Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kinda OT, but this is interesting wrt inching closer to direct sales. Apparently the dealers just provide the local presence for the delivery.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/02/09/gm-direct-sell-employees-trade--used-cars-public/80055382/#

drip drip drip

Yea not that much efficiency for the price. Look at the 70 and you get 10 miles for $5,000 with AWD efficiency.

$500 per range mile RWD vs AWD 70

$270 per range mile 70 vs 90

smkettner said:
Yea not that much efficiency for the price. Look at the 70 and you get 10 miles for $5,000 with AWD efficiency.

$500 per range mile RWD vs AWD 70

$270 per range mile 70 vs 90
The increased efficiency of a D is a bonus. The advantage of AWD is better handling especially, though not only, in snow. It seems likely that, for whatever reason, D orders have greatly outnumbered the RWD orders for the larger battery models. So Tesla is discontinuing RWD except for the S70. I'm not surprised by this.

One downside of the AWD, besides the extra $5000 cost, is a drastically reduced "frunk" compared to the RWD cars. I'd sure trade the big frunk for AWD but I live in an area where AWD would be very helpful. I'll just have to make do with RWD on my coming CPO S60. Not looking forward to that, claims of fancy new stability controls notwithstanding.

~Two year report on breakdowns and repairs required on his model S from a teslalebrity, in a ~34 minute video at the link.

I couldn't bear to watch any more after the first 15 minutes...

Bjørn Nyland did great summary of issues and repairs of his Tesla Model S P85 from 2013, which covered an impressive 210,000 km (130,000 miles).

List of major and small problems that occured in few years is pretty long, but it’s a neutral outlook.

Famous drivetrain replacements were also included (Bjørn reached third unit stage), as well as battery pack powerswitch, on-board charger, CAN bus error, and many more...
http://insideevs.com/bjorn-nyland-details-issues-repairs-required-on-his-model-s-from-delivery-through-present-video/

There has been a huge kerfuffle at TMC over Tesla changing the terms of the Extended Service Agreement, their version of an extended warranty, to make it no longer transferrable to new owners. This figured to reduce the value of cars sold as used and suggested that Tesla was concerned about taking on those maintenance costs.

After six days of heated discussion and blowback from owners, Tesla rescinded the policy change and called it a mistake: "was posted with an error". Right...

At least they do sometimes respond to heated criticism of policy changes.

Tesla’s reliability is one of the primary attractions to owning a Tesla. A change to Tesla’s Extended Service Agreement was posted with an error. Tesla owners can indeed transfer the unused portion of their Extended Service Agreement with the sale of their Tesla. Our practice of refunding the unused portion of the Extended Service Agreement also continues. In addition, we’re going to take this opportunity to go one step further: Tesla owners can transfer the unused value of their Extended Service Agreement towards an Extended Service Agreement for a new Tesla Model S or Model X.

https://www.teslamotors.com/support/service-plans

finman100 said:
https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/model-s-preowned-warranty.pdf

4 years/50,000 miles from day 1 of CPO purchase.

Transferable.
Yes, but if you buy a new Tesla you can buy 8/100,000, if you buy used no extended warranty. I bought a CPO Tesla with 2500 miles on it and Tesla won't sell me an extended warranty, unlike just about every other car manufacturer. If you are under 4/50,000, Tesla should sell you an extended warranty, especially if they Certified the car. Tesla has some idiots making policy.

Wireless charging is not going to last for long.
Tesla is working on a plug that plugs itself in.
Prototype is ready and functional but mass production needs more R&D.
Most likely it will be cheaper than stationary wireless charging
few years after introduction. Also there is no power limit.

First autonomous plugs will be used/tested at SuperCharger stalls.

arnis said:

We'll have to agree to disagree. Tesla's robot arm, like its auto-presenting door handles and Falcon Wing doors, screams 'expensive, low reliability and lots of maintenance'. Given a choice between a lower efficiency but no moving parts wireless charger, and an articulated nightmare like the robot arm (which will likely be targeted by vandals for their amusement), I know which I'd put my money on for long-term success. Wireless is equally suitable for home garage use, and it's hard to see robot arms ever being cheap enough for that. IMO all the BEV manufacturers will move to wireless L1/L2 charging; the high-end BEV companies are already getting ready to introduce them, and it will gradually move down the price scale like all other new tech. Wireless buried in concrete will always have the reliability/safety from vandalism edge.

You can't disagree on the fact that nobody can reasonably fast or rapid charge a vehicle using wireless method.
And there is a reason. Historical lesson: Nikola Tesla failed with wireless power transmission - same reason.

There is no maintenance on self-presenting handles and falcon wing doors. They either are reliable or not.
ABB or KUKA (or any other) robotic hands are reliable. Just downgrading in size and cost will not make them less reliable.

Underbelly plug would solve the efficiency and price problem really fast but it appears to be unnecessary step.
Non-engineer should not vote at all as this is more like gambling and not science :p

GRA said:
arnis said:

We'll have to agree to disagree. Tesla's robot arm, like its auto-presenting door handles and Falcon Wing doors, screams 'expensive, low reliability and lots of maintenance'. Given a choice between a lower efficiency but no moving parts wireless charger, and an articulated nightmare like the robot arm (which will likely be targeted by vandals for their amusement), I know which I'd put my money on for long-term success. Wireless is equally suitable for home garage use, and it's hard to see robot arms ever being cheap enough for that. IMO all the BEV manufacturers will move to wireless L1/L2 charging; the high-end BEV companies are already getting ready to introduce them, and it will gradually move down the price scale like all other new tech. Wireless buried in concrete will always have the reliability/safety from vandalism edge.

Except it requires something on the floor which presents many issues depending on the garage or situation, in addition you must pay a large penalty for losses and be ok with slower charging or use two stations. For the low power, lower consumption user with the proper garage it would be ore convenient. I personally would not want anything running on my garage floor so it would need to be flush and water sealed, not so practical.

And it will have some thermal problems in the summer. Imagine Leaf's battery heater running in
summer. This is exactly what happens between garage floor and vehicle belly.
Energy is not lost, it is converted into heat. One step closer to internal combustion engines :lol:
I imagine electricity suppliers doing some funding for wireless charging :lol:

EDIT: two battery heaters.

I've never taken CR very seriously myself, but a lot of other people seem to.

Consumer Reports... no longer considers the Model S to be the top car in its class, Jake Fisher, director of auto testing, told Reuters as Consumer Reports announced its list of best overall car brands. The Model S now sits behind the BMW 750i xDrive, Lexus LS 460L, and Audi A8 L in the rankings.

“They are having issues and they need to work that out before they introduce new models,” Fisher said. Tesla’s quality issues include problems with hatches, door handles, electric motors, and batteries, and have increased as the company has ramped up production of the electric car, he said...
http://ecomento.com/2016/02/25/consumer-reports-cites-quality-issues-with-tesla-model-s/

I haven't seen the explanation for those poor test results, which led to the disincentive penalty.

Singapore considers Model S EV a high carbon emission vehicle based on fuel consumption and upstream power generation

9 March 2016

Channel NewsAsia recently reported on the case of a Tesla Model S owner in Singapore who, rather than receiving the Carbon Emissions-based Vehicle Scheme (CEVS) rebate he expected of S$15,000 (US$10,841) was hit with a CEVS surcharge of S$15,000 for having high carbon emissions...

As Channel NewsAsia determined, Singapore’s Land Transport Authority (LTA), the agency responsible for planning, operating, and maintaining Singapore’s land transport infrastructure and systems, tested the Models S using United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) R101 standards. The result was that the electric energy consumption of was 444 Wh/km...
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/03/20160309-lta.html

pkulak said:
Steel, aluminum, glass and leather tend to not burst violently into flame.

"The flames you see in the picture and video were mostly from plastic in the interior that caught fire.” He emphasized that the battery did not explode.
Read more at http://www.teslarati.com/tesla-short-circuit-cause-for-model-s-norway-fire/#5crxjbVCjlVHbqv6.99

http://www.teslarati.com/tesla-short-circuit-cause-for-model-s-norway-fire/#k3FGSMuyUW5O1zI4.99

Far more fires are caused by arson and insurance fraud than EV battery issues. I still feel much safer in my 70D than anything I have previously driven.

It's getting a new 'face' ... 2016 Tesla S sedan.

EV's don't need the same 'grill' that ICE's do so perhaps a bit surprised something like this didn't happen sooner

2016-04-12-10.26.16-am.jpg

It's also getting a few more goodies worth mentioning and perhaps looks a bit better in red (via this link) although white doesn't look bad either; this appears more 'finished' then the prototype Model 3's we've seen as I would think its close to a production version:

Other new goodies brought by the update include refreshed headlights, a 48 amp standard charger and two new interior trim options, to name a few. Tesla also made the HEPA filtration system from the Model X available on the revamped Model S, but for an additional fee.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/2016-tesla-model-s-goodbye-grille-opening#ixzz45ixm8JXb

redLEAF said:
It's getting a new 'face' ...
And a new price.

Tesla's ~$50,000 BEV now will cost you $72,700, before adding options and subtracting rebates.

2016 Tesla Model S gets styling update, 48-amp charger, new interior options, $1,500 price increase

...Configuring a base rear-wheel-drive Model S with the 70-kilowatt-hour battery pack on Tesla's site this morning shows a price of $71,500.

Tesla confirmed to Green Car Reports that the prices reflect an increase of $1,500 for all models. A mandatory delivery fee of $1,200 must be added as well...
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1103380_2016-tesla-model-s-gets-styling-update-48-amp-charger-new-interior-options

redLEAF said:
...It's also getting a few more goodies worth mentioning and perhaps looks a bit better in red (via this link) although white doesn't look bad either; this appears more 'finished' then the prototype Model 3's we've seen as I would think its close to a production version...
I like the new look; I never cared for the fake grill nose of the old S, although it makes them easy to recognize in the wild because it is so distinctive.

They also have a center console standard now, as well some additional storage details. Those who liked the lack of a console are disappointed — many women use the area as a convenient place to stash a purse — but it was the subject of a lot of complaints and aftermarket solutions.

Back