Official Kia Soul EV thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomT said:
And some of us don't care whether it is a compliance car or not as long as it is well implemented and priced, which the Kia is... :D

evnow said:
TomT said:
I like ducks... :lol:
At this point anyone who claims Soul EV is not a compliance car is a sitting duck

I'm not convinced that Kia won't still go for it.

Yes, it's obvious that limited numbers in only CARB-ZEV states is today. We don't know tomorrow, and Kia clearly isn't going to say.

The Rav4 EV defined the entire term of "compliance car", yet people love that thing. Still, it would be a better car if Toyota didn't make it.

TonyWilliams said:
Yes, it's obvious that limited numbers in only CARB-ZEV states is today. We don't know tomorrow, and Kia clearly isn't going to say.
Its obvious to me that Kia is being conservative. Dipping one toe into the EV waters. If the waters stay warm after a year then they might jump in.
I'll bet Nissan comes out with their 100 and 150 mile range Nissan Leafs before the end of next year and the Soul EV will be looking less impressive.
Ideally it would be nice if Kia countered and came out with an even longer range vehicle.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1095467_hyundai-and-kia-target-2-slot-in-green-vehicles-by-2020" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...Last month, the two carmakers announced that they would build electric versions of the Hyundai Avante (Elantra) and Kia K3 (Forte) compacts. ...
Coming out with a second electric car is NOT compliance car mentality. They are just being conservative.

I shy away from compliance cars in principle since it makes me question the manufacturer's commitment to the vehicle.

On the other hand I imagine that CARB understands that many of these will be half-hearted efforts but nonetheless, going through the motions creates pockets of expertise and cross-pollination within manufacturers' ranks. Which may yield benefits in the future. It sounds like Kia at least did some homework.

TonyWilliams said:

That goes for all compliance cars. Afterall GM is supposed to be releasing a 200 mile BEV and Audi has been releasing an endless stream of press release EVs ...

evnow said:
TonyWilliams said:

That goes for all compliance cars. Afterall GM is supposed to be releasing a 200 mile BEV and Audi has been releasing an endless stream of press release EVs ...

Do manufacturers get CARB-ZEV credits for selling vehicles in Canada and Europe?

Honest question, because I wouldn't think so and I don't recall any other thus-labeled "compliance car" being offered worldwide in any quantity.
=Smidge=

Smidge204 said:
Honest question, because I wouldn't think so and I don't recall any other thus-labeled "compliance car" being offered worldwide in any quantity.

The FFE is a compliance car that is offered in limited quantity in Canada and in Europe. Offering a total of 50 Soul EVs nationwide may be just to give Kia a green image in Canada, more than anything else.

I concur that Kia is weighing its options.

We have a couple Kia's. They called me a couple months ago (as part of some program with Kia), and I asked when the Soul EV would be available in IL. They said as soon as late next year.

Our lease is up in May with our lease, and so deciding what move to make next. Extend lease, lease a new Leaf, or try a different EV. We have EL plates, so don't want to give those up.

+1! Kia strongly hinted at the Auto Show that they intend to expand to more states next year...

It was also interesting when I was talking to the marketing manager there and told him, among other things, that the Soul needed more range to stay competitive... He smiled and said, "Oh, we know that!"

TonyWilliams said:

pkulak said:
The Rav4 EV defined the entire term of "compliance car", yet people love that thing. Still, it would be a better car if Toyota didn't make it.

The term casts more of a negative shadow on the manufacturer, because it implies they really have no commitment to the product or any intention to make the product successful beyond just meeting government compliance.

I think Kia intends to sell this product at a loss in large-scale (much like Toyota did with the Prius and Nissan is doing with the LEAF)- but I don't think they are sure when they want to enter the market in full force. Most other manufacturers are seeing which way the winds will blow and are keeping to compliance minimums until they see clear indicators that non-premium EVs are a viable product. Kia, to me, seems like they are still on the fence. They have a product ready to go, but they aren't sure when to go full scale.

Drove the Kia Soul EV at the LA Auto Show today... Was disappointed that B mode wasn't quite strong enough to give a one peddle driving experience. Also felt that from 0-30 mph there was a limiting of torque and 30-45 gave more power. Most of my driving is 0-30 mph. This feels like a downgrade in performance vs. my leaf.

Both the test drive car and the cars in the show had what appeared to be premature wear on the drivers seat bottom side cushion closest to the door. I'm afraid the leather may not age well. Also the test car's air conditioned seat didn't seem to work.

I was so certain this would be my next car after the leaf. Now I'm not sure it will be. I want something with better performance. What I really want is an Active E. The i3 is too ugly, too expensive, too few kWh, and lacks CHAdeMO. But it's the only performance EV short of a tesla (which is too big and too expensive for me right now).

JeremyW said:
Drove the Kia Soul EV at the LA Auto Show today... Was disappointed that B mode wasn't quite strong enough to give a one peddle driving experience. Also felt that from 0-30 mph there was a limiting of torque and 30-45 gave more power. Most of my driving is 0-30 mph. This feels like a downgrade in performance vs. my leaf.

Both the test drive car and the cars in the show had what appeared to be premature wear on the drivers seat bottom side cushion closest to the door. I'm afraid the leather may not age well. Also the test car's air conditioned seat didn't seem to work.

I was so certain this would be my next car after the leaf. Now I'm not sure it will be. I want something with better performance. What I really want is an Active E. The i3 is too ugly, too expensive, too few kWh, and lacks CHAdeMO. But it's the only performance EV short of a tesla (which is too big and too expensive for me right now).

I drove a blue/white one also at the LA Auto Show test drive and I didn't think the B mode was weak, though not quite as strong as B mode on the eGolf. Then again my 2012 Leaf has no B mode at all.

I didn't notice the "torque limiting" feature but then again as you know, the test drives were on a short course, and I did it during rush hour downtown LA traffic. I will try to pay attention to this and B mode ona (hopefully) more extensive test drive from a local dealer.

I like the car, as it has some features that you can't get on the Leaf, like driver-only HVAC and cooled seats. It's something I would consider a year from now when my lease is up. But the latter only comes with the top trim level, which only comes with leather, which I don't care for.

JeremyW said:
I can understand about not liking the i3's price and lack of range, but now that eVgo is really starting to kick into gear with their retrofits of CCS at their existing Freedom stations plus putting them at all new ones, and Kia is also outfitting their dealerships with dual-mode chargers, CCS is now looking to be a pretty viable network in So Cal and the Bay Area. Have you had a look at Plugshare recently, to see if there are CCS chargers located to meet your needs?

How does the Soul EV look for my worst case commute?

50km (31mi) from home to work, parked outside at work for 12 hours overnight, no charging available whatsoever, then 50km (31mi) back home. Can it be done in windy -25C (-13F) winter with snow covered roads?

Is this looking possible or should I be saving for a Tesla?

hingisfan said:

50km (31mi) from home to work, parked outside at work for 12 hours overnight, no charging available whatsoever, then 50km (31mi) back home. Can it be done in windy -25C (-13F) winter with snow covered roads?

Looks very possible to me. My guess is that, worst case, it'll be close. But most days you'll probably have about 40 miles left when you get home. Battery degradation is unknown at this point though.

hingisfan said:

If you're talking about 2-inches of unplowed snow, that's a range killer. I don't think you'd make -15°C, let alone at -25°C.
At home, is there a heated garage? What speeds would you be driving? Is there no way to access even a 120V receptacle at work?

Too bad Ontario will not allow the $8,500 rebate on demo/courtesy/manufacturer vehicles with over 2,000 km. Tesla has been discounting their old (pre-autopilot) stock of inventory cars. However, most of them are sold in Quebec, since the provincial rebate is valid on demos having up to 10,000 km there.

Berlino said:
hingisfan said:

If you're talking about 2-inches of unplowed snow, that's a range killer. I don't think you'd make -15°C, let alone at -25°C.
At home, is there a heated garage? What speeds would you be driving? Is there no way to access even a 120V receptacle at work?

No plugs at all at work. Park outside for my 12 hour shift.
Parked outside at home too.
Usually go 95km/h, 5 stop signs on the way, probably be going 80km/h if the roads were snow covered.
Trip is 50km each way...it's the parking for 12 hours that has me worried.
Need to know if this is doable on my worst -25C days or if I would need an ICE for crappier winter days. If I need the ICE I have to factor in those extra costs when comparing to a base Model S.
Thanks!

Back