Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RegGuheert said:
lorenfb said:
Other key points of the teardown video discussion:
I also heard some differences. Here is what I heard:

lorenfb said:
1. That the M3 sold at $35K would not be profitable, i.e. given the key costs - chassis, battery, & production.
Agreed, though he said "$37K", which was odd...
This has been very obvious since the model 3 was announced, though it will be interesting if an actual model 3 cost figure is eventually released.

Meaning TSLA never intended to produce a "$35k" model 3 as anything other than a loss-leader.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpCrkO1x-Qo&t=180s

No it’s two people that troll this tread and try and post everything they can negative about the model 3 and Tesla. Im confident if those tactics stop so willl the replies. It’s predominantly not the posting of facts or preferences it’s dumping FUD from internet articles over and over. This thread topic is supposed to be mostly about the 3 not a bunch of articles from shorting sites. How many more articles are we going to see quoting panel gaps on the model 3 after the production tweaks have pretty much resolved these issues? But I guess that does not matter.

FYI- Tesla makes many thousands of changes to the 3 every week. Of course once something is changed it seems to exist in infamy forever here. Even the quoted sources are clueless. Like this doofus that thinks Tesla uses zip ties to hold pieces on the car together. Opinions and debate are great, astroturfing is not. I see enough fake news already.

EVDRIVER said:
Like this doofus that thinks Tesla uses zip ties to hold pieces on the car together.
In the video, he showed one of the front upper A-arms from the car they tore down. There were two zip ties holding the weight in place. He's not the first to report on this.

Is this not in all the Model 3s? If not, how do they achieve the extra mass in those cars?

Here's a picture of the part:

vFKe8tF.jpg

RegGuheert said:
EVDRIVER said:
Like this doofus that thinks Tesla uses zip ties to hold pieces on the car together.
In the video, he showed one of the front upper A-arms from the car they tore down. There were two zip ties holding the weight in place.

Is this not in all the Model 3s? If not, how do they achieve the extra mass in those cars?

The ties hold it in place for the epoxy to set, they are not removed and are left there. They are not the primary device to secure them. There are many tech features of the car he never mentions likely because he lacks the tech to look deeper into the car.

Well I finally got an invitation to order and configure my 3. They emailed me that the 3 was on display in Newport Beach. Unfortunately the 3 and the S are sports sedans. I do not fit into any of them. II traded in my eGolf for that reason. I do fit into the X but with only color and autopilot it was around 87K. Given Tesla's shaky finances that is just too much money to risk.

The 3 is only offered fully loaded. It 8s in the fifties when you add options and color, Since with my bad hip it is not an option for me.

I really doubt the 35K car will see the light of day, Personally I think that paying 9K for a 300 mile battery is a non-starter. The short range of my current B is fine for me.

EVDRIVER said:
The ties hold it in place for the epoxy to set, they are not removed and are left there. They are not the primary device to secure them.
While it is clear that the straps are used to hold the epoxy while it sets, I will contend that this is a belt-and-suspenders approach. It is very unlikely that the epoxy would be sufficient to hold that mass in place for the life of the vehicle given how heavy the mass is and the vibration and forces involved.

GlennD said:
I really doubt the 35K car will see the light of day, Personally I think that paying 9K for a 300 mile battery is a non-starter. The short range of my current B is fine for me.

I'm new to this thread, so my apologies if it's been answered before.

But why in the world do people believe this?! Which version Tesla has NOT been delivered?

If you're thinking of the $50k model S, that price was after tax credit and for a model S 40kwh, of which they delivered as a neutered S60.

The $35k short-range model 3 had been announced without tax credits all along. If they have to cut out the model due to "demand", they will still deliver a $35k product to those who ordered it.

On another note, how's the battery-life on the B? I'm actually looking for a used one for a sibling, but couldn't find any long-term details on it.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
The $35k short-range model 3 had been announced without tax credits all along. If they have to cut out the model due to "demand", they will still deliver a $35k product to those who ordered it.

No one has been able to order the $35k product yet.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
The $35k short-range model 3 had been announced without tax credits all along.
Yep. Here is the delivery estimate for that model. In the same timeframe as the AWD

uc

WetEV said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

No one has been able to order the $35k product yet.

When I got my invitation, the option to "wait for SR version", with an expected delivery being late 2018 and price of $35k, was on the order screen. It's definitely not vaporware.

Why would a company offer a cheaper product when they have a huge backlog for more expensive trims? Tesla is doing the right thing. Fulfill the more expensive trims, then offer the lower trim.

Phatcat73 said:
Why would a company offer a cheaper product when they have a huge backlog for more expensive trims? Tesla is doing the right thing. Fulfill the more expensive trims, then offer the lower trim.

Personally I don't think leaving early reservation holders to twist in the wind is the right thing. Though it may be a necessary thing.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
I'm new to this thread, so my apologies if it's been answered before.

But why in the world do people believe this?! ...

Some claim to know that the car costs more than that to make. They are desperately seeking Alpha. ;)

My key issue with the Tesla has been its management, but basically little with its products (MS/MX) until the M3 arrived. Today, given limited
parking, I fortuitously found myself parking next to a M3. As I walked along side, my first thought was; "What's with this simulated light wood
dash?". It reminded me of the BMW i3 with its bamboo dash. Tesla could have at least darkened it with a stain to enhance a sense richness,
i.e. to complement the M3's dark black color. Next, looking inside one finds this obtrusive display (small monitor) in the middle of the dash setting
horizontally, at least the MS has the display setting vertically and lower. The time of day was about noon with bright sunlight. Given that and
the glass roof (not appealing), the resulting display glare appeared to be excessive.

As I walked around the M3, I noticed the front of the hood positioned about a 1/4" below the left front fender. To correct that type of a
problem, typically a 10mm open-end can re-adjust the hood stops within a few seconds. Even more problematic from a fit standpoint
was the rear deck-lid interface to the left rear quarter panel. The lowest part of rear deck-lid was out about 3/8", i.e. it basically over-lapped
the rear panel below the deck-lid. Where was the final inspection crew at Fremont when that M3 was released from production?
Does Tesla even have a final inspection? Surely the production assembler would have noticed that and corrected it.

Yes, the M3 right now is the coolest toy to showcase as one drives. But pay $50K+ for marginally appealing "esthetic" car design with production
issues, i.e. quality control, I don't think so!

lorenfb said:
My key issue with the Tesla has been its management, but basically little with its products (MS/MX) until the M3 arrived. Today, given limited
parking, I fortuitously found myself parking next to a M3. As I walked along side, my first thought was; "What's with this simulated light wood
dash?". It reminded me of the BMW i3 with its bamboo dash. Tesla could have at least darkened it with a stain to enhance a sense richness,
i.e. to complement the M3's dark black color. Next, looking inside one finds this obtrusive display (small monitor) in the middle of the dash setting
horizontally, at least the MS has the display setting vertically and lower. The time of day was about noon with bright sunlight. Given that and
the glass roof (not appealing), the resulting display glare appeared to be excessive.

As I walked around the M3, I noticed the front of the hood positioned about a 1/4" below the left front fender. To correct that type of a
problem, typically a 10mm open-end can re-adjust the hood stops within a few seconds. Even more problematic from a fit standpoint
was the rear deck-lid interface to the left rear quarter panel. The lowest part of rear deck-lid was out about 3/8", i.e. it basically over-lapped
the rear panel below the deck-lid. Where was the final inspection crew at Fremont when that M3 was released from production?
Does Tesla even have a final inspection? Surely the production assembler would have noticed that and corrected it.

Yes, the M3 right now is the coolest toy to showcase as one drives. But pay $50K+ for marginally appealing "esthetic" car design with production

Believe you me, that worries me to no end. The only salvation is that Tesla tries to fix things to their owner's satisfaction. Besides, if I managed to accept the leaf's battery degradation and short-range, then solvable build issues for a fast, performant, long-range EV is much easier to accept.

Did you get the production date on that car? It’s beeen mentioned extensively these issues have been being corrected. Did you melt getting that close? Light wood is a design trend and did you check it was simulated?

lorenfb said:

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
When I got my invitation, the option to "wait for SR version", with an expected delivery being late 2018 and price of $35k, was on the order screen. It's definitely not vaporware.
There is a little history here. Tesla "sold" their Model S with a 40-kWh battery option. You could configure that exact model. But they never built a single Model S with a 40-kWh battery.

In that case, IIRC, they honored the 40-kWh reservations by delivering 60-kWh-equipped Model S vehicles for the price promised, but limited the available capacity in software. In that case, the 40-kWh option was not very popular, so there was no way that Tesla could have recovered the cost of tooling for that version of the product.

In the case of the SR version of the Model 3, there seems to be plenty of demand for that option, so the situation is a little bit different.

Another "read" on what Sandy Munro said about the M3 teardown:

Munro praised the Model 3’s driving performance, suspension, skateboard chassis, battery pack, styling, and electronics. However, he lamented finding panel gaps wide enough to stick his finger in, and a noise insulating panel inside the door that was installed backwards. His comparison was brutal: the Model 3 is built “like a KIA in the 90s”.

Despite these harsh words, on balance Sandy Munro’s comments were overwhelmingly positive. He didn’t pull any punches when it came to the egregious build quality problems he encountered. He criticized Tesla for (in his eyes) ignoring auto industry best practices. He was baffled by some design decisions. He even poked fun at Tesla fans, and read some foolish comments from the Tesla forum.

I would point out that it’s not too late for Tesla to improve its build quality. Munro’s hunch is that the build quality issues result from a lack of training for workers on the factory floor. That is something Tesla can fix. I think Tesla will fix it, and then mop the floor with everybody.

Discussion of Tesla’s use of robots is confused, in the same way that people often confuse Autopilot and full self-driving. People confuse the future end goal of full automation with the near-term plan for partial automation.
All factories involve some mix of automation and human labour. Factories can, in theory, be incrementally more automated until the point where no humans are working directly on the assembly line, instead tending to the machines. Let’s call that “full automation”, even though human labour is still required. Partial automation is anything less than that.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4164835-auto-industry-veteran-ignore-tesla-model-3-peril?auth_param=1adagi:1ddrtft:48224b1ccf612ee206f2e6d7a4814f99&uprof=44&dr=1

Back