Bob Lutz to introduce PHEV pickup, SUV and van

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChargedEVsMag

Via Motors announced Tuesday that it will unveil three powerful PHEVs at January’s North American International Auto Show in Detroit... http://www.chargedevs.com/content/news-wire/post/bob-lutz-introduce-phev-pickup-suv-and-van" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Their pickup trucks have an anticipated price of $79K (in volume!) for 24kWH (30-40mi) before switching to gas, with an untested brand (Via Motors).

Unless there's something more to this than meets the eye, sadly, I think they will have a tough sell on their hands. There's probably something here for short-haul fleet owners, in terms of total-cost of ownership savings, but otherwise, the price of admission seems somewhat steep.

There is probably a lot of free money available to those fleets that participate.. and perhaps some of them HAVE a need/requirement for a true low emissions truck. Good luck to VIA, the more the merrier.

Here's a Chevy pickup EV (Corvair) Note tailgate on passenger side.

userUpload.jpg

get them in at a reasonable price where a payback from gas can be had in 5-8 years and it will sell. options, options, creates demand which means more charging for us!! its all good

The amazing and smooth torque pulling away would be amazing for trucks carrying or towing huge things. Motors are actually a perfect fit for this type of work.... but the batteries required for such a rig are massive and expensive. It will get there and truckers will be in heaven when it does.

Why is a 4.3 liter V6 in the mix? A real EREV should just be charging the pack only. If the engine is also driving the wheels then it's a plug-in hybrid or PHEV.

My understanding from another article is that they are aiming at the fleet market, where high maintenance and fuel cost differences can make this attractive even at a premium initial price... and along the lines of the Tesla approach, they are starting at the high end and will likely step their way down the market as economy of scale allows.

DaveinOlyWA said:
get them in at a reasonable price where a payback from gas can be had in 5-8 years and it will sell. options, options, creates demand which means more charging for us!! its all good

Back