Official Kia Soul EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsleaf

It looks like the Kia Soul EV is getting closer to being released...

http://www.plugincars.com/2015-kia-soul-ev-spotted-testing-california-testing-rapid-charge-technology-127682.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://insideevs.com/kia-soul-ev-spotted-photos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone have any additional information on this car?

gsleaf said:

http://www.plugincars.com/2015-kia-soul-ev-spotted-testing-california-testing-rapid-charge-technology-127682.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

not on the EV version. I rented one for a weekend a year or 2 ago, the car was very adequate and will give the LEAF some worthy competition

It's funny that they have camouflage on them. It is not like no one knows what the Soul looks like, and it will never be mistaken for a beautiful car...

gsleaf said:

TomT said:
It's funny that they have camouflage on them. It is not like no one knows what the Soul looks like, and it will never be mistaken for a beautiful car...

Agreed. Camouflage is supposed to be about disguise. They should just disguise it to look like a regular non-EV Soul and they would be a lot more successful.

I'm really curious to know if it has active cooling or not. If it does and it sells outside of CA the Leaf is going to have some real competition.

I hope it is not a "Nissan 100 miles (tm)!" Also, based on the top speed and 0-62 time, it is going to be a leisurely performer even by Leaf standards...

"Full specifications are yet to be released, but the Kia Soul EV -- which is due to arrive in the U.S. next year as a 2015 model -- is rumored by various sources to have at least 100 miles of range, a top speed of 87 mph, and a 0-62 mph time of 12 seconds."

On the bright side one photo shows it comes with a Chademo port, and every one of those sold helps out with the coming battle over L3 standards. Unfortunately I'm guessing it's another compliance car. Plus it's a Kia, so I wouldn't touch it if it were the first 1000 mile EV.

Actually, Kias and Hyundais (they are siblings) these days are pretty damn good cars.

gigglehertz said:
On the bright side one photo shows it comes with a Chademo port, and every one of those sold helps out with the coming battle over L3 standards. Unfortunately I'm guessing it's another compliance car. Plus it's a Kia, so I wouldn't touch it if it were the first 1000 mile EV.

If Kia/Hyundai slaps its 10 yr/100,000 mile warranty on it, including capacity loss, that's a game changer! Or, even better, like the Sonata hybrid, warranty the battery for life.

Nissan, frankly, should have emulated the 100k warranty coverage with the Leaf from the start, if nothing but to quell fears over degrading batteries, etc.

gsleaf said:
LEAFfan said:
Yeah, another compliance car, probably just sold in CA.

Sadly you're probably right. I wonder what we have to do to get compliance cars in Oregon.
could the answer be having your legislature pass laws that force manufacturers to sell X amount of bev cars?

apvbguy said:
could the answer be having your legislature pass laws that force manufacturers to sell X amount of bev cars?

Well I was thinking more in terms of the political climate and will required to get that sort of legislation passed.

gsleaf said:
LEAFfan said:
Yeah, another compliance car, probably just sold in CA.

Sadly you're probably right. I wonder what we have to do to get compliance cars in Oregon.
If it's just a compliance car, why are they testing this car in multiple countries, and why would they bother with adding a CHAdeMO port? While I wouldn't be surprised that it's another compliance car, I'm hoping that the extra efforts are an indicator of Kia trying to compete with the LEAF.

lion said:
If it's just a compliance car, why are they testing this car in multiple countries, and why would they bother with adding a CHAdeMO port? While I wouldn't be surprised that it's another compliance car, I'm hoping that the extra efforts are an indicator of Kia trying to compete with the LEAF.

That's a good point. I hope you're right. I'd love to have another widely available EV.

gsleaf said:
lion said:

That's a good point. I hope you're right. I'd love to have another widely available EV.

+1!

gsleaf said:
apvbguy said:

Well I was thinking more in terms of the political climate and will required to get that sort of legislation passed.
is the reason that you need government to make it happen that Kia is losing money on each unit sold?
if the car can be sold profitably then Kia would be foolish not to produce what the consumers demand.

I think I saw this today, heavily clad in camouflage-like blanketing. I suppose it could have been a regular 2014+ Soul, but why bother. It was going the other way from me, so I couldn't turn around and follow it.

mwalsh said:
I think I saw this today, heavily clad in camouflage-like blanketing. I suppose it could have been a regular 2014+ Soul, but why bother. It was going the other way from me, so I couldn't turn around and follow it.
We saw the car today at lunch.. the "camouflage" sure makes it stand out... and of course the fact that it was plugged into the Azusa DCQC :)

iygx.jpg

GregH said:
mwalsh said:
We saw the car today at lunch.. the "camouflage" sure makes it stand out... and of course the fact that it was plugged into the Azusa DCQC :)

iygx.jpg

Yes! That was it. It was in Garden Grove on Wednesday. Doing what, I don't know.

Back