Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evnow said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
There are worse things in life than having him take your side of the argument:...
Like ?!

I miss Glenn Beck ;)
I don't have cable so I don't see "The O'reilly factor" but my understanding is it is far and away the ratings leader. From an advocacy standpoint a guy like that is in a position to influence a lot of people who would otherwise be led to think EVs are a subversive plot.

I don't know much about Glenn Beck other than coming across him on the radio a few times - he always sounded a little kooky to me. What have I been missing?

Uh oh. Let the Tesla hacking fun begin...

http://slashdot.org/story/200333" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GeekEV said:
Uh oh. Let the Tesla hacking fun begin...

http://slashdot.org/story/200333" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
would you want to run the risk of bricking that expensive toy?? bricking a $500 phone is one thing, I certainly do not possess the skills to be tip toeing around the "innards" of my $100k toy

GaslessInSeattle said:
For our family, we've "only" had the car towed once and "only" been stuck at a charging station once over these years of ownership. it doesn't really sound that bad and yet those two experiences left a lasting impression. sitting for 3 hours with two kids in diapers in a fogged up car in a cold, dark parking garage till the middle of the night forever changed our impression of the car and what we considered reasonable. our use patterns changed after that, my wife simply was not willing to get in that kind of a position again. The Leaf introduced us to many of the benefits of EV ownership but also to the biggest limitation. As more reports came in of fast chargers malfunctioning and people even having to spend the night in their car while it charged on the adjacent L2 charging station, we drove began only driving the Leaf within it's single charge range. When we got our Tesla S, it was sweet release to never have to contend with messed up public chargers or lines again.

Spot on.

I looked at the Leaf but eventually decided to splurge on a Model S. The range limitations for the Leaf means that for many trips, I would require a charger at the far end of the trip. If that charger is unavailable, I'm stuck. With the Model S, there's no trip around town where I truly need a charge.

gglockner said:
GaslessInSeattle said:
For our family, we've "only" had the car towed once and "only" been stuck at a charging station once over these years of ownership. it doesn't really sound that bad and yet those two experiences left a lasting impression. sitting for 3 hours with two kids in diapers in a fogged up car in a cold, dark parking garage till the middle of the night forever changed our impression of the car and what we considered reasonable. our use patterns changed after that, my wife simply was not willing to get in that kind of a position again. The Leaf introduced us to many of the benefits of EV ownership but also to the biggest limitation. As more reports came in of fast chargers malfunctioning and people even having to spend the night in their car while it charged on the adjacent L2 charging station, we drove began only driving the Leaf within it's single charge range. When we got our Tesla S, it was sweet release to never have to contend with messed up public chargers or lines again.

Spot on.

I looked at the Leaf but eventually decided to splurge on a Model S. The range limitations for the Leaf means that for many trips, I would require a charger at the far end of the trip. If that charger is unavailable, I'm stuck. With the Model S, there's no trip around town where I truly need a charge.

I've been saying the same thing for several years now. For the Leaf or EV's to ever become common, they must have a honest range of between 200 and 300 miles.

I trust everyone saw this by now, but posting it here just in case anyone missed it. This is about as funny as it gets.
http://www.bloomberg.com/video/tesla-not-a-victim-in-n-j-sales-fight-appleton-MyPKsLEZSuGd_SY6fGL_3Q.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LTLFTcomposite said:
I trust everyone saw this by now, but posting it here just in case anyone missed it. This is about as funny as it gets.
http://www.bloomberg.com/video/tesla-not-a-victim-in-n-j-sales-fight-appleton-MyPKsLEZSuGd_SY6fGL_3Q.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wow, just wow, LOL! "I'm offended that you'd refer to the dealers as mobbed up"

In our state, the dealership association paid off 175 politicians and came very close to passing the same kind of restrictions. I went to the capital steps, I talked to my reps, their response was "we had no idea this would hurt Tesla". the whole political system is "mobbed up", shouldn't be surprising, but when you see it for yourself, it is infuriating, particularly because the very party that says it's for free enterprise has been the most protectionist of their cronies in this regard.

GaslessInSeattle said:
wow, just wow, LOL! "I'm offended that you'd refer to the dealers as mobbed up"

In our state, the dealership association paid off 175 politicians and came very close to passing the same kind of restrictions. I went to the capital steps, I talked to my reps, their response was "we had no idea this would hurt Tesla". the whole political system is "mobbed up", shouldn't be surprising, but when you see it for yourself, it is infuriating, particularly because the very party that says it's for free enterprise has been the most protectionist of their cronies in this regard.

Notice how Matt Miller backpedaled on that mobbed up quip... like it suddenly occurred to him who he was talking to.

LTLFTcomposite said:

I would never buy a car from an automaker who I thought I needed an auto Dealer to protect me from.

not really about the Tesla, but funny nonetheless. Warning: NSFW!

http://laist.com/2014/04/23/man_strips_naked_on_pch_on_top_of_h.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doesn't look like he had much to brag about; He'd probably look better preening on the top of one of those VW "Jesus" vans from the '70's, rather than fouling a pretty red Tesla. :(

FTC coming out in opposition to direct sales ban

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ban-teslas-direct-consumer-sales-150000563.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LTLFTcomposite said:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ban-teslas-direct-consumer-sales-150000563.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the ftc did not come out against it, 2 FTC staffers wrote an opinion on the FTC site, the article on yahoo notes this and here is the disclaimer from the FTC site:

Andy is the Director of the Office of Policy Planning, Debbie is the Director of the Bureau of Competition, and Marty is the Director of the Bureau of Economics. The views expressed are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Commission or of any individual Commissioner.

apvbguy said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

the ftc did not come out against it, 2 FTC staffers wrote an opinion on the FTC site, the article on yahoo notes this and here is the disclaimer from the FTC site:

Andy is the Director of the Office of Policy Planning, Debbie is the Director of the Bureau of Competition, and Marty is the Director of the Bureau of Economics. The views expressed are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the Commission or of any individual Commissioner.
I stand corrected... buuuuuut, still pretty damning

LTLFTcomposite said:
I stand corrected... buuuuuut, still pretty damning

and most irrelevant, it is just another juvenile like comment. Tesla may or may not be correct in their assertions that the laws in NJ are unfair or inapplicable but their methods to date to effect change is childish at best in addition the FTC nor any other federal agency have no power or authority to intervene at this point.

I'm not sure if you were saying my comment was juvenile.

This is from wikipedia on the FTC (and yes, I recognize this was not an FTC position, just opinions of FTC insiders, but it still seems potentially indicative):

The Bureau of Competition is the division of the FTC charged with elimination and prevention of "anticompetitive" business practices. It accomplishes this through the enforcement of antitrust laws, review of proposed mergers, and investigation into other non-merger business practices that may impair competition. Such non-merger practices include horizontal restraints, involving agreements between direct competitors, and vertical restraints, involving agreements among businesses at different levels in the same industry (such as suppliers and commercial buyers).

The FTC shares enforcement of antitrust laws with the Department of Justice. However, while the FTC is responsible for civil enforcement of antitrust laws, the Antitrust Division of the Department of Justice has the power to bring both civil and criminal action in antitrust matters.

Sounds pretty broad to me, but I'm not a lawyer. These franchise laws may have just flown under the radar for a long time before Tesla came along and wouldn't stop rocking the boat.

LTLFTcomposite said:
I'm not sure if you were saying my comment was juvenile.

This is from wikipedia on the FTC (and yes, I recognize this was not an FTC position, just opinions of FTC insiders, but it still seems potentially indicative):

The Bureau of Competition is the division of the FTC charged with elimination and prevention of "anticompetitive" business practices. It accomplishes this through the enforcement of antitrust laws, review of proposed mergers, and investigation into other non-merger business practices that may impair competition. Such non-merger practices include horizontal restraints, involving agreements between direct competitors, and vertical restraints, involving agreements among businesses at different levels in the same industry (such as suppliers and commercial buyers).

The FTC shares enforcement of antitrust laws with the Department of Justice. However, while the FTC is responsible for civil enforcement of antitrust laws, the Antitrust Division of the Department of Justice has the power to bring both civil and criminal action in antitrust matters.

Sounds pretty broad to me, but I'm not a lawyer. These franchise laws may have just flown under the radar for a long time before Tesla came along and wouldn't stop rocking the boat.
I was calling the comments made by the FTC staffers juvenile, I will repeat my statement, at this point the FTC has no jurisdiction, no power to force NJ to do anything to change their rulings. for the FTC to try and interject themselves into issue is a complete over stepping of their authority.
if you, tesla, the ftc, the tooth fairy or anyone else thinks that the laws are illegal, are not pertinent or unfair then there are remedies available.
all the caterwauling by the tesla fanboys, by these jerks at the FTC is meaningless.
the path to remedy the problem is either via the legislature or the courts. if the FTC tries to intervene they will be and should be told to go pound sand because the law as it stands in NJ is none of the feds damned business

Back