Used Leaf Leafspy Questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samuelodog

Hi All,

I want to buy a used leaf - aiming at c. £7000. Pref Tekna, 60,000 miles, 2013.

I have compiled some checks to do with the Leafspy. Please can someone let me know if I'm looking at the right stuff?:

Ahr and SOH are the only two I'd look at.

at 100% charge, A new battery is 66 ahr, 1 bar lost around 50 ah, 2 bars lost around 46ah, 3 bars lost around 42 ah.

If the ahr are low and the bars are high this means the dealer may have reset it and the car is dodgy.

If the ahr is reasonable vs the bars on the dash then I can use SOH% as it is trustworthy.

Question: What if the car is not charged to 100%?? How do I read the Ahr?

Question: What do I look at in terms of GIDs?! I have never understood Gids, so the simpler the better please!

thanks in advance

samuelodog said:
Hi All,

I want to buy a used leaf - aiming at c. £7000. Pref Tekna, 60,000 miles, 2013.

I have compiled some checks to do with the Leafspy. Please can someone let me know if I'm looking at the right stuff?:

Ahr and SOH are the only two I'd look at.

at 100% charge, A new battery is 66 ahr, 1 bar lost around 50 ah, 2 bars lost around 46ah, 3 bars lost around 42 ah.

If the ahr are low and the bars are high this means the dealer may have reset it and the car is dodgy.

If the ahr is reasonable vs the bars on the dash then I can use SOH% as it is trustworthy.

Question: What if the car is not charged to 100%?? How do I read the Ahr?

Question: What do I look at in terms of GIDs?! I have never understood Gids, so the simpler the better please!

thanks in advance

Your list is a good starting point as far as the battery health is of concern.

Not sure if there is anything to understand about GIDs other than it is good data. Going in to turtle mode (limp mode or what ever) in our car occurs after GID's drop below 6 and before they drop to 4.

First, you have to realize that a very recent reset will also fool LeafSpy. IIRC, the AH reading comes back first, so that is the most reliable measure, but it isn't fool - or crook - proof. The only truly safe way to check the capacity of a used Leaf is with a longer road test that lets you use, say, 10-25% of the available charge while measuring the miles traveled. If the car will go 8 miles while using 10% of the charge at a reasonable speed, then the estimated range would be about 75 miles, assuming you won't be draining the pack. That's about what a new 24kwh Leaf would get, so something like 6-7 miles while using 10% would be about right for an 11 bar 24kwh Leaf.

You may be able to use SOC (state of charge) by percent indicator together with the AH reading to estimate the AH at 100%, but it won't be as accurate as reading a fully charged Leaf.

Please read my used Leaf buying guide:

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=26662&p=538030

GIDs, BTW, are just a more granular measure of energy. Sort of like using watt-hours instead of kilowatt-hours. The unit was created by Nissan, but the name comes from the name of the man who 'discovered' them in the car's battery management information output. His name is Gary Gid, IIRC.

Back