Cost of Tesla Supercharger?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theaveng

What is the per-visit charge of the supercharger if you are a Leaf or other EV? Or you drive the Tesla 65 kW car without the free supercharger built-in?

theaveng said:
What is the per-visit charge of the supercharger if you are a Leaf or other EV? Or you drive the Tesla 65 kW car without the free supercharger built-in?

The TESLA Supercharger network is privately funded and owned, not public. You either need a compatible Tesla car or a licensed vehicle from another manufacturer (the latter of which none currently exist). There is not a "per-visit" charge of any kind, nor is there a method to collect a per-visit charge. The Nissan LEAF or other unlicensed vehicles cannot physically plug into the Supercharger unit.

There is not a "65kW" car, however Tesla does make a 60kWh and 85kWh battery for the Model S.

The Supercharger is "free forever" for Tesla and other licensed vehicles, once the one time fees have been paid to enable the Supercharger access, typically $2500 per car.

TonyWilliams said:
The Supercharger is "free forever" for Tesla and other licensed vehicles, once the one time fees have been paid to enable the Supercharger access, typically $2500 per car.
Supercharger access is $2000 on the 60 kWh Model S if ordered with the option, $2500 if added on later.
Supercharger access is included on the 85 kWh Model S.
No one knows what Tesla will charge to let other non Tesla vehicles access to Superchargers.

Just like Tesla has an adapter to our Level 3 DC fast charger, we should have an adapter that works for theirs. Seems only fair.

JeremyW said:
reeler said:
Just like Tesla has an adapter to our Level 3 DC fast charger, we should have an adapter that works for theirs. Seems only fair.
Would you buy an adapter if it cost $2500? ;)

No way...and I didn't know that before. Glad I read this thread!

The supercharger adapter costs $2000 with the 60 kWh car, or $2500 if added later on. On all other Tesla models the supercharger adapter is free (built in).
The 60 kWh car also has the option to remove the low-rolling resistance tires to reduce the price by $1000.
TonyWilliams said:
There is not a "65kW" car, however Tesla does make a 60kWh and 85kWh battery for the Model S.
Ooops thanks for the slap..... er I mean correction. Unfortunately you didn't answer part of my question: What happens when a 60 kWh car tries to plug-into a supercharger, but the owner did not buy the SC option? Are they just blocked from using it?

theaveng said:
The supercharger adapter costs $2000 with the 65 kWh car, or $2500 if added later on. On all other Tesla models the supercharger adapter is free (built in).
The 65 kWh car also has the option to remove the low-rolling resistance tires to reduce the price by $1000.
There is no 65 kWh Model S. There are the 60 and 85 kWh models.

It is not an adapter either. See http://www.teslamotors.com/about/press/releases/tesla-model-s-sales-exceed-target" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Tesla is also revealing a small Easter egg today: all 60 kWh cars have been and will be built with Supercharger hardware included. Tesla is taking a slight cost risk that ultimately all customers will want to buy the Supercharger upgrade and receive unlimited, free long distance travel for life. Even for those that never drive long distances, this will improve the resale value of their car to people that do.
theaveng said:
What happens when a 60 kWh car tries to plug-into a supercharger, but the owner did not buy the SC option? Are they just blocked from using it?
If nobody here knows, surely someone at http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has tried. Since Tesla is selling the access for $2K+, it's highly likely a car w/o it enabled would be blocked.

Stanton said:
JeremyW said:
reeler said:
Would you buy an adapter if it cost $2500? ;)

No way...and I didn't know that before. Glad I read this thread!
For reference, this is the adapter reeler's referring to: http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s/products/chademo-adapter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I somehow doubt that'll be the final design as it puts a lot of stress on the connector and inlet.

Latest posts

Back