Official BMW ActiveE thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indyflick

BMW ActiveE article in Consumer Reports auto blog.
The ActiveE is expected to be available for lease starting in summer 2011 as part of a "field trial." (The Mini E lease was a staggering $850 a month.) The company did not announce when the ActiveE program would be open for applications. After this field trial, BMW plans to produce its first in-house electric vehicle, the carbon-fiber hatchback Mega City EV by 2014.
6a00d83451e0d569e20133f48e726e970b-pi

Another cynical CARB play by BMW. They did that with Mini-E.

http://green.autoblog.com/2009/07/01/plug-in-america-criticizes-carb-loophole-that-could-help-bmw-wit/

The California Air Resources Board's Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) program has no minimum timeframe for vehicles used for compliance. Therefore, BMW's one-year pilot program consisting of just 500 converted electric Mini Coopers leased at an astonishing $850 per month will earn the same full credit as a standard vehicle production program.

"CARB is allowing BMW to game the system by accruing the maximum number of ZEV credits with the least amount of effort," says Plug In America legislative director Jay Friedland. Previous lease-only programs led to the crushing by automakers of thousands of vehicles in the 1990s, Friedland notes.

Anyway, they will be available in some cities in CA & NY. I wonder it will be a Leaf competitor .... I guess depends on price.

In addition to the Los Angeles and New York City markets, where the Mini E was available, the Active-E will be available in San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, and Boston, and select markets in Connecticut (presumably in the New York City suburbs), the company announced yesterday at the Opportunity Green Business Conference in Los Angeles.

evnow said:
Another cynical CARB play by BMW. They did that with Mini-E.
I kinda suspected that might have been their motive.

Seems like there are several classes of highway capable electric cars.
  • Class A - Purpose built electric car. Mass produced and offered for sale to the public. (Nissan LEAF)
    Class B - Electric car version of production car. Mass produced by the OEM and offered for sale to the public (Ford Focus EV, Smart CAR EV)
    Class C - Third party Electric car version of production car. Roller mass produced by the OEM and finished as an EV by a third party. May include new or modified body. Offered for sale to the public. (Tesla Roadster, New RAV4 EV, Coda)
    Class E - Electric car built from donor. Roller from a production car and rebuilt (DIY or professionally) as an EV.
    Class F - Electric car BS. Electric car used to show the OEM is involved with the latest automative technology instead of actually being a dinosaur. Electric car is also to circumvent the CARB process. The OEM uses the car to make a lot of noise at car shows and with press releases. Lease only (if the vehicle ever hits the road). The then likely crushed after all the maximum PR has been extracted. (BMW Mini-E, BMW ActiveE)
    Class G - Virtual electric car. The is any electric car which continues to be announced and is roughly a year from launch, year after year. (Aptera)

BMW seems to have customers with very deep pockets and simply won't be seen in anything else. Might explain why the MiniE could be much better :roll: . BMW should be on a much better design track with the Composite MegaCity. Only time will tell if they can "walk the walk".

I received email from BMW today inviting me to become a "BMW Electronaut" and register for one of the 700 BMW Active E field trial cars.

Here's the web site link: http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/uniquely/bmwefficientdynamics/ExploreActiveE.aspx?enc=mDtXr5Be8R1Id7tWJMKDv61RPjujpZg+n/+uZaA0LMiJx3nPgcFW12TLuMZJkDiktOD8kj9G3DvM8UhTd8+wyNeQwwAu9CwtTe28V9TZEHWlaIBWOzdI/vdlV7yzLf2i" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Two year closed end lease, $2,250 down, $499 per month, zero cost maintenance (I assume that there are no federal or state incentives that will apply, since the program is a field trial).

$100 home assessment fee for Aerovironment EVSE!!!!! (I wasn't aware that BMW had partnered with AV for this program. They must not frequent this forum. :roll: )

If I didn't already have a lease with the LEAF, and if I wasn't extremely satisfied with the LEAF, which I am, I might be interested in this trial program.

BMW is claiming "up to" 100 mile range, 0-60 mph in under 9 seconds, 184 lb-ft of torque (LEAF is 210 lb-ft) and max 170 hp (LEAF is 110 hp), full charging at Level 2 in 4 to 5 hours ("around" 25 miles of driving per hour of charge, and "up to an additional 4 miles" per hour of charge with L1.) Probably a 6 kW charger? curb weight is not stated, but it must be more than the LEAF.

Yes, the specs all lead to a 6.6kW charger, but not sure how they're getting 170 hp (I'll guess a translation error from a metric measurement).

Everything else is (battery capacity, range, acceleration) sounds comparable to the LEAF. Did they quote the weight? [Edit: I see they didn't]

I'd be happy to test drive one before I'd consider a lease.

Tony

Boomer23 said:
BMW is claiming "up to" 100 mile range, 0-60 mph in under 9 seconds, 184 lb-ft of torque (LEAF is 210 lb-ft) and max 170 hp (LEAF is 110 hp), full charging at Level 2 in 4 to 5 hours ("around" 25 miles of driving per hour of charge, and "up to an additional 4 miles" per hour of charge with L1.) Probably a 6 kW charger? curb weight is not stated, but it must be more than the LEAF.

indyflick said:
Seems like there are several classes of highway capable electric cars.
  • Class A - Purpose built electric car. Mass produced and offered for sale to the public. (Nissan LEAF)
    Class B - Electric car version of production car. Mass produced by the OEM and offered for sale to the public (Ford Focus EV, Smart CAR EV)
    Class C - Third party Electric car version of production car. Roller mass produced by the OEM and finished as an EV by a third party. May include new or modified body. Offered for sale to the public. (Tesla Roadster, New RAV4 EV, Coda)
    Class E - Electric car built from donor. Roller from a production car and rebuilt (DIY or professionally) as an EV.
    Class F - Electric car BS. Electric car used to show the OEM is involved with the latest automative technology instead of actually being a dinosaur. Electric car is also to circumvent the CARB process. The OEM uses the car to make a lot of noise at car shows and with press releases. Lease only (if the vehicle ever hits the road). The then likely crushed after all the maximum PR has been extracted. (BMW Mini-E, BMW ActiveE)
    Class G - Virtual electric car. The is any electric car which continues to be announced and is roughly a year from launch, year after year. (Aptera)
A wonderful (and accurate) classification!

Boomer23 said:
Two year closed end lease, $2,250 down, $499 per month, zero cost maintenance (I assume that there are no federal or state incentives that will apply, since the program is a field trial).
It's a lease so the Federal tax credit is unavailable, at least to the buyer.

indyflick said:

I'm not convinced this is their play. They really seem on track to release EV cars in the next few years. Of course the CARB requirements are a major motivation, but that's true for the LEAF as well. That's the point of the CARB requirements.

I would never consider buying an ICE BMW, but I would consider an EV. But they will probably be out of my price range when they come out for real. I like the sound of this ActiveE, but the small back seat is a deal breaker since that's where mom and baby are these days. It's probably more fun to drive than the leaf with the RWD and German suspension. But that would just lead to me wasting more electricity than I already do!

As much as I like BMWs, and I've owned many over the years, I would not consider any BMW EV until they prove to me that it isn't just another scheme on their part to game California and/or the Feds, as with the Mini-E, and that they are actually serious about it... (Oh, and that their pricing is based on reality, unlike the original Mini-E lease...)

JustinC said:
I would never consider buying an ICE BMW, but I would consider an EV.

First Drive at AutoBlog Green.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/21/2012-bmw-activee-first-drive-review/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Car weighs 4,000 pounds, unsurprising for a converted ICE car that is really just a demo project. I was told by a BMW rep that the EV components are essentially what will go into the i3 EV when it is released in a couple of years. BMW says that weight distribution is about 50:50 front:rear. Acceleration is a LEAF-like 9 seconds. Auto journalists used about a third of the pack charge in 25 miles, but that was in admittedly aggressive driving. Rear drive, decent handling and steering feel. Regen is pretty strong. Charger is 6.6 kW, double the LEAF's charging power and charging is done at 30 Amps.

Though it is no faster than the LEAF and heavier, and much less usable due to its two doors and tight rear seating, but with rear drive, decent steering, good regen and a faster on-board charger, I might be going for this if I didn't already have the LEAF.

Blah, Blah, Blah. Stop making porky conversions to look green and play the CARB game. "inefficient dynamics". News flash BMW, this EV already exists. What next an X5 to sell in Mill Valley? :lol: :lol: But that's an "EVSE free" zone now. :shock:

BMW ActiveE in the RAC Future Car Challenge - In total more than 65 vehicles took part in the Future Car Challenge, representing different manufacturers with a variety of low emission powertrain technologies ranging from diesel to hybrid to electric.

http://www.green-car-guide.com/gree...-activee-in-the-rac-future-car-challenge.html

Results - The Mini-E and ActiveE used less energy than the LEAFs to complete the course

http://www.green-car-guide.com/rac-future-car-challenge---full-results.html

TomT said:
As much as I like BMWs, and I've owned many over the years, I would not consider any BMW EV until they prove to me that it isn't just another scheme on their part to game California and/or the Feds, as with the Mini-E, and that they are actually serious about it... (Oh, and that their pricing is based on reality, unlike the original Mini-E lease...)
Though I've been a critic of BMW's CARB play - I've to say, the program itself has been a +ve. It has turned many people into EV enthusiasts and BMW is investing heavily to make ground-up production EVs. Ofcourse I wish they had their i3 selling already - but they are better than other German auto makers.

Back