Official Kia Soul EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NX2001 said:
I'll be happy to pay a $200/yr road tax...

If everyone else does...

True enough. I really would not mind a fair system, and even though flat rate for all isn't fair (weight of vehicles, etc.), it's better than a punitive EV tax.

eloder said:
NX2001 said:
I'll be happy to pay a $200/yr road tax...

If everyone else does...

True enough. I really would not mind a fair system, and even though flat rate for all isn't fair (weight of vehicles, etc.), it's better than a punitive EV tax.
For more details of what the bill includes, see here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=18946&p=419481#p419481" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back on topic... finally got to take delivery of this tonight.

tumblr_nmvlqndGbS1qc8yzvo1_1280.jpg

tractioninc said:

Does the red trim indicate that it's a BEV Soul? Can't really tell whether the ones I see
have a tail pipe or not to determine if it's got an ICE or not.

tractioninc said:

We can see the charge port in the 'grill' -- this is the spot I would prefer as well just because of where my EVSE is in my own garage and can see the EV badging on the front fender (subtle, but it's there) as well as the distinctive wheels so this is definitely the Soul EV. It's something that doesn't 'scream' look at me, I'm an EV!, which is fine, more stealth appeal. Have not seen this color combo on their EV (more typical blue/white launch color; only while were out in CA), this is quite nice too. Very nice and keep us all posted on how it performs!

lorenfb said:
tractioninc said:

Does the red trim indicate that it's a BEV Soul? Can't really tell whether the ones I see
have a tail pipe or not to determine if it's got an ICE or not.
IIRR there are currently only four color choices for the Soul EV: White, Blue with White top, Gray, and Black with Red. At least the Blue/White and Black/Red are unique to the Soul EV, not sure about the Gray. Other than the colors, the closed grill is the easiest feature to spot (just saw another blue/white one today, ID'd from both features). The badges on the fenders are a bit small, but easy to use for ID if you're close enough.

GRA said:
At least the Blue/White and Black/Red are unique to the Soul EV, not sure about the Gray. Other than the colors, the closed grill is the easiest feature to spot (just saw another blue/white one today, ID'd from both features). The badges on the fenders are a bit small, but easy to use for ID if you're close enough.

Thanks for narrowing it to the colors. Can't always have a view of the front while driving or the side badges
when a few cars away.

tractioninc said:

Congrats! Please do keep us in the loop - I really look forward to hearing how this car performs in the real world!

pkulak said:
tractioninc said:

I want this color combo. GO BLAZERS!!!

That car is so ugly it is a perfect example that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I am glad you like it but it is not for me.

tractioninc said:

Are lease rates as attractive as current ones for the leaf? i.e $280 a month with zero down for 24 months.

GlennD said:
That car is so ugly it is a perfect example that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I am glad you like it but it is not for me.

I got a pretty good chuckle out of this comment... of all people, this coming from a guy with a Leaf and a Cayenne!
At least the Porsche is a post-facelift model ;)

atlevdude said:
Are lease rates as attractive as current ones for the leaf? i.e $280 a month with zero down for 24 months.

I don't qualify for Nissan VPP so I din't have access to the real deals, unfortunately. I wasn't interested in a Leaf S, and the lease I was quoted for a Leaf SV was very close to what I'm paying for the Soul EV Plus, $279/mo with $1999 down.

tractioninc said:
GlennD said:

I got a pretty good chuckle out of this comment... of all people, this coming from a guy with a Leaf and a Cayenne!

And a Mercedes B-EV, which isn't exactly pretty either.

RonDawg said:
tractioninc said:
GlennD said:

And a Mercedes B-EV, which isn't exactly pretty either.

I do not know where the other cars come in. I traded my Leaf for my Mercedes and indeed beauty is in the eye of the beholder since I like the looks of the car in white. I saw a black one at the OC Auto Show and it was not my cup of tea.

The car is shaped like a generic small SUV. Since I am a long time SUV person it works for me.

I love that Soul!

There's a similar color scheme you can grab on the smart ED:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-YRzvE3qng&t=3s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm going to extend my Leaf lease - unfortunately Soul EV doesn't get here before my lease expires.

Then, I can decide whether to go with Soul or MBED or just keep Leaf for another year.

BTW, does Kia offer 2 year leases ? Are there any VPP kind of deals with Kia ?

I didn't see this in the thread from December so... Fully Charged has Soul

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ-sJvBhfhA[/youtube]

AndyH said:
I didn't see this in the thread from December so... Fully Charged has Soul

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ-sJvBhfhA[/youtube]

that youtube URL format doesn't work for me, maybe not for anyone, not sure what browser you used to test it.

Here it is outside the [youtube] formatting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ-sJvBhfhA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I took Soul EV from a test drive the other day.

One thing that I had not anticipated is that the trunk is quite small compared to Leaf's. It probably makes it impractical for us. After we put a stroller there's isn't space for anything else.

The other thing that would make it impractical is what the dealer told me. He expects to get only 2 or 3. He would have zero incentive to offer a good price - he expects msrp. Kia doesn't have anything like VPP, either.

I'll wait to see the lease rates - but I expect to keep Leaf for one more year of lease extension ...

Looks like Kia will be like Ford Focus EV - officially not a compliance car and available nationwide, but in such small quantities that it will sell like a compliance car.

The trunk looks smaller than it really is due to the filler panel to make the trunk floor more flush with the hatch opening. Remove that panel and you have more space, though not quite as much as the Leaf's due to the presence of the fan for the battery TMS.

Back