New owner 2012 SV & couple of questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DARaynor said:
Thanks so much everyone for the answers and discussion. I thought I was dreaming about the Solar and free charging yet thought to ask... I know the power requirements and the use. Our Leaf will sit outside in direct sun most of its life, and be used for errands I am guessing 1-3 times a week. I am enjoying it and our 17-year-old thinks it is kind of cool now that we have it. ECO makes a big difference when he drive it, not so much with me.

Other than alignment and inspection (DONE!), cabin air filter, tire rotation at ~5k miles, tire inflation, what else should I be doing to or for the Leaf?
I haven't read this whole thread but if you truly have a '12 then I'd really suggest Leafspy and maybe even a old unused Android you could leave in the vehicle all the time. The '12's lacked the very useful(to me anyway) SOC% gauge so you could know the approximate charge of the battery, without it you are only relying on the woefully inaccurate GOM, Leafspy with a cell phone gives you an instantaneous SOC% meter. I use my SOC% meter all the time to tell me if I have enough charge to get back home. If I leave for a destination with say 80% I figure I really need a minimum of 40% to get back home, preferably 45% for a buffer. Of course, this is assuming similar driving conditions to and from, if it's all uphill to your destination then getting back will require quite a bit less SOC%, same goes for speed and other factors but all the same you'll need roughly half your charge to get back home.
Another thing to think about would be a $25 + labor switch so you can disable the heat and still use the fan, only from '13 and on did Nissan make this standard for the Leaf. If you live in a hot dry climate it might not be such a big deal but if you live in a cooler or humid climate it can give you a fair amount more range being able to run just the fan in cooler temps.
FWIW I've never changed the cabin filter in my '13 or used '12. Not that I think less about someone who does it regularly but I just don't feel it's necessary, at least in my area that doesn't have gravel roads and has pretty clean air. I do regularly check my PSI and generally keep it at max pressure or about 45 PSI. We also basically leave our Leaf in ECO, just don't like how jumpy it is with ECO off. Oh and on the '12 it ALWAYS reverts to ECO OFF after a shutdown :x they fixed that in the '13 and on and also on the newer Leafs you don't get that DAMN! nag warning screen about using the nav EVERYTIME you shut the car down :x

Just bought a 2019 Sv.
Love the ePedal experience.
Charging away from home is interesting.
I work in the city, round trip 10 miles with weekend errands. I need to only charge weekly from 15 back to 92-%. Is a DC quick charge ok to use weekly to restore my level to 92%?

As long as the battery isn't hot (past the middle of the temp gauge) when you fast charge it, that should be fine. Ambient temperature doesn't matter unless it's extremely Hot. It's the temperature of the battery that is important.

AjLEAF said:
Just bought a 2019 Sv.
Love the ePedal experience.
Charging away from home is interesting.
I work in the city, round trip 10 miles with weekend errands. I need to only charge weekly from 15 back to 92-%. Is a DC quick charge ok to use weekly to restore my level to 92%?

Congratulations on purchasing a LEAF and on joining this forum. To ensure you get useful advise in future, add your location to your profile. This is important, because battery degradation is far worse in hotter climates than more moderate ones.

So, for example, charging advise for someone in Seattle will be much different than for someone in Arizona. Providing your location also allows you to receive helpful advise from someone local to your area, which can be invaluable for servicing and other concerns.

My own experience with a similar car, independent of heat, is that it is much more convenient to charge at home during the night. We charge at Level 2 (240V) for 5 hours starting at midnight but only when the car gets below about 30 to 40%, because there is always enough energy in the battery for what we need to do next day even at 30%. You will soon figure out how to charge at home for enough hours to make your life simple.

...Charging away from home is interesting...

There's a short term novelty for sure, but that will wear off when you have to deal with idiots who ignore charging etiquette and rules. Also, if you have to pay for charging then invest in home charging - it will be a pretty quick payback period.

Can Ajleaf's post and all the replies be moved into a new thread? A '19 Leaf driver's posts are quite unrelated to someone with a '12.

Back