Things to consider before sealing the deal at the dealership

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supra410

Buying a car can be a fun experience. Many people enjoy the picking their vehicle, test driving and deciding what trim package works best for them. When the negotiation process starts is when the butterflys seem to kick into overdrive.

Don't let the dealership bully you into taking major decisions lightly. At the end of the day, you are responsible for paying for the car, not them.

When Leasing a car be sure to read the fine print! Leases tend to have many variables mainly credit worthyness, but getting as much as possible under msrp is the main goal...

When buying a vehicle. Don't focus so much on payment. Worry about actual purchase price. Car dealers are so focused on what payment are you looking for, so they can sneak in all the extra crap you really don't need.

You should seriously go to your credit union or bank and figure out what rate you qualify for. There you can get a baseline of what your payment can be.

Dealerships focus solely on your payment desire so they can manipulate numbers in their favor.

**Never ever pay full retail for a new car. Depending on supply & demand typically you can get them at invoice which is about $1000 less than msrp. In many cases even less than that**

Trade in is another area you need to maximize your return on. Don't go solely on nada or kbb tade in value. The numbers are market driven and normally wholesale is a bit less than what kbb and nada post. Your best bet is to sell on craigslist, as I know it's a pain it can be done with ease, even if you have a loan that needs to be satified. If you do decide to trade in your vehicle. Negotiate your trade in separate from the purchase as many dealerships try to bundle the whole deal. This way you get a much clearer picture of what they are stealing your car for.

The car buying process is a number game, and the buyer is rarely on the winning side.

Example:
You want a 2013 Leaf with an msrp of $29,900

You negotiate the car 1k off msrp.

28,900 minus 8k for your gas guzzling Sentra trade in.

$20,900 @ 1.9% for 60 months come out to about $365 a month.

Now you told the "trustworthy" car salesman you want to be under $450 a month.

He's thinking "sweet! thats about $85 a month I have to play with."

So you go back n fourth. He's running into that glass booth with all the dry erase marks on the window. Talking to the sales manager trying to get you a payment you like. What you don't know is he's really trying to figure out all the add-ons he can squeeze out of your desired payment.

So your sales man comes back and tells you "great news! we got you under your payment!" What he doesn't tell you is that you not only bought a new leaf, but you bought Gap insurance, the top of the line extended warranty, maintenance agreement, and a luster sealer.

28900 + 500 gap + 2500 ext warr +1200 maint contract + 500 sealer over $4700 in extras

33,600 minus 8k trade

25,600 @1.9% 60 months = $447.69 Just a hair under what you were comfortable with.

Now some of you are saying "I need those extras" while i somewhat agree you definately dont need them all. for starters.

Gap insurance. Now if you owe more than what the car is worth. Like no down or negative trade equity then I'd say yes Gap is needed.
$500 is alot of money to add on to a depreciating purchase. Also most insurance providers offer gap at a fraction of the cost from the dealer. You only pay a small portion as you use it. So say you had the car only two years and decide to dump it. You have only payed $100 and not the full $500 that you never get back.

Ext warranty. If you are scared of uncertainty then maybe you should consider it. I highly reccomend you study the existing factory warranty before even thinking of adding one of these. The cost is so high and 95% of purchasers never get to use it for a major repair. Secondly, I'm not buying a Yugo. Im buying a Nissan. Just because it's an ev. Don't let them scare you into a warranty. Also, there are other avenues for obtaining a warranty than the dealership at a fraction of the cost. If you dedcide to take the stealerships warranty, don't accept the first offer. Be as anti warranty as possible, as they have many options cheaper than the original offer. They prey on the fact that you aren't a mechanic and have no clue what repairs cost. Your most expensive repairs are engine and trans. and many factory warranties cover these for many years and miles. They always quote potential repairs much higher than they actually are. When you decline the warranty, the sales manager basically tells you how crappy the car is and how much of a fool you are for not adding thousands to your car payoff. Another crappy thing is most have about a $200 deductable, so not only did you pay thousands for extra security, you are also out a couple extra hundred bucks just to use the darn thing. Nonsense!

Also maintenance plan is a huge waste. Most new cars especially the leaf require little maintenace. Pay for it as it comes up. Don't finance it and pay even more interest than you should.

Luster sealant. Come on folks. How hard is it to spend a few hours every other month with a can of turtle wax?

The only thing these extras do are add to your payoff and get people in trouble when they are upsidedown in the event of a wreck or needing to flush the car due to job loss or they simply don't like the car.

Negotiating the price is half the battle, going into the finance dept. is round 2. Don't let them make it seem like you are making a huge mistake by not buying these items. Another trick up their sleave is saying your interest rate will be a little cheaper if you buy these items. Total bs! If they say your rate is 1.9 with the extras, but 3.9 without. You already have the 1.9. A toyota dealer did this exact thing to me and even though my paper read I was paying a higher interest rate from me declining all the extra crap. Toyota financial later sent me an ammendment to the contract stating the dealerships error in rate input. (sneaky bastards)

Another whammy is doc fee. $199 or less i can live with. some stealerships charge as much as $499 pay really close attention and most dealerships won't disclose that until you are signing papers.

They say that fee is non negotiable which is fine, but find ways to trim that cost during negotiations..

I realize a lease a bit different, but bottom line read, read, read every cost involved.

These guys are trained (math magicians) they know what numbers work in their favor.

Some folks say, buy at the end of the month when it's more a pushing inventory out the door than maximizing proffit. Does this work? I don't know. I do this and have been happy with my cars, but not really sure if this has a bearing on negotiations.

In closing, many dealerships add on a bunch of crap like pin striping, tint, clear bumper guards etc.
While many of these items are great they tend to have over a 100% markup. Tell them you don't want that stuff and 90% of the time they will remove the charge or discount it closer to a reasonable amount.

I'm not saying all dealerships operate this way, but the majority do. Buy smart and keep the buyers remorse bug at bay.

At the end of the day they need to make money, but try not to let them make it all from you.

thanks for the great information. Most of this we have heard from various sources, but having them all in one place really helps.

great post BUT the hedline makes it sound as if it is a warning against BUYING a LEAF not getting taken by the dealerscams.

thankyouOB said:
great post BUT the hedline makes it sound as if it is a warning against BUYING a LEAF not getting taken by the dealerscams.
Haha, yeah I didn't notice that until you pointed that out. I adjusted accordingly. :)

This is all good advice. I thought I'd gotten really good at buying cars from dealerships until 1994, when I ended up with a really bad deal due to poor preparation. Since then I've been extremely prepared and - most importantly - always prepared to walk out if I wasn't convinced I'd gotten a great deal.

Starting in 2002 I've taken a different approach and simply do internet bidding. Once you pick the car and its configuration do internet searches for inventory, check Edmunds TMV for average prices in your area, and send emails to the internet departments of dealers within 200 miles of you saying "I'm ready to buy/lease, here are the particulars". Most will contact you, sometimes quickly depending on supply/demand, with quotes. If you're lucky some will offer to beat other deals you get.

In order to watch for the dealer tricks that supra410 mentions ask to have the paperwork sent to you in email as a scanned document. This should give you the out-the-door price. This will work even with leases as you can verify the down payment, if they want an ADDITIONAL payment for first month, and the payment and other terms. If under any conditions they change the terms when you arrive walk immediately. You can let then know politely that you are ready to do this by saying "I'll be there by 3 - if the terms are as we agreed I should be signed an on my way by 4."

Trade-ins are harder - if at all possible avoid having a trade-in. Dealers love to have you come in to appraise your trade-in because doing so commits you to a sales pitch and also it's a hassle - they know you won't want to do this at a lot of dealers. Instead if you do have a trade-in note that in your first email. In subsequent emails provide car details, most importantly the VIN, number of miles, pictures, and any other factors good or bad that might influence pricing. Most dealers will give you a tentative price. Of course, they can legitimately change the price when you get there by saying "we didn't realize X about your trade-in", but there you have to use some judgment as to whether it is reasonable.

Internet pricing doesn't always get you great price bids, but if it fails it is usually due to low supply and/or few nearby dealerships. In that case you can expand your search. Most new car dealers list their new cars on Autotrader.com and Cars.com so you can look nationwide (in the US) for your car. In the early 2000s when Honda dealers on the coasts were charging large premiums for Odysseys many people were saving money by buying from mid-America retailers and driving them home. When I was looking for a hybrid in Colorado during the high gas prices of 2007 the big city dealers were all charging premiums but the dealers in the rest of the state (Glenwood Springs, Pueblo, Montrose) were offering large discounts. For the LEAF driving such distances isn't practical, but auto shipping is. When I bought my second LEAF it cost just $750 to ship from TX to CO - a huge savings, especially given that at the time there were no new LEAFs anywhere in Colorado.

Finally, if you hit the wall and everyone everywhere is charging a premium you might consider waiting. For new car models the high demand situations are usually temporary.

cgaydos said:
This is all good advice. I thought I'd gotten really good at buying cars from dealerships until 1994, when I ended up with a really bad deal due to poor preparation. Since then I've been extremely prepared and - most importantly - always prepared to walk out if I wasn't convinced I'd gotten a great deal.

Starting in 2002 I've taken a different approach and simply do internet bidding. Once you pick the car and its configuration do internet searches for inventory, check Edmunds TMV for average prices in your area, and send emails to the internet departments of dealers within 200 miles of you saying "I'm ready to buy/lease, here are the particulars". Most will contact you, sometimes quickly depending on supply/demand, with quotes. If you're lucky some will offer to beat other deals you get.

In order to watch for the dealer tricks that supra410 mentions ask to have the paperwork sent to you in email as a scanned document. This should give you the out-the-door price. This will work even with leases as you can verify the down payment, if they want an ADDITIONAL payment for first month, and the payment and other terms. If under any conditions they change the terms when you arrive walk immediately. You can let then know politely that you are ready to do this by saying "I'll be there by 3 - if the terms are as we agreed I should be signed an on my way by 4."

Trade-ins are harder - if at all possible avoid having a trade-in. Dealers love to have you come in to appraise your trade-in because doing so commits you to a sales pitch and also it's a hassle - they know you won't want to do this at a lot of dealers. Instead if you do have a trade-in note that in your first email. In subsequent emails provide car details, most importantly the VIN, number of miles, pictures, and any other factors good or bad that might influence pricing. Most dealers will give you a tentative price. Of course, they can legitimately change the price when you get there by saying "we didn't realize X about your trade-in", but there you have to use some judgment as to whether it is reasonable.

Internet pricing doesn't always get you great price bids, but if it fails it is usually due to low supply and/or few nearby dealerships. In that case you can expand your search. Most new car dealers list their new cars on Autotrader.com and Cars.com so you can look nationwide (in the US) for your car. In the early 2000s when Honda dealers on the coasts were charging large premiums for Odysseys many people were saving money by buying from mid-America retailers and driving them home. When I was looking for a hybrid in Colorado during the high gas prices of 2007 the big city dealers were all charging premiums but the dealers in the rest of the state (Glenwood Springs, Pueblo, Montrose) were offering large discounts. For the LEAF driving such distances isn't practical, but auto shipping is. When I bought my second LEAF it cost just $750 to ship from TX to CO - a huge savings, especially given that at the time there were no new LEAFs anywhere in Colorado.

Finally, if you hit the wall and everyone everywhere is charging a premium you might consider waiting. For new car models the high demand situations are usually temporary.
Great advice! I always look outside of my region. Luxury cars especially have a huge difference in my market vs. the Dallas market. I live in Tulsa, but got my Leaf from Southern California. Only $400 to ship and still saved thousands even from the Texas Market. One other approach I have noticed is this so-called "no haggle" pricing. Horse poop! 99% will still negotiate. It may be an extra few hundred bucks, but hey that almost covers your electric charge for the year. Let's just say I've lived and learned a time or two in purchasing both new & used vehicles. I personally know salesmen who brag about taking clients to the cleaners. Not saying all have the same business ethic, but better to be safe and expect them all to behave that way.

Great advice.

Odd thing happened to me when I went to buy my LEAF, I did TONS of research on prices before I went to purchase.

I had an approval from my credit union, no trade in, just a straight up purchase, out the door price.

I called 7 dealerships in middle TN & the first 6 came back with counter offers. The 7th, Downtown Nashville Nissan, sold me my LEAF for about $50 less than I offered!?! I thought, along with the first 6 dealerships, that I was low balling by about $2000. They didn't try to scam with with anything during the sale, offered GAP & extended warranty, but took "no thank you" as the answer the first time. It was the only time I've ever been comfortable about the purchase of a car.

Moral of the story, shop around.

Philip

Every time I buy a car and go into the finance manager's office I have to deal with this crap. I always tell them up front that I do not want an extended warranty, tire warranty, maintenance plan, window etching, lo-jack, extra sealant, or any thing else added to my financing. In most cases the last few years they will tell me some line that they are required to walk me through them or they will be fired. So I stick my fingers in my ears and go "la! la! la! la!" while they move their finger down the list of options on each piece of paper and I keep doing this until their mouth quits moving. After all, I'm the customer. I'm supposed to be in charge. I do not have to listen to that crap if I don't want to.

I was very pleased with I bought the Volt from Q Chevrolet last year. I told the sales manager up front before I went into the finance room that I did not want to be hassled about any of these things or I would leave. When I went in to see the finance man, he never once mentioned any of that junk to me. It sure did make things a lot easier.

Also be sure to use online tools like http://www.cars.com to shop multiple dealers within your zip code radius. This can show you not only who has the lowest price but who has what in stock. Turn the dealers into a commodity, this puts you in charge and you know what all their competition is charging.

You also want to make sure that the dealership is for "for the cause" of EV ownership and the EV community. If they answer incorrectly to any of the following questions, or don't want to answer them, might want to look for a different dealer.

* Do you allow people who didn't buy Leafs at your dealership to charge at your dealership?
* Would you allow other makes/models of EVs to charge at your dealership?
* What maintenance should my Leaf require? (Answer should be 6 month tire rotation, yearly battery check rinse repeat)
* Would you ban me from your service department and/or your dealership if I gave you a bad survey even if it was honest?
* Do honor VPP pricing?
* Do you have ADM (Additional Dealer Markup) on Leafs?

There is a dealer in my area that violates all those rules, yet claims to be the #1 Leaf dealer.

philipscoggins said:
Great advice.

Odd thing happened to me when I went to buy my LEAF, I did TONS of research on prices before I went to purchase.

I had an approval from my credit union, no trade in, just a straight up purchase, out the door price.

I called 7 dealerships in middle TN & the first 6 came back with counter offers. The 7th, Downtown Nashville Nissan, sold me my LEAF for about $50 less than I offered!?! I thought, along with the first 6 dealerships, that I was low balling by about $2000. They didn't try to scam with with anything during the sale, offered GAP & extended warranty, but took "no thank you" as the answer the first time. It was the only time I've ever been comfortable about the purchase of a car.

Moral of the story, shop around.

Philip
Thats great! Nothing more annoying than a pushy finance manager. I shop with my friends to make sure they get the most bang for their buck, and don't fall victim to dishonest dealers. I had one finance manager basically tell me I was taking food from his kids mouth by not letting my friend buy gap on a car she had 60% equity in. There are some great dealers and sales people out there. I think my biggest annoyance are sales people who tend to dumb things down for a prospective buyer. Seriously, we aren't 5 yrs old! I can be a very easy person to get along with. As soon as those old tactics come out. I tend to be a pain in their ass when buying for myself, or friends and family.

adric22 said:
Every time I buy a car and go into the finance manager's office I have to deal with this crap. I always tell them up front that I do not want an extended warranty, tire warranty, maintenance plan, window etching, lo-jack, extra sealant, or any thing else added to my financing. In most cases the last few years they will tell me some line that they are required to walk me through them or they will be fired. So I stick my fingers in my ears and go "la! la! la! la!" while they move their finger down the list of options on each piece of paper and I keep doing this until their mouth quits moving. After all, I'm the customer. I'm supposed to be in charge. I do not have to listen to that crap if I don't want to.

I was very pleased with I bought the Volt from Q Chevrolet last year. I told the sales manager up front before I went into the finance room that I did not want to be hassled about any of these things or I would leave. When I went in to see the finance man, he never once mentioned any of that junk to me. It sure did make things a lot easier.
Haha, very funny way to get your point across!
That's great they were willing to bypass all that crap and not waste an extra hour of your time.

Back