Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/02/teslas-model-3-loses-coveted-consumer-reports-recommendation/

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/tesla-model-3-loses-cr-recommendation-over-reliability-issues/

Tesla’s other models have suffered from below-average reliability

lpickup said:
If you are an investor looking for promises, I don't think you get investing.
Sure, you cited typical boilerplate. Companies have gotten into trouble w/the SEC for making false or misleading statements.

Google for:
sec misleading statements filings site:sec.gov
sec false statements filings site:sec.gov

Investors also likely look at other publicly disclosed information outside of SEC filings such as marketing, the company's web site, Elon's and the company's social media statements, etc.
lpickup said:
Yes, and I think you missed my point, which is nicely illustrated by that document. In 2013 for $57,400 (or $59,900 after the increase) you could get a hypothetical 40kWh vehicle. Now for that price you can get a 75kWh vehicle. Is anyone really bemoaning the fact that they can't actually get a 40kWh Model S? Or is it that they couldn't get a $57,400 vehicle (at the time)?
You're comparing apples to oranges.

The cheapest Model S now is $85K. That's a far cry from $57.4K or $59.9K.

Direct competition for the Model 3. See https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28029

FWIW, while I've always thought the Model S had classic looks, the Model 3's never done it for me -from the side the proportions seem to be subtly off, and the view from the front always reminds me of a sitting bullfrog. It'll be interesting to see what the P2 looks like. The quality control should be better than it typically has been on Teslas. Last night I saw a Model S where the rear lights, the outboard parts of which are on the rear fender panel and the inboard parts on the hatch, made the misalignment of the hatch with the panels to the sides really obvious - the two parts of the left rear light were at noticeably different heights, and the right side, while better, was also clearly off. 1990's Kia indeed.

The $35K M3 to arrive by Q2?

Although I previously stated that I anticipate the production of the Standard Model 3 to begin within the next three to five months, I expect an announcement on this matter much sooner than that. One possible date for this announcement would be March 15, the date that Elon Musk tweeted the Model Y will be unveiled. I believe that this would be the most likely date for a release because Musk is known for his flashiness and surprise announcements, like the Roadster 2.0 at the Tesla Semi Event. By announcing the Standard Model 3 production date at the Model Y event, Musk would be doing something of similar magnitude as announcing the new Roadster. Since this date is coming quite soon, I would advise taking advantage of the lower Tesla stock price and investing before the Model Y release. Upon the release of a concrete production rate, I expect the stock to rally 6% in two days, not inclusive of the previously mentioned 9%, making an investment prior to this announcement that much more lucrative. The Standard Model 3 will become Tesla’s next best-selling vehicle and move the brand into areas it never would have been able to enter before.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4244283-teslas-35k-model-3-coming-soon?dr=1

Surely there're MNL believers, e.g. palmermd, right?
:D :D

lorenfb said:
The $35K M3 to arrive by Q2?

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4244283-teslas-35k-model-3-coming-soon?dr=1

Surely there're MNL believers, e.g. palmermd, right?
:D :D

I do not believe much of anything from SA. Certainly not this. Personally I do not think we will see the standard range packs to be built until very late in the year (if at all this year). Tesla has their hands full delivering long and medium range vehicles world wide at this point. No point in even attempting to do these smaller packs until you figure out how to build the higher margin variants with more consistency.

palmermd said:
Tesla has their hands full delivering long and medium range vehicles world wide at this point.

ROW deliveries in Q1/Q2 will unlikely require more than 100K of Tesla's production, i.e. per Elon's 400K total 2019 guidance.
So that's hardly a constraining factor for Tesla's not "delivering" on Elon's 2016 $35K M3 announcement three years later, right?

lorenfb said:
palmermd said:
Tesla has their hands full delivering long and medium range vehicles world wide at this point.

ROW deliveries in Q1/Q2 will unlikely require more than 100K of Tesla's production, i.e. per Elon's 400K total 2019 guidance.
So that's hardly a constraining factor for Tesla's not "delivering" on Elon's 2016 $35K M3 announcement three years later, right?
You pulled that 100k number from where?

sparky said:
lorenfb said:
palmermd said:

How about:

1. Per Elon - 2019 guidance of 400K
2. Typical ROW % of total guidance, 50%
3. Assume Q1/Q2 50% of 400K guidance, 200K
4. ROW @ 50% of Q1/Q2, then ROW = 100K

But then again, who really knows what the on-going demand in the U.S. will be for the M3, and thus whether Elon can achieve 400K, right?

lorenfb said:
sparky said:
lorenfb said:

How about:

1. Per Elon - 2019 guidance of 400K
2. Typical ROW % of total guidance, 50%
3. Assume Q1/Q2 50% of 400K guidance, 200K
4. ROW @ 50% of Q1/Q2, then ROW = 100K

But then again, who really knows what the on-going demand in the U.S. will be for the M3, and thus whether Elon can achieve 400K, right?

And $35K Tesla is here with glass roof and 200 plus mile range. Should have terrible sales.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
cwerdna said:
I figured this should be added here. Some folks in another Tesla thread at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=549175#p549175 noticed today there's no longer any mention of the standard range version when you try to go through the order process online.

It used to say SR was coming 4-6 months and had said that as recently as in the past week or two. IIRC, it also had that "estimate" in 2018.

I'm holding out that the MR (currently $37k with PUP) eventually gets price reduced to the $35k (without PUP), but might want to get that crow ready. :(

Yay! No crow for me! All you debbie-downers can take a hike! :p

That standard range plus looks attractive, for an extra $2k you get 20 more miles of range and some other goodies - is that leather-ish seats at that price?

Glad I didn't pull the trigger on anything yet. This is gonna be a really tough option to beat at that price even with the credit only worth $3750.

So basically if I want no frills and a decent color I'm looking at $37.7k + taxes.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/35000-tesla-model-3-available-now

$35,000 Tesla Model 3 Available Now

The Tesla Team February 28, 2019

We are incredibly excited to announce that the standard Model 3, with 220 miles of range, a top speed of 130 mph and 0-60 mph acceleration of 5.6 seconds is now available at $35,000! Although lower in cost, it is built to achieve the same perfect 5-star safety rating as the longer-ranged version, which has the lowest probability of injury of any car ever tested by the U.S. Government.

In addition, we are introducing the Model 3 Standard Range Plus, which offers 240 miles of range, a top speed of 140 mph, 0-60 mph acceleration of just 5.3 seconds and most premium interior features at $37,000 before incentives. For 6% more money, you get 9% more range, more power, and an upgraded interior.

To achieve these prices while remaining financially sustainable, Tesla is shifting sales worldwide to online only. You can now buy a Tesla in North America via your phone in about 1 minute, and that capability will soon be extended worldwide. We are also making it much easier to try out and return a Tesla, so that a test drive prior to purchase isn’t needed. You can now return a car within 7 days or 1,000 miles for a full refund. Quite literally, you could buy a Tesla, drive several hundred miles for a weekend road trip with friends and then return it for free. With the highest consumer satisfaction score of any car on the road, we are confident you will want to keep your Model 3.

Shifting all sales online, combined with other ongoing cost efficiencies, will enable us to lower all vehicle prices by about 6% on average, allowing us to achieve the $35,000 Model 3 price point earlier than we expected. Over the next few months, we will be winding down many of our stores, with a small number of stores in high-traffic locations remaining as galleries, showcases and Tesla information centers. The important thing for customers in the United States to understand is that, with online sales, anyone in any state can quickly and easily buy a Tesla.

At the same time, we will be increasing our investment in the Tesla service system, with the goal of same-day, if not same-hour service, and with most service done by us coming to you, rather than you coming to us. Moreover, we guarantee service availability anywhere in any countries in which we operate.

We’re also excited to announce that we’re implementing a number of firmware upgrades for both new and existing customers. These upgrades will increase the range of the Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive Model 3 to 325 miles, increase the top speed of Model 3 Performance to 162 mph, and add an average of approximately 5% peak power to all Model 3 vehicles.

scottf200 said:
Over the next few months, we will be winding down many of our stores, with a small number of stores in high-traffic locations remaining as galleries, showcases and Tesla information centers.

Damn, I feel bad for the girl at the dealership that excitedly called me with the news. I wonder if she was aware of the fact that she was about to be out of a job.

32299853957_1709a0e2a5_c.jpg

^ $35k price is at lower left. 2 to 4 weeks delivery.

Electrek's info on the new options and packages:

https://electrek.co/2019/02/28/tesla-model-3-standard-battery-interior/

I was pleased to see that they are bringing back the long range RWD version (listed as 325 miles, still a bit less than the true EPA range), for those who want the most range and don't care about AWD. $43k for that model, with black premium interior and black paint. [White interior is available for $1000 extra (also on the partial premium interior but not the standard interior).]

I wonder if the SR and SR partial premium models are software limited MR batteries? It would make manufacturing much easier and offer the option to open up the battery later for a fee (or when Tesla takes them back as trade-ins).

Back