Kia Installs First 100 kW CHAdeMO DC Fast Chargers In Europe

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
donald said:
10 minutes is too long. You need to be able to pull up behind a queue at a charge dispenser, pull up, plug in, go in to pay, then come out and go.

You might, I certainly don't. And what is this "go in to pay" thing you speak of?
There are other ways to do it, as we are already seeing.

As for managing queues, that is more a matter of supply and demand. How are queues managed at gas stations now?
If you have the proper number of chargers at well placed locations there will be no queues. While the rare station full can occur at even a well planned out and fully developed network, the queue management is simply go grab a parking spot and wait a few minutes.

Zythryn said:
what is this "go in to pay" thing you speak of?
:lol:
Yeah. EVs will be free to charge for ever.
Zythryn said:
How are queues managed at gas stations now?
Because the 'dwell' time for refuelling is so short, the queues are simply tolerated until the guys in front move out of the way. This is do-able on a scale of minutes, but is intolerable on the scale of 10's of minutes.

I am somewhat amazed at the short-sightedness of many EV proponents who don't see these complications/needs arising in the future as EV ownership grows.

donald said:
GRA said:
I was clearly talking about increasing the specific energy in newer batteries
You were indeed, and my reply is clearly that this cannot be done, not necessarily will not. The first problem is that claims of higher specific capacity in a reliable automotive format are still just that - claims. The second problem is that because no-one has made such a thing, there is no way of knowing if doubling the specific capacity halves the CO2/kWh in manufacture.
1st gen Li-Si using nano-wires with 25% higher specific energy are being introduced in smart phones now, and appear to be on track for commercial introduction for autos shortly, so it seems that _can_ be done; 2nd gen suitable for auto use aren't ready yet, but appear to be getting close. See http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/174477-at-long-last-new-lithium-battery-tech-actually-arrives-on-the-market-and-might-already-be-in-your-smartphone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm very skeptical about 'its the latest battery breakthrough' (but only in the lab) press releases from companies looking for venture capital than most, but unlike the majority of battery vaporware this is a product that's been commercialized. What one company can do others can as well, and goodness knows there are lots of companies out there trying.

As I said, sufficiently reliable for auto use Li-S are at least one gen. away and maybe farther, and the Holy Grail of Li-Air floats out there in the realm of 'maybe someday', somewhere this side of fusion.

GRA said:
1st gen Li-Si using nano-wires with 25% higher specific energy are being introduced in smart phones now, and appear to be on track for commercial introduction for autos shortly, so it seems that _can_ be done
25% gain sounds promising. But it doesn't sound like double.

donald said:
GRA said:
1st gen Li-Si using nano-wires with 25% higher specific energy are being introduced in smart phones now, and appear to be on track for commercial introduction for autos shortly, so it seems that _can_ be done
25% gain sounds promising. But it doesn't sound like double.
No one is saying that Li-Si will get to double, and the company introducing them has said that the 1st gen is a conservative first step. As they get more production capacity and refine the tech they plan to go with pure Si nanotubes, IIRR. Course, that doesn't guarantee that they'll get there, but at the moment this is the most advanced Li-Si tech I'm aware of. I forget what the theoretical max. specific energy for Li-Si batteries is, but Li-ion is around 400Wh/kg., not that a theoretical limit is ever achieved or nearly approached in real life.

donald said:
Zythryn said:
what is this "go in to pay" thing you speak of?
:lol:
Yeah. EVs will be free to charge for ever.
Zythryn said:
How are queues managed at gas stations now?
Because the 'dwell' time for refuelling is so short, the queues are simply tolerated until the guys in front move out of the way. This is do-able on a scale of minutes, but is intolerable on the scale of 10's of minutes.

I am somewhat amazed at the short-sightedness of many EV proponents who don't see these complications/needs arising in the future as EV ownership grows.

EVs may not be, Tesla high speed chargers and any other companies that accept the invite to participate in the supercharger network will be.

I am somewhat amazed at the cynicism of some who don't see the success even though it is right in front of their noses. Current success is, of course, no guarantee of future success. However it does easily disprove statements of success isn't possible.

Looks like one of these is being installed in Asheville, North Carolina. There is a brand-new Signet unit sitting next to the existing EVSEs at the Public Works Garage on South Charlotte Street. It has one CHAdeMO port and one CCS Combo port. Not powered up yet.

Back