Kia to focus on EV; Hyundai on PHEV and fuel cell vehicles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
Those of us in the know, after having several meetings with the good folks from Hyundai/Kia, were certain that an EV was imminent from either/or. Well, it's official, via a HKAG press conference at the Frankfurt Auto Show today.

Apparently Kia is to focus on EV development, with several models being developed under something named "Project TAM" set to debut beginning at the end of this year. The first will be the BlueOn, which has already been seen badged as a Hyundai but will come as a Kia.

Meanwhile, Hyundai's focus will be on hydrogen fuel-cell vehicles and plug-in hybrids. The group has already developed a 115kW fuel cell, which it has operated successfully in Hyundai Tucson based trial vehicles.

I was personally hoping for something better than the BlueOn from the company. After all, they've got some really good looking vehicles, and the BlueOn.....well it's somewhat homely. But I guess we'll see what else they've got up their sleeves!

hyundai_blueon_f34_ns_90910_717.jpg

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2011/09/19/2011091900793.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mwalsh said:
Meanwhile, Hyundai's focus will be on hydrogen fuel-cell vehicles ....
ROTFL.

Auto majors keep talking about how batteries aren't "there" yet - but don't mind flushing money down the fuel cell hole.

evnow said:
Auto majors keep talking about how batteries aren't "there" yet - but don't mind flushing money down the fuel cell hole.

I don't quite get it either. I just don't see this being a viable business plan because:
  • Too Expensive by an order of magnitude. I know some people complain about an EV that costs $32,000 but what will they say when the see a sticker price of $300,000?
  • Fuel is much more expensive than gasoline! I mean, at least with the EV the customer knows he'll recoup some of the cost of fuel savings. What is the motivation to buy a hydrogen powered car?
  • Lack of infrastructure. I know people say the same things about EVs, but at least EVs can charge at home and public charging stations are relatively cheap compared to a hydrogen station

If they don't want to hedge all of their bets on electric, and they want another alternative, I'd rather then develop compressed-air-powered cars. Those have a much higher chance of succeeding commercially than hydrogen.

Hydrogen-based Fuel Cells (if the cost is reasonable) can be good for fleet use, when centralized fueling makes sense.

For compact, high-density, in-city use, where a "few" well-located "filling" stations might suffice, it MIGHT also make sense. But, making the fuel would seem to be energy-inefficient.

For suburban residential use, it would seem ... not for me.

garygid said:
But, making the fuel would seem to be energy-inefficient.
That is the main problem with H2 fuel cells - it takes 3 times more energy than a BEV.

Auto majors brought FC to just confuse and delay CARB. Now it seems there are some powerful interests with these companies that keep getting funded ... it is as if these companies started believing their own rhetoric. All large companies are just like governments - waste is plentiful, lot of politics, full of turf wars.

garygid said:
Hydrogen-based Fuel Cells (if the cost is reasonable) can be good for fleet use, when centralized fueling makes sense.

For compact, high-density, in-city use, where a "few" well-located "filling" stations might suffice, it MIGHT also make sense. But, making the fuel would seem to be energy-inefficient.

Gary, you know we have a filling station in HB that manufactures the H2 from poop, right? I think that's great, though I'll say I have explored what processes they use. However, I can't wait for the home version! Bring on the bean burritos! :D

Hydrogen is a great fuel but not the way that oil companies are planning to control, dispense and price it for everyone.

Hydrogen is the "next" fuel oil companies would like to sell us. Of course, only after every drop of $500 a barrel oil is gone. Hydrogen can be regulated (controlled by mnfrs), legislated to only be dispensed at gas stations from "certified" equipment for "human safety" and therefore priced for all these "services" however the current oil companies see fit. Be very wary that oil companies have put their support behind hydrogen. It's the next big fuel $et-up the way they plan to control it.

Back to KIA, I had expected something very impressive form one of these two guys in the form of a nice looking EV. Perhaps that is still to come but Hyundai has some great cars one that only weighs 2500 lbs and would make an insane EV.

Looks are so subjective and everyone has an opinion.. I think its a cute car, a set of alloy wheels and a more aggressive color will spice it up. Small cars like this that are optimized for interior space cant afford useless gimmicks just to look "better". How about the Bollore Blue Car?.. thats a snazzy looking small car.

Back