LEAF Windshield replacement Dealer or not?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ksnogas2112 said:
Since we're on the topic of windshields, does anyone know why we can have the wires for defrost on the rear windows but not on the front?

The short answer is vision obscuration.

People have difficulty seeing past objects at close focal length that are in the vision path. That's why many people complain about rear vision on the Prius. They can't see past the split between the glass even though it has a lot of glass.

I have seen some vehicles that use a single defroster line at the base of the windshield to keep the wipers clear. Good idea but costs money.

ksnogas2112 said:
Since we're on the topic of windshields, does anyone know why we can have the wires for defrost on the rear windows but not on the front?

Ford in the US used to offer the "InstaClear" windshield as an option on the 1st generation Taurus, and still does in Europe, or at least they used to. I know the Mondeos I rented in Europe (where it is called "QuickClear") in the early 2000's had them.

The InstaClear windshields had very tiny defroster wires embedded within the glass, and you had to look at the right angle and distance to even see them. Rear window defroster wires as seen in the last 40 or so years are painted on the glass surface itself, and are much thicker. I suspect the thickness of those wires is one reason why conventional defroster wires are not allowed on windshields, as they would be too distracting.

As to why Ford stopped offering it here (if not elsewhere), a quick Google search reveals some possible reasons:

1. High replacement costs

2. If the wires within burn out, the only fix is replace the windshield even if the glass itself is perfectly fine

3. The wires tend to cause interference with windshield-mounted devices like GPS, radar detectors, and highway/bridge toll tags.

RonDawg said:
Ford in the US used to offer the "InstaClear" windshield as an option on the 1st generation Taurus, and still does in Europe, or at least they used to. I know the Mondeos I rented in Europe (where it is called "QuickClear") in the early 2000's .

Austin/Morris had defrost windshields in their famous Monte Carlo Rally winning Mini Coopers. Very hard to find these days, and much desired if one is building a faithful replica.

Back