Can I charge using my Type1 to Type 2 charging cable using a CCS charger?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clivech

I've tried looking this up everywhere online and nobody gives a straight answer. So I have a Type 1 to Type 2 cable. The Type 2 end is the same as the top part of the CCS charging socket. Can I just plug in my Type 2 plug into a CCS socket and charge my 2011 Leaf? The CHAdeMo socket doesn't work on my car, so the type 1 socket is my only option. I'm staying somewhere overnight that only has CCS. I want to know if I can plug into the only socket they have available. Thanks!

The short answer is no.

There is a built-in resistor in the Type 1 to Type 2-cable which is used to indicate to the EVSE and the car how much current the cable is rated for. If the EVSE can provide 32A and the car can take 32A, but the cable is rated to 16A - you only get 16A. Because of this you can not use your Type 1 to Type 2-cable as an "extension cord".

But that is AC. If you have a CCS-charger, it will be DC fastcharging. A Type 1 to Type 2-cable will be of no use here in any case. And there is no easy way to get a Leaf to charge on a CCS-charger.

clivech said:
The Type 2 end is the same as the top part of the CCS charging socket. Can I just plug in my Type 2 plug into a CCS socket and charge my 2011 Leaf?
It depends if the AC "charger" is tethered or not (comes with its own non-unpluggable cord). If it's tethered, you can't use your type 2 to type 1 cord; putting cords in series is not considered safe, and the mechanics of the cords ensure this. If the AC "charger" is not tethered (there is just s socket there), then yes you can use your type 2 to type 1 cord. I've done so many times on my 2012 Leaf. Pretty much every J1772 (type 1) "charger" is gone from Australia, so this is the only way to AC charge a Leaf here.

For fast/rapid charging, you will need to find a CHAdeMO charger, if your car is so equipped. As mentioned above, all DC chargers are tethered, so you don't need and can't use a type 2 to type 1 cable for fast charging.

The "charger" below will be untethered type 2:

Westmeath-has-23-electric-vehicle-charging-points.jpg

Back