red is totaled looking at 17 with 8 bars

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NyNewLeaf

My teenager totaled Red. A big mistake to let a new driver drive that car. He ran it under an SUV that bent everything into the engine.

Looking at options. I found a 17 with 60000 miles but 8 bars for a decent price. I figure I pay cash, go to the stealer and get it fixed? I have really enjoyed Red but thinking to make lemons into lemonade here

Getting a 2017 with 8 bars is a great idea but be sure that the BMS firmware update has been done since that can drastically change the indicated SOH and number of bars shown on the dash. IIRC, firmware revisions with A or B are not updated, while versions with C have been updated. You can find the details if you search this forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Eq93RniJ8

thanks for the tip so it might have 9 or 10 bars with the correct firmware? I made a post over on the 16/17 30 kwh degradation thread as well

Yep, I bought a 2017 with 6 bars but after the update it has 10. SOH is 74% last I checked and now I'm not sure it will qualify for the warranty in time.

I wouldn't bank on the free replacement. Nissan is severely backlogged and is offering buyback. If in a good lemon law state you might make out ahead.

Maybe it depends on the dealer. I talked with a Leaf owner a month or two ago and they were scheduled for a 40kWh replacement in a 2016 Leaf. The dealer did mention that it would take 4-6 months for the new battery to arrive though.

Good information. I'm also looking at a clone of red! Another 2015 with charge package with less then 50K and only one bar down and since it is from a dealer it is eligible for the IRA tax credit

goldbrick said:
Maybe it depends on the dealer. I talked with a Leaf owner a month or two ago and they were scheduled for a 40kWh replacement in a 2016 Leaf. The dealer did mention that it would take 4-6 months for the new battery to arrive though.

It's not on the dealer when the battery comes in. There are multiple people waiting over 8 months with plenty of people taking a buyback. Mine is at nissan since may and the latest update is tentatively Jan 2024 for a battery

Back