A trip to the airport

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIOJim

I've had my SL-e Leaf for about 2 and a half weeks and for the most part have enjoyed it a great deal. Most of my driving is extremely local - I live 3.2 miles from my job site and don't tend to wander afar all that often. Last week I went to the airport where my plane is hangared and logged the longest trip to date - 25 miles round trip!

But one travel scenario that is very likely to occur is a trip to Portland International Airport. If any of my relatives were to come for a visit I would certainly want to pick them up. Mapquest told me that it was 27.8 miles from my home near Hillsboro Airport to PDX. That doesn't sound bad, but there is a definite elevation gain/loss between the two destinations and I frankly wondered how the Leaf would handle them. I wanted to do a test under less than ideal conditions and see how the car fared. When the weather forecast for today looked rainy, I thought I had found my Test Day. :)

I did my usual Saturday rituals and by 8am was ready for my trip. I had charged the Leaf to 100% the night before instead of its usual 80% so I had a full bag of electrons to expend. I dropped the dog off at the doggie daycare as he's not a very good traveler and headed for Hwy 26 east.

The roadway was wet and there were intermittent showers. The temperature was 59 degrees. Perfect western Oregon weather, though disappointing for a July day. As I passed 217, I saw from the info sign that there was an accident ahead. Excellent, as what trip is free of traffic or unexpected stoppages? I knew from MNL poster Patrick0101 that Leaf low speed performance is not optimal so this would be a good test.

As I crested the Sylvan hill the traffic became bumper-to-bumper. I was showing a miles/KWH reading of 3.8 at this point - the climb to the top of the Sylvan hills had taken it's toll. The whole way I had kept my speed to below 60mph, and in the right lane this wasn't a problem. I was disconcerted by how quickly the first bar disappeared but that had been the case in the past. At the top I was down 3 bars. Sweet!

But the 2-car crash took the usual 3 lanes down to 1. Traffic crept along and I lost all of the expected regen from the descent down to the Vista Ridge Tunnel. The actual accident was about 1/4 mile from the tunnel entrance and once I passed that it was clear sailing. Once established on I-84 I stuck to the center lane and kept up with the flow of traffic, which was cruising at about 60mph. Not bad.

I headed north on I-205 and got off at the airport exit. When I hit the exit for the long term parking I was at 5 bars, but I continued on to simulate dropping someone off for a flight. I actually cruised past the departure terminal before looping back to head for home, still showing 5 bars.

It really started to rain on the trip back. For laughs I had the Nav system give me turn-for-turn directions and tried to keep the cars speed below 60mph, though I did not go slower than the flow of traffic. The climb from the tunnel up to the Zoo was arduous and I saw several bars fall from the effort. But then the glide down into Beaverton was a welcome change of pace and I saw the 10th bar drop just as I was on the off ramp for my exit at Brookwood Pky. I cruised at 45mph the rest of the way home (about 3 miles) and ended up in the garage with 2 bars still showing and 21 miles showing on the guess-o-meter. I had averaged 4.1 miles/KWH for the trip and 61.5 miles total.

So, the trip is definitely do-able. I would have preferred to have had 3 bars remaining as I don't have a lot of experience with what is left after 2 bars. But 70 freeway miles seems possible if not always comfortable.

The Leaf passed its test! :)

But on the way back with passengers and bags, you will have extra weight. Actually, this doesn't look good to me for my future Leaf and using it when I drive the carpool. I may have to drive our Prius on the carpool days.

HIOJim said:
So, the trip is definitely do-able. I would have preferred to have had 3 bars remaining as I don't have a lot of experience with what is left after 2 bars. But 70 freeway miles seems possible if not always comfortable.

What kind of flying contraption do you have up there? There's a motorcycle race near HIO at Washougal, WA that I always wanted to watch. Last airplane was a B55 Baron. Anyhoo, this might help you:

Speed in MPH......38...50...60....70...Battery Value / Percent Charge

.............................Range in miles.................................................

Fully charged…..130..91…78….65……….281……………….100%

2 fuel bars...........30..21...18....15

1 fuel bar.............20..14....12...10

Battery Warning...20...14...12....10..........48......................17%

Very Low Warn....10.....7.....6......5...........24......................8.5%

Turtle mode........about 1 mile...................5......................1.7%

Obviously, up hills, extreme outside temperatures (hot or cold), significant wind, snow on road, use of climate control (particularly the heater), etc, will all decrease the range estimates.

HIOJim said:
What is left when you get down to 2 bars is probably about 25% of the pack, assuming you are willing to go all the way to turtle. Just today I drove 11 miles of freeway and 7 miles of city streets after dropping to 2 bars, and I didn't even get the "Very Low Battery" warning. So I know I still had 5-10 miles left.

To recap what happens,
  • Some time after you drop to 1 bar, you get the "Low battery" warning, and the guessometer starts flashing. For me that seems usually to happen when the guessometer is at about 8 miles.
  • Some time after the last bar disappears you get the "Very Low Battery" warning and the guessometer changes to three dashes.
    For me that is usually about 7 miles after the first warning, and when the guessometer has dropped to about 3 miles.
  • Some time after that the turtle lights up and the car goes into minimum power mode. I've only gone that far once, and it took 7.5 miles of local driving after the second warning. I have driven 6 miles beyond "VLB" without getting the turtle.
  • You won't go far, or fast, in turtle mode. There have been reports of up to two miles, but others have said only half a mile or less. I'm sure it depends on your momentum when you enter that mode. I was half a mile from home, and made it. The car slowed to 20 mph going up a very slight grade.

Ray

TonyWilliams said:
What kind of flying contraption do you have up there? There's a motorcycle race near HIO at Washougal, WA that I always wanted to watch. Last airplane was a B55 Baron....

Well, it's certainly not a Baron! I have a 1970 Mooney M-10 Cadet. It was Mooney's attempt at a trainer - they bought the Ercoupe's STC, slapped a Mooney tail on it, expanded the cockpit a bit and called it good. They made 49 of them before calling it quits. It has a Continental C90 16-F engine and will cruise at about 95 knots. Seats two side-by-side and has a bubble canopy. Nice plane, if you're not in a hurry. :)

Thanks for the data!

planet4ever said:
HIOJim said:
What is left when you get down to 2 bars is probably about 25% of the pack, assuming you are willing to go all the way to turtle....

Thanks, Ray. This is good info. I'll have to explore what my pack will do sometime.

Back