flat tire repair options

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gor29

I'm considering getting a compact donut spare tire and jack set, but am curious if the following repair kit will work better than the one that comes with the leaf, or is it just as bad?

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-70005-Safety-7-Minute-12-Volt/dp/B001DZFZPG/ref=sr_1_1/187-5804560-0028560?ie=UTF8&qid=1430805335&sr=8-1&keywords=tire+kit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gor29 said:
I'm considering getting a compact donut spare tire and jack set, but am curious if the following repair kit will work better than the one that comes with the leaf, or is it just as bad?

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-70005-Safety-7-Minute-12-Volt/dp/B001DZFZPG/ref=sr_1_1/187-5804560-0028560?ie=UTF8&qid=1430805335&sr=8-1&keywords=tire+kit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You will find lots of "horror stories" here and elsewhere on the interwebs about the warranty violations of using non-standard sealants and the costs of replacing the OEM kit. Unless the puncture is as simple as a nail hole, none of those products are likely to work anyway and will cause you more problems than they are worth IMHO. If you are worried about it, get the donut spare - although its possible you will need to keep the front tires the same size (more interweb legends). For my money, I think this is why god, however you conceive him/her/other non-gendered entity to be, invented road side assistance and flatbed towing.

I wouldn't use one of these goo-based ones.

I have a kit like this one that I keep in the car. Find the puncture, plug it, put air in the tire, and you're good to go (until you can get to a shop to add an inner-lining patch) without damaging TPMS sensors.

I added an Altima Donut spare, because I don't need all the storage space and because my luck just works that way. I also carry a plug kit. There is a topic or two here on how to add a spare so it's both hidden and secured. I suggest you ask yourself if you need a spare tire if only so roadside assistance can install it instead of flatbed-towing you (and only to a dealership if it's Nissan's program), or if a plug kit and a cell phone will suffice.

garsh said:
I wouldn't use one of these goo-based ones.

I have a kit like this one that I keep in the car. Find the puncture, plug it, put air in the tire, and you're good to go (until you can get to a shop to add an inner-lining patch) without damaging TPMS sensors.
I do the same. I also suggest carrying a pair of pliers to remove a nail. Haven't had to use my plug kit yet but it's there if I need it.

Back