rather than being "gentlemanly conversations," your style is often antagonistic (hence, the labeling). Your response to opposing opinions is caustic. Oddly, you appear to derive pleasure from inciting turmoil, thus the supposed "hatred." How counter-productive. :roll: This begs the question, "Why are you here?"

theaveng said:

asshole.

I provided a link to an article I enjoyed reading. I don't see anything antagonistic about that..... the original author might be "antagonistic" except "the Judge" very clearly stated he is a huge, huge fan of hybrids and EVs. Maybe the folks here just have zeor tolerance for opinions different from their own, even if "the Judge" is an EV proponent. The fiercest fighting is often between persons of the same family/team/etc

QUOTE: "When I started writing about electric and hybrid-electric vehicles in 1984, I never dreamed I would live long enough to test drive production versions one day.

"My test drives of the first-generation Honda Insight and Toyota Prius HEVs, and then the Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf EVs a decade later, are among my most memorable in more than 30 years of automotive journalism.

"The actual driving was not remarkable, but piloting a new type of vehicle powered by electricity is thrilling. Especially with the Volt and the Leaf, the whine of the electric motors and the sound of the wind rushing over the vehicle’s body is intoxicating. At least it used to be."

This thread is fine but please do not start other threads that sound like spam and ignore my inquiries to confirm if your account was compromised. Some of your threads sound like spam and will be treated as such if they continue on that path.

u r a troll.
you have proven it over and over and over again.
putting on the wounded demeanor or reasonable face or ur attack hat -- whatever suitur mood -- does not change that.

how are you a troll? let me point to the simplest of ways:
ur location is BS and you list a troll purchase date for a LEAF.

ur posts are at best provocative. ur posts start arguments and then you lurk and pleasure urself.
many of the fine, interesting and nice people around here ignore you. others, who are unfamiliar with ur BS, respond or fail to catch ur signer.
you should move along and screw with other people and chat rooms. visit the heritage foundation or call up your pals at the api.

theaveng said:
I provided a link to an article I enjoyed reading. I don't see anything antagonistic about that..... the original author might be "antagonistic" except "the Judge" very clearly stated he is a huge, huge fan of hybrids and EVs. Maybe the folks here just have zeor tolerance for opinions different from their own, even if "the Judge" is an EV proponent. The fiercest fighting is often between persons of the same family/team/etc

QUOTE: "When I started writing about electric and hybrid-electric vehicles in 1984, I never dreamed I would live long enough to test drive production versions one day.

"My test drives of the first-generation Honda Insight and Toyota Prius HEVs, and then the Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf EVs a decade later, are among my most memorable in more than 30 years of automotive journalism.

"The actual driving was not remarkable, but piloting a new type of vehicle powered by electricity is thrilling. Especially with the Volt and the Leaf, the whine of the electric motors and the sound of the wind rushing over the vehicle’s body is intoxicating. At least it used to be."

Well I am a pretty sophisticated car owner, own two great ICE cars (audi and BMW M), a Leaf and Tesla Roadster. I understand all the limits and "issues," yet I reach for the leaf almost every day. And at this point it would have to be a pretty amazing ICE for me to seriously take a look. That says a lot about the drive quality of pure electric.

Only caveat is you can't really have only a pure electric car. This will be true for most people until battery technology improves. But that in no way discounts how they are the future.

The forum has an ignore tool for those that are interested in missing posts from desired members.

Back