Excellent LEAF Test Drive Video

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnr said:
Some good info on the video, but it leaves one question unanswered: does ECO mode make any difference under cruise control?
It doesn't appear that it would. The Eco mode increases resistance on the accelerator pedal and also increases regen. Those two functions are unrelated to cruise control.

About the average miles per kwh, I'm comparing this to my wife's Honda Insight (the new version).

With the Insight, from a fresh fill up, minor driving changes will reflect major changes in the average mpg. In driving a few blocks I can make the average mpg gauge move from 34 mpg to 40+ mpg's.

But, after driving through more of the gas in the tank, changes in driving must be made over miles before you get such great differences showing on the average mpg screen.

So, in the video, it looks like they started out with a nearly fresh charge. Mark said the the mpe (or miles per kwh) gauge was being updated every 500 feet. I'd be interested in seeing the gauge activity after the car was driven 60 miles on a charge. If it's like my Insight, it wouldn't have such high numbers and wouldn't change so often.

Overall, the video makes me more excited to get one in my garage.

garygid said:
Yes, instantaneous mpe can be all over the place, but the average of any "tank" of driving cannot be much more than "Actual-Miles-Covered / Number-of-kWh-put-into-the-battery" (to "fill" the e-tank).
This is true and it begs the question, what's the method being used to calculate the mileage range figure being displayed? It's self evident they're not using the average mpkWh shown on the display. I have another theory. Could it actually be displaying the estimated kWh remaining in the pack?

indyflick said:
johnr said:
Some good info on the video, but it leaves one question unanswered: does ECO mode make any difference under cruise control?
It doesn't appear that it would. The Eco mode increases resistance on the accelerator pedal and also increases regen. Those two functions are unrelated to cruise control.
I'd say level of regen and behavior of cruise control are rather closely related, both when going downhill and when engaging cruise control while above the speed it is set for. The Prius has a "B" setting which is somewhat analogous to ECO mode in that both will substantially change the "foot off" behavior when slowing or going downhill. I quickly discovered, to my consternation, that cruise control is disabled when you are in "B" mode in the Prius. I hope that isn't true with ECO mode in the LEAF, but I agree with johnr, that seems to be an unanswered question.

planet4ever said:
indyflick said:
johnr said:
I'd say level of regen and behavior of cruise control are rather closely related, both when going downhill and when engaging cruise control while above the speed it is set for. The Prius has a "B" setting which is somewhat analogous to ECO mode in that both will substantially change the "foot off" behavior when slowing or going downhill. I quickly discovered, to my consternation, that cruise control is disabled when you are in "B" mode in the Prius. I hope that isn't true with ECO mode in the LEAF, but I agree with johnr, that seems to be an unanswered question.

That's a good point! I usually drive on the freeways with cruise and am planning on using ECO mode.

indyflick said:
sjfotos said:
Great Video! Thanks!

The only I don't like is that chirping turn signal. Sounds like one of those irritating alarms...
I don't care for that turn signal chirp either. I was thinking they should at least make it quieter. The car hardly makes any noise, why does the turn signal have to be so loud?
That clicking/chirping turn signal was driving me crazy just listening to the video. I hope it doesn't sound that way in person or can be changed... might have to wait for another EV otherwise or I would lose my sanity!

Stoaty said:
That clicking/chirping turn signal was driving me crazy just listening to the video. I hope it doesn't sound that way in person or can be changed... might have to wait for another EV otherwise or I would lose my sanity!
I don't have to worry about that, I lost my sanity many years ago. No you didn't.... Yes, I did shut up... you shut up.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Geezus!! All this noise over a turn signal??. Look at the position of the camera....obviously that turn signals is not that loud
I was kinda hoping that rather than making a turn signal "chirp", that it would make no sound at all. But instead, after say five seconds, a sexy Japanese woman's voice would come on and say, "Excuse me Indy-san, your left turn signal appears to be enabled". Now that would be cool!

indyflick said:
I was kinda hoping that rather than making a turn signal "chirp", that it would make no sound at all. But instead, after say five seconds, a sexy Japanese woman's voice would come on and say, "Excuse me Indy-san, your left turn signal appears to be enabled". Now that would be cool!

"You left your turn signal on! Turn it off! MAU! (slap) MAU!!! (slap)"

hahahahahahah

indyflick said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Geezus!! All this noise over a turn signal??. Look at the position of the camera....obviously that turn signals is not that loud

Yeah! And after she gets to know you really well, she will call you "Indychan". :D

Yesterday at Street Smart in San Diego, I was going through the NAV screens on the LEAF. The LEAF they said was driven to San Diego from Orange County about 70 miles away. The average kWh/miles number showed **.* I thought that was interesting. I wonder if it's been disabled while they fix the software.

If the average kWh/m (or m/kWh) is over one "tank", then starting to re-charge could easily reset the number.

Is there a "lifetime" number, and several "trip" numbers to choose from?

Back