Official VW e-Golf thread - $29,815

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
asimba2 said:
It looks like VW is hitting the advertising pretty good. I received a nice multi-page marketing piece advertising only the EV version of the Golf, as well as an offer for a $50 VISA card if I come test drive one. Not sure if I was targeted because they know I am an EV owner or if they really are that interested in marketing and selling the EV version. Either way, I plan to drive it this weekend.

I also received one. I think it is targeted to Leaf owners. Too late, I REALLY like my B Class and I am not in the market.

asimba2 said:
It looks like VW is hitting the advertising pretty good. I received a nice multi-page marketing piece advertising only the EV version of the Golf, as well as an offer for a $50 VISA card if I come test drive one. Not sure if I was targeted because they know I am an EV owner or if they really are that interested in marketing and selling the EV version. Either way, I plan to drive it this weekend.
I also received one of those. I didn't look carefully at the card but I noticed their marketing dept was sloppy and used a picture of Mennekes Type 2 plug and inlet (also w/o the DC FC pins (Combo2 at http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5012#p5012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)). This is rather goofy since we don't use that here in the US but the Europeans do...

I've test driven it once already at the SF Auto Show, which might be how VW has my name and address. Not sure if I want to bother w/the possibility of being bothered by salesman later. Too bad it's not transferable to anyone else, otherwise, I'd offer it up for grabs on the EV distribution list at my work. We have a # of e-Golfs at my work already. IIRC, they already outnumber the number of FFEs, i3's and Spark EVs (individually) we have.

I drove the e-Golf today and my wife and I came to the following conclusion:

e-Golf pros:
- e-Golf looks better than the Leaf on the outside and interior has a more premium feel
- multiple regen modes and the strongest was stronger than the Leaf's B-mode
- front seats have power recline (but manual fore/aft adjustment). The pwr recline offers infinite adjustment that the manual recline can't match
- LED DRLs
- more of a european feel--solid over bumps and better handling than the Leaf
- I prefer the analog instrument dials over the Leaf's electronic ones
- nice exterior color options

e-Golf cons:
- charge port at the rear and in my area the SAE combo is not nearly as common as the Leaf's CHaDEMO
- touch screen is smaller than the Leaf and somehow it just seems tiny and hard to see when using the rear view camera
- acceleration seems just very slightly less responsive than the Leaf. It feels slightly slower than the Leaf, particularly from 40-60 mph
- I hate the aero wheels, but that's personal preference

I am waiting for a higher range EV, but the e-Golf is a nice alternative to the Leaf. If I had to choose one today I am hard-pressed to say which one I would end up with. The lack of CHaDEMO would be concerning in the long run, but in the past two years I have NEVER been able to use CHaDEMO because they are either broken or already in use with a line of cars in queue.

The e-Golf with slightly more power, more range and an available sunroof would be a sweet car.

asimba2 said:
I drove the e-Golf today and my wife and I came to the following conclusion:

e-Golf pros:
- e-Golf looks better than the Leaf on the outside and interior has a more premium feel
- multiple regen modes and the strongest was stronger than the Leaf's B-mode
- front seats have power recline (but manual fore/aft adjustment). The pwr recline offers infinite adjustment that the manual recline can't match
- LED DRLs
- more of a european feel--solid over bumps and better handling than the Leaf
- I prefer the analog instrument dials over the Leaf's electronic ones
- nice exterior color options

e-Golf cons:
- charge port at the rear and in my area the SAE combo is not nearly as common as the Leaf's CHaDEMO
- touch screen is smaller than the Leaf and somehow it just seems tiny and hard to see when using the rear view camera
- acceleration seems just very slightly less responsive than the Leaf. It feels slightly slower than the Leaf, particularly from 40-60 mph
- I hate the aero wheels, but that's personal preference

I am waiting for a higher range EV, but the e-Golf is a nice alternative to the Leaf. If I had to choose one today I am hard-pressed to say which one I would end up with. The lack of CHaDEMO would be concerning in the long run, but in the past two years I have NEVER been able to use CHaDEMO because they are either broken or already in use with a line of cars in queue.

The e-Golf with slightly more power, more range and an available sunroof would be a sweet car.

I also went out and test drove it today. I ditto most of your comments with the following adjustments.

Pros:
- Acceleration to me seemed better than the Leaf's. But the driver sits lower to the ground, so it could be a perception matter.
- Feels much more sure-footed and nimble. eGolf is more of a driver's car while Leaf is more utility.

Cons:
- Slightly smaller trunk area.
- Definite ditto on the SAE concern as the only Level 3 I've seen in my area are ChadeMo. But we don't DC charge very often (like 10 times total in nearly 2 years.)
- Their 2015 has virtually same range as Leaf's 2011 tech.

We're extremely happy with our 2013 Leaf. But if I were to buy now, I would go eGolf over the Leaf. Though I would be very hard pressed to decide between the eGolf and the B, which I also really liked when I test drove it.

GlennD said:
asimba2 said:

I also received one. I think it is targeted to Leaf owners. Too late, I REALLY like my B Class and I am not in the market.

I also received one. I'm betting that ChargePoint, Blink or Plug-Share sold a mailing list unless the California rebate program is publicly accessible data.

Test drove it today and loved it. I also loved the B. So when it is time, I'm going to be hard pressed to decide which one to go with. Of the EV's I've driven thus far, to me the Tesla, B, eGolf, and Leaf are the best out there. Sorry Smart, Spark, Focus and Volt. I can't bring myself to try the i3, Fiat or Miev due to what I consider ugly designs. I still need to look at/drive the Kia.

But I'm definitely glad that there are now more options available. I know some people really like the Fiat and i3. That is part of what makes a market. The EVs need to have options available that are attractive to a wide range of individual preferences. Now we need some good SUV choices. I like the Rav4, but can't quite accept the price tag.

DarthPuppy said:
I also went out and test drove it today. I ditto most of your comments with the following adjustments.

Pros:
- Acceleration to me seemed better than the Leaf's. But the driver sits lower to the ground, so it could be a perception matter.
- Feels much more sure-footed and nimble. eGolf is more of a driver's car while Leaf is more utility.

Cons:
- Slightly smaller trunk area.
- Definite ditto on the SAE concern as the only Level 3 I've seen in my area are ChadeMo. But we don't DC charge very often (like 10 times total in nearly 2 years.)
- Their 2015 has virtually same range as Leaf's 2011 tech.

We're extremely happy with our 2013 Leaf. But if I were to buy now, I would go eGolf over the Leaf. Though I would be very hard pressed to decide between the eGolf and the B, which I also really liked when I test drove it.

The e-Golf has an 85kW to the Leaf's 80kW motor so it should be faster, but did not feel quite as strong to me. But who knows, and honestly it wasn't a huge difference from the Leaf; acceleration is very comparable.

As much as I love our LEAF, I think I would also choose the e-Golf, mostly for it's better handling.

asimba2 said:
The e-Golf has an 85kW to the Leaf's 80kW motor so it should be faster, but did not feel quite as strong to me. But who knows, and honestly it wasn't a huge difference from the Leaf; acceleration is very comparable.

As much as I love our LEAF, I think I would also choose the e-Golf, mostly for it's better handling.

Concur, the stats suggest it should be faster and it seemed that way to me, but wasn't a real clear difference. But the eGolf handling is distinctly better.

I'm thinking that unless the next Leaf bumps up the range at least 50%, it will lose the dominance it has enjoyed over the past 4 years. There are too many competitors showing up in the 80-100 mile range with better fit and finish at competitive price points. Perhaps they can offer enhanced charging flexibility by having the next leaf include both ChadeMo and SAE Combo charging ports. This wouldn't take any more room. I would think this would be a huge selling point given the existing ChadeMo network coverage and the SAE Combo isn't that well deployed yet. It would also alleviate concerns that someone might be buying a Beta just before VHS kills it.

I feel fairly confident that 150 mile EVs will be available when my lease is up in 2017, or shortly thereafter. What I am not certain about is whether or not any of those EV offerings will be compelling enough for me to BUY it. VW has a real opportunity here to set themselves apart from the other EV manufacturers by offering a hot hatch EV. While the Golf is the economy car, the GTI sits 0.6" lower on a more sporting chassis. VW is now offering a model they call the GTD--it has an up-rated TDI motor on the GTI chassis, and a GTE model that combines a 1.4L gas turbo engine with an electric motor and 31 miles of all electric range. Both cars are extremely fun to drive and put them in a completely different category than something like a Prius.

So I envision an e-GTI. Give us an up-rated electric motor with strong performance on a GTI chassis and I think VW will have a clear winner...a car I would want to BUY. Then just to get a little crazy, an e-GTI R (equivalent to the latest Golf R) that sports dual motor all wheel drive like Tesla has done with the Model S. With a bigger battery I can give up a little range to have decent wheels and tires and a hotter motor.

vw_golf_gtd_mkvii_513f505e74e74.jpg

My guess is the gearing on the Leaf gives it more torque at the wheels, than the e-Golf? I concur that the Leaf feels quicker, but neither is a slouch at doing things in everyday driving, very well. Acceleration of EV's is far better in the real world, than their numbers would lead you to believe.

NeilBlanchard said:
My guess is the gearing on the Leaf gives it more torque at the wheels, than the e-Golf? I concur that the Leaf feels quicker, but neither is a slouch at doing things in everyday driving, very well. Acceleration of EV's is far better in the real world, than their numbers would lead you to believe.

As an e-Golf owner, has there been any resolution of the charge lock issue? As it stands now there is no way for the car to unlock the evse handle unless you unlock the car. That will be an EV etiquette disaster if they haven't implemented a solution for this.

asimba2 said:
VW is now offering a model they call the GTD--it has an up-rated TDI motor on the GTI chassis, and a GTE model that combines a 1.4L gas turbo engine with an electric motor and 31 miles of all electric range. Both cars are extremely fun to drive and put them in a completely different category than something like a Prius.

The Golf GTD has been offered in Europe for quite some time, since diesel is extremely popular over there. The GTE is new. EDIT: apparently VW stopped making the GTD during production of the MkV model but re-introduced it for the MkVI: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/volkswagen/golf/first-drives/volkswagen-golf-gtd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, there have long been performance mods for the Golf platform vehicles. Just because VW doesn't offer a performance handling package for its BEV and PHEV variants doesn't mean you can't come up with your own from a variety of manufacturers.

asimba2 said:
NeilBlanchard said:

As an e-Golf owner, has there been any resolution of the charge lock issue? As it stands now there is no way for the car to unlock the evse handle unless you unlock the car. That will be an EV etiquette disaster if they haven't implemented a solution for this.

Not that I am aware of. It is a serious problem. And it is a pain every day. The car momentarily starts charging again when you unlock it, and this resets the charge display on my JuiceBox Premium. I have to remember to read it before unplugging.

Going through my mail stack, I have an invite too. Tempted just to try and compare handling... Lease at 249 a month (with 3.5k drive off), not bad for the consumer... Agree that the lack of LEAF plug DC quick charge is lame

DarthPuppy said:
GlennD said:
asimba2 said:

I also received one. I'm betting that ChargePoint, Blink or Plug-Share sold a mailing list unless the California rebate program is publicly accessible data.

Test drove it today and loved it. I also loved the B. So when it is time, I'm going to be hard pressed to decide which one to go with. Of the EV's I've driven thus far, to me the Tesla, B, eGolf, and Leaf are the best out there. Sorry Smart, Spark, Focus and Volt. I can't bring myself to try the i3, Fiat or Miev due to what I consider ugly designs. I still need to look at/drive the Kia.

But I'm definitely glad that there are now more options available. I know some people really like the Fiat and i3. That is part of what makes a market. The EVs need to have options available that are attractive to a wide range of individual preferences. Now we need some good SUV choices. I like the Rav4, but can't quite accept the price tag.

Could a mod or the OP change the title of the thread, to eliminate the price? Since there are now two trim levels with different prices, and the prices will obviously change at some point, it's unnecessary and misleading to have it there.

GlennD said:
asimba2 said:

Since the card said "In limited quantities. While supplies last", I tried calling the VW dealer printed on the card to see if the $50 Visa virtual reward was still available. The 866 # for the dealer printed on the card was disconnected/wrong.

So, I found the # for the dealer and asked to speak to someone about availability. I got transferred to a voicemail. I called again and told them about this and they told me along the lines of "it's Saturday... it's busy here, kinda hectic... can I take your name and #?" me: "I want to know if it's available before I come out." I was already away from home and a little closer to the dealer but I had no desire to blow 30+ mins to find out it's all gone.

I found a # for 1-800-Drive-VW in the mailer. That was useless as after I navigated their automated phone tree, it seems they're closed.

Called the dealer at 4:21 pm and left my name and #... It's 7:13 pm and no call back yet.

edit: Finally called the dealer again at 7:30 pm and got a human who knew about this. They claim they have no idea if there are still any credits available and gave me the contact info of the 3rd party company that's administering this.

Yeah the dealers don't seem to be on board with this marketing plan.

I went the day after I received the card. Nobody there had a clue about it or how to process it. After the test drive, which thoroughly impressed me, they took my info and said they would check into and get it processed. It took about a week for them to do that part and a couple more for the card to come in the mail.

I did this on a weekday afternoon and got pretty good support from them except for the fact that I was the first one with the card and they apparently had no advance notice from VW. If I had gone on a busy weekend, I might have left with a sour taste in my mouth.

To be honest, it is worthwhile to test drive this car. The $50 is just icing on the cake. If I had to replace my Leaf today, the eGolf would be on my short list, i.e., top 3 contenders.

^^^
I've already test driven the car briefly at the SF Auto Show. For me, it'd be not very high on my list if I decided to turn in my Leaf instead of extending its lease for another year. It's the poor VW reliability record and lack of competence when it comes reliable electrical systems, which isn't a good combination when to comes to electric cars. It not having CHAdeMO is another big downer.

It'd have to have a mighty cheap lease and/or some other very juicy incentives to make it higher on my list.

Interestingly, the guy at the dealer I spoke to said they were told not to push the car onto the folks who came in w/this card, that the test driver is/might be 6 months away from deciding, etc.

I emailed the 3rd party company on Saturday... we'll see what their response is.

I am also annoyed by the dumb non-configurable J1772 handle lock. We have a few of these at my work now and well, we can't unplug them when they're done to plug in waiting cars. A few folks w/this car and another that have non-configurable handle locks aren't particularly pro-active of at least unplugging their cars, after completion. (I wouldn't want them to necessarily proactively move w/o being asked as there's an utter lack of open parking spaces at my work until late in the day.)

cwerdna said:
^^^
I've already test driven the car briefly at the SF Auto Show. For me, it'd be not very high on my list if I decided to turn in my Leaf instead of extending its lease for another year. It's the poor VW reliability record and lack of competence when it comes reliable electrical systems, which isn't a good combination when to comes to electric cars. It not having CHAdeMO is another big downer.
I could see not having CHAdeMO being an issue in some parts of the country, but in the Bay Area? Per Plugshare there are currently 44 CCS chargers in NorCal, all but 6 or 7 in the 9 county Bay Area, so why would lack of CHAdeMO be an issue for you?

cwerdna said:
^^^
Interestingly, the guy at the dealer I spoke to said they were told not to push the car onto the folks who came in w/this card, that the test driver is/might be 6 months away from deciding, etc.
That statement is very accurate for me as I'm now 7 months away from not having to refund the California incentive. That would suggest they pulled from a database of existing EV owners.

However, unless my Leaf or another car needs replacing, I'm going to hold off. We like what we currently have.

BTW, I'm finding the i3 is starting to grow on me despite my initial assessment that it is ugly. The range extender is an attractive feature.

I have a 2013 Leaf S w/ quick charger. Just leased a egolf LE for 2500 drive-off and 192/m including tax.

I was considering 500e, which would have saved me $500 over the 36-month lease. However, egolf is a much more useful car, with real back seats.

Egolf drives better than Leaf, and is well equipped. It is smaller than Leaf, so it is easier for parking in SF. However, I don't think the trunk would fit two check-in luggages so Leaf has to be used for airport runs.

Overall, I like Leaf's instrument panel, location of the charger port, and trunk size. I like egolf' shorter length and driving experience.

Back