UCLA Luskin Center has it some EV report

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thankyouOB

http://luskin.ucla.edu/content/pev-readiness?utm_source=Jan+6+2013+Newsflash+PEV&utm_campaign=Newsflash+Jan+6&utm_medium=email" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PEV Readiness

Electric Vehicles & Alternative Fuels

With funding from the U.S. Department of Energy and California Energy Commission, California’s major regions are assembling PEV Readiness plans. The Luskin Center is the prime research contractor for the Southern California Association of Governments (SCAG) as it undertakes its PEV readiness activities in conjunction with the South Coast Air Quality Management District (AQMD) and the South Bay Cities and Western Riverside councils of governments. The Center is providing the major analytics required to understand and plan for PEV demand and driving and charging behavior in the six-county region. In particular, this research is aimed at informing the strategic development of public and other charging infrastructure necessary to effectively support a transition to PEVs in Southern California. Additional related projects include examining PEV parking policies.

PROJECTS

Southern California Plug-in Electric Vehicle Readiness Planning (SCAG/SCAQMD)
Electric Vehicles and Subsidized Parking: Policy Brief for City of Los Angeles City Council
Financial Viability of Non-Residential Electric Vehicle Charging Stations

1. Southern California Plug-in Electric Vehicle Readiness Planning

Plan Cover Atlas Cover

The Southern California Plug-in Electric Vehicle Readiness Plan and Atlas will help nearly 200 cities assess their PEV readiness and meet demand for PEV charging. The Southern California PEV Readiness Plan develops methods for:

Tailoring municipal PEV readiness efforts to local land use opportunities;
Prioritizing the siting of charging stations at workplaces, multi-unit dwellings, and retailers; and
Assessing the pricing and cost-effectiveness of charging opportunities for hosts and drivers.

The Plan also describes how the cost of PEV charging can be driven down by reforming municipal and county permitting processes, building codes, zoning and parking regulations.

The Southern California PEV Atlas provides a comprehensive series of neighborhood maps that characterize PEV ownership by neighborhood and project PEV ownership growth by council of government and utility service areas. Using a regional travel model, the Atlas also estimates time-of-day proximity of PEVs to charging opportunities at workplaces and retail centers. The Atlas maps additional charging opportunities at multi-unit dwellings and parking facilities.

Funding for both the Plan and the Atlas were provided by the Southern California Association of Governments, the South Coast Air Quality Management District and the U.S. Department of Energy.

there is an awful lot of stuff to read here.
i particularly like the atlas of where EVs are located and where folks work.
still havent had time to read much of it.

They have a lot of interesting reports, archived at http://luskin.ucla.edu/publications

In particular, Financial Viability of Non-Residential Electric Vehicle Charging Stations concludes that selling charging, by itself, is not a good business. You're squeezed in between capital costs on one side and a price barrier of the equivalent price of gasoline on the other. Or as Tony says, the Just-Drive-the-Prius effect.

http://luskin.ucla.edu/sites/default/files/Non-Residential Charging Stations.pdf

walterbays said:
They have a lot of interesting reports, archived at http://luskin.ucla.edu/publications

In particular, Financial Viability of Non-Residential Electric Vehicle Charging Stations concludes that selling charging, by itself, is not a good business. You're squeezed in between capital costs on one side and a price barrier of the equivalent price of gasoline on the other. Or as Tony says, the Just-Drive-the-Prius effect.

http://luskin.ucla.edu/sites/default/files/Non-Residential Charging Stations.pdf

This study is entirely of present L1/L2 (slow) public charge sites, and (IMO) correctly concludes there is no path to profitability. Look at the "opportunity cost" analysis on p 22 to see some indication of what, IMO is the fundamental unrecognized flaw in the charge while parked public slow-charge model.

Which is why I have long held the opinion that the practice of designing BEVs/PHEVs to utilize a public slow charging infrastructure is a waste of both time and money.

Any widespread adoption of BEVs in the USA will require a profitable fast-charge infrastructure,

The question we do need to answer is whether ~50 kW DC can be the first economically sustainable BEV charging infrastructure in the USA.

I believe that it can be.

This is likely an unpopular option but that is why I feel that a L2 charging infrastructure is simply a waste of time, money and resources. We should be building QC and very little else, not the other way around

edatoakrun said:
Which is why I have long held the opinion that the practice of designing BEVs/PHEVs to utilize a public slow charging infrastructure is a waste of both time and money.

Back