Official VW e-Golf thread - $29,815

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

Update : http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/05/us-volkswagen-usa-electric-idUSKCN0QA2L920150805?virtualBrandChannel=11563

VW has finally decided to embrace EVs. They will reveal their e-Golf (and Europe only e-Up) in the Frankfurt auto show.

The specs are eerily similar - 24.2 kWh battery, 118 mile NEDC range (Leaf is 120) and 0-60 for some 10.4 sec. VW even makes their own motors and battery.

Apparently no space compromise, unlike Focus EV - even though e-Golf shares the platform with the fossil fueled cars.

Will the e-Golf finally offer some all-state competition to Leaf ?

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/volkswagen-set-electrify-frankfurt-article-1.1438525" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JeremyW said:
evnow said:
Not without CHAdeMO. :roll:

Guys are buying up the Chevy Spark when the clueless (or fraudulent) dealers tell them they can charge anywhere. It's happened many times already.

Since these new compliance cars from GM, VW, BMW, Mercedes will have Frankenplugs, the largely first time EV buyers won't have a clue... sheep to slaughter.

PS: before somebody "informs" me that VW "isn't" a compliance car, let me assure that they are. They may sell just the absolute minimum, like Toyota and Honda, or try and sell more, like the LEAF. But, without a doubt, the VW EV will be sold in California to comply with CARB-ZEV and it is the PRIMARY reason it is being introduced now.

BMW, Fiat/Chrysler, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Mazda, Daimler/Mercedes, Nissan, Toyota, and Volkswagen must comply with the new 2012 and later CARB-ZEV requirements. Four additional manufacturers would also be required to comply with the ZEV requirements, but would be allowed to meet their obligation with PHEVs.

VW Readies e-up!, e-Golf EVs For Mass Production
http://www.earthtechling.com/2013/08/129941/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not fast but pretty efficient it seems. Four regen modes!
For those looking to save money at the electric car fuel pump, i.e. electric vehicle charger, VW is saying both vehicles are “leaders in energy efficiency, meaning that the e-up! consumes just 11.7 kWh of electricity per 100 km – this makes it the new world champion in efficiency. The e-Golf, positioned two classes higher, attains an excellent value of 12.7 kWh. Given an electricity price of €0.258 per kWh (Germany, as of 31st July 2013), driving 100 km with the e-up! costs just €3.02, and with the e-Golf it is around €3.30.

As far as European performance specifications and drivetrains go, here’s what Volkswagen puts the vehicles at:

e-Golf: driven by a 85 kW / 115 PS electric motor. The motor produces its maximum drive torque of 270 Nm as soon as it starts off. The results: the front-wheel drive e-Golf reaches 100 km/h in 10.4 seconds. On a motorway, the speed of the five-seat front-wheel drive car is electronically limited to 140 km/h. Its battery (24.2 kWh) has a range of 190 km, and with fast battery charging can get up to 80 percent capacity in around half an hour.

e-up!: its electric motor produces 60 kW / 82 PS. This motor transmits 210 Nm of torque to the driven front axle from a standstill. It completes the sprint to 100 km/h in 12.4 seconds. Top speed: 130 km/h. It can drive 160 km on one battery charge (18.7 kWh), and with fast battery charging can get up to 80 percent capacity in around half an hour.

Both electric cars have what are described as two “efficient driving” modes (“Eco”, “Eco+”) and four regenerative braking modes (“D1”, “D2”, “D3” and “B”) that help to extend maximum driving ranges. In Germany, it was found that around 80 percent of all car drivers there go fewer than 50 km daily, so most should easily be able to get around on one battery charge.

TonyWilliams said:
PS: before somebody "informs" me that VW "isn't" a compliance car, let me assure that they are. They may sell just the absolute minimum, like Toyota and Honda, or try and sell more, like the LEAF. But, without a doubt, the VW EV will be sold in California to comply with CARB-ZEV and it is the PRIMARY reason it is being introduced now.

That's a different definition of "compliance car" than I, and I suspect most here, have of the term. CARB-ZEV is the primary reason why almost all car manufacturers, other than perhaps Tesla, is offering EVs. If they want to sell cars here, one of the world's largest individual car markets by volume, it's either offer the required number of ZEVs, buy enough of someone else's credits, or pay a penalty.

By your definition, a Leaf is a compliance car as well.

To me, a compliance car is just that...to get around a rule. A "homologation special" is another example of a compliance car. If the car is only planned to be sold in CARB-following states (especially California-only), in just enough numbers to satisfy Sacramento regulators, and especially in closed-end-lease-only form, that's a compliance car to me. If you sell way more than you are required to, and well outside the area where you are forced to, IMHO that no longer makes it a compliance car.

Until we know just how available the new eGolf will be, we can't really say if it will be a "compliance car" or not.

RonDawg said:
TonyWilliams said:

That's a different definition of "compliance car" than I, and I suspect most here, have of the term. CARB-ZEV is the primary reason why almost all car manufacturers, other than perhaps Tesla, is offering EVs. If they want to sell cars here, one of the world's largest individual car markets by volume, it's either offer the required number of ZEVs, buy enough of someone else's credits, or pay a penalty.

By your definition, a Leaf is a compliance car as well.

The definition is not mine; it is the California Air Resources Board. Been in use since the 1990's, at least.

Yes, the LEAF is absolutely used for CARB-ZEV compliance, and Nissan is now selling the credits as the fruits of their labors of selling "too many". Maybe we should call the LEAF a "Compliance Plus" car.

Tesla doesn't that've to comply because they aren't one of the listed companies that CARB requires to comply. Mitsubishi doesn't have to comply, either, because of their miniature size. Those are the only two REAL non-compliance zero emission cars.

RonDawg said:
TonyWilliams said:

That's a different definition of "compliance car" than I, and I suspect most here, have of the term.
Yes. While I might be biased, I wouldn't put all the major automakers into the same basket. Tesla is the clear leader, and although I hope that they will continue to push the envelope, I don't think that they can meet all future demand. There are not that many automakers, who would put in an honest effort, which is a shame.

Of the few that appear to be committed, Nissan looks to be by far the most ambitious and motivated. GM and BMW are important players, given the current market situation, and I wouldn't water down their efforts by calling their vehicles compliance cars. I think most automakers will try to concentrate their efforts on making a number of PHEVs. There will be select few with a BEV program worth mentioning. I think BMW is one of them, and the i3 will be sold in all markets, much like the LEAF.

Although the Chevy Spark and the Honda Fit are compliance BEVs in the classic sense, at least they seem to be well-engineered ans are getting proper attention from the OEM. I'm not quite sure what to think of the Fiat 500e and the upcoming VW e-Golf and e-up!. Hopefully, they will prove to be well engineered. Other than that, strict compliance cars available in few select markets.

TonyWilliams said:
Yes, the LEAF is absolutely used for CARB-ZEV compliance, and Nissan is now selling the credits as the fruits of their labors of selling "too many". Maybe we should call the LEAF a "Compliance Plus" car.

Tesla doesn't that've to comply because they aren't one of the listed companies that CARB requires to comply. Mitsubishi doesn't have to comply, either, because of their miniature size. Those are the only two REAL non-compliance zero emission cars.

I disagree that the Leaf is a compliance car at all. Nissan could have met its CARB ZEV mandates by taking an existing ICEV and modifying it for battery propulsion, just like Toyota and Honda and Chrysler and Ford and GM (with the Spark EV) have done.

Instead they poured millions into development of a new car designed to be battery electric only. Regardless of how you feel about Nissan's post-sales handling of its customers, you do have to applaud them for sticking their noses out like that. In that regard, Nissan is no different than Tesla, the difference being Nissan can absorb any potential losses a lot better than Tesla could if the experiment went awry.

A compliance car is one that earns credits from CARB for complying with CARB-ZEV, credits that can be sold to other car manufacturers. So, all EVs are compliance cars - including all Teslas and the Mitsubishi imiev because of those credits they earn for their maker.

RonDawg said:
Instead they poured millions into development of a new car designed to be battery electric only. Regardless of how you feel about Nissan's post-sales handling of its customers, you do have to applaud them for sticking their noses out like that.
You mean billions?

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/04/20/wards-nissan-leaf-is-a-multi-billion-dollar-gamble-that-faces/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LEAFfan said:
JeremyW said:
evnow said:
Not without CHAdeMO. :roll:

It will have SAE's combo QC, but not CHAdeMO.

Here you can get a Leaf, an iMiev, or a Tesla. They're the only BEVs easily available that can be locally serviced.

There's no QC of any type in MA.

So, if VW, or anybody else, wants to compete, now's a good time. Whoever gets QCs installed first will have an edge.

Until then, the Leaf is still the best game in town.

blackmamba said:
A compliance car is one that earns credits from CARB for complying with CARB-ZEV, credits that can be sold to other car manufacturers. So, all EVs are compliance cars - including all Teslas and the Mitsubishi imiev because of those credits they earn for their maker.
A compliance car is anything that is compliant with any regulation. So all cars sold in the US are compliance cars.

"Look, I work for the phone company. I've had a lot of experience with semantics, so don't try to lure me into some maze of circular logic."

Give me a break.

evnow said:
blackmamba said:
A compliance car is anything that is compliant with any regulation. So all cars sold in the US are compliance cars.

"Look, I work for the phone company. I've had a lot of experience with semantics, so don't try to lure me into some maze of circular logic."

Give me a break.

Lazy people don't deserve breaks, so don't ask for one.

You'll just have to work a bit to come up with a more accurate label to use for EVs you want to dismiss as insignificant, such as the Spark EV made by your unfavorite car company, the one you still harbor ill will over the EV1 fiasco.

Don't you think its time you give GM a break, assuming you are a true EV advocate.

Yes, all cars comply to something and all EVs seem to comply to CARB. But to me, a compliance car or perhaps something that Tony would call a Compliance Only Car (TM), is a car that is only sold in CARB states, with either 1) a limited number of units for sale to hit the CARB requirements (ala the Toyota, the Honda and the Fiat) or 2) no plan for eventual profitability (ala the Toyota and the Fiat). So, to me, even though the i3 is clearly designed to maximize CARB credits and HOV access, I wouldn't consdider it a compliance only car if BMW sells it in large numbers and/or in more than the CARB states. As far as the Spark being a COC, I think the jury is still out. The car just hasn't been out long enough to determine if Chevy plans to sell in large numbers or in more than the CARB states.

edited for typos.

blackmamba said:
LOL.

Apparently compliance car (Spark EV) or pretender's (Volt) fanboys wants to hoodwink people into believing their conversions are just like purpose built volume EVs. I'm not a CARB board member, quit trying.

evnow said:
blackmamba said:
LOL.

Apparently compliance car (Spark EV) or pretender's (Volt) fanboys wants to hoodwink people into believing their conversions are just like purpose built volume EVs..

Nice smugness in your comeback. Hoodwinking people? Do tell. I forgot - please show where I tried to fool people into believing (my !) conversions are just like purpose built EVs.

I tend to be a 'judge something by their character' type of person rather than someone who judges by pedigree or by the color of one's skin. Hence, I give the Spark EV thumbs up because it deserves it, conversion or not. And lots of credible people and sources agree.

I also give Tesla a big thumbs up. If only I could afford one...

blackmamba said:
I tend to be a 'judge something by their character' type of person rather than someone who judges by pedigree or by the color of one's skin. Hence, I give the Spark EV thumbs up because it deserves it, conversion or not. And lots of credible people and sources agree.
I've nothing against Spark EV (or Fit EV), the car. But I don't like the OEMs that make them - because I judge them by their "character". Compliance EV = a big middle finger to EVs.

jhm614 said:
Yes, all cars comply to something and all EVs seem to comply to CARB. But to me, a compliance car or perhaps some Tony would call a Compliance Only Car (TM), is a car that is only sold in CARB states, with either 1) a limited number of units for sale to hit the CARB requirements (ala the Toyota, the Honda and the Fiat) or 2) no plan for eventual profitability (ala the Toyata and the Fiat). So, to me, even though the i3 is clearly designed to maximize CARB credits and HOV access, I wouldn't condider it a compliance only car if BMW sells it in large numbers and/or in more than the CARB states. As far as the Spark being a COC, I think the jury is still out. The car just hasn't been out long enough to determine if Chevy plans to sell in large numbers or in more than the CARB states.

+1! From what I've read, the Spark will be another compliance car since it won't be sold here.

Stoaty said:
RonDawg said:
Instead they poured millions into development of a new car designed to be battery electric only. Regardless of how you feel about Nissan's post-sales handling of its customers, you do have to applaud them for sticking their noses out like that.
You mean billions?

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/04/20/wards-nissan-leaf-is-a-multi-billion-dollar-gamble-that-faces/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was thinking billions but I didn't want to commit that far. Besides the only difference between billions and millions is one to three extra zeroes ;)

O/T but it reminds me of how McD's used put on their sign an actual number of millions served (instead of just the generic "billions served"), and the 1970's Woody Allen movie "Sleeper" in which the McD's of the future had the same figure with numerous zeroes added to it :lol:

Back