5 Mistakes Made at Various EV Charging Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I happened to shoot a portion of the behind. The back of the charger looks like this, I don't see grey box, I will pay more attention behind the charger next time.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrc1pNUsFko[/youtube]

Slow1 said:
fetv said:
Well, I've done both,but neither worked, instead I messed up for the next person. So did I reset it correctly? What is the correct procedure? I am sure desiv and rumpole are good people, just me not doing it correctly.

Thanks for doing the experiment on restoring function after EPO - good info to have.

I suppose you didn't notice the power relay in the grey box behind the DCQC unit? I'm willing to bet had you power cycled the unit it would have been reset. Code in many areas requires the ability to cut power (in case of emergency like someone running over the EVSE and having exposed wires etc).

fetv said:
I happened to shoot a portion of the behind. The back of the charger looks like this, I don't see grey box, I will pay more attention behind the charger next time.

Slow1 said:
fetv said:
Well, I've done both,but neither worked, instead I messed up for the next person. So did I reset it correctly? What is the correct procedure? I am sure desiv and rumpole are good people, just me not doing it correctly.

Thanks for doing the experiment on restoring function after EPO - good info to have.

I suppose you didn't notice the power relay in the grey box behind the DCQC unit? I'm willing to bet had you power cycled the unit it would have been reset. Code in many areas requires the ability to cut power (in case of emergency like someone running over the EVSE and having exposed wires etc).

Sorry was referencing the one on the wall of the building behind the charger :)

you have an sharp eye! Now that I noticed that grey box from my original video, my next question is: is it legal for me to do it? What if that grey box also controls other devices? What if I shut down the whole Walgreen store, am I going to be arrested?

Slow1 said:
fetv said:

Slow1 said:

Sorry was referencing the one on the wall of the building behind the charger :)

fetv said:
you have an sharp eye! Now that I noticed that grey box from my original video, my next question is: is it legal for me to do it? What if that grey box also controls other devices? What if I shut down the whole Walgreen store, am I going to be arrested?

Well - I would ask first in general. I have the permission of my local Nissan dealer to cycle the one there if needed (or turn it on if they forget to do so after mowing).

If I were in a crisis and needed to charge with nobody around I would give it a try, but that's me. Then again, I'm not the type to hit the EPO just to try resetting it. I work in labs that have EPO buttons by every door - we all get rather annoyed when someone hits one without cause.

As to shutting down the whole Walgreen store - that switch isn't large enough for that power and it would be a dumb place to put the main store power relay don't you think?

I thought I could reset it last time, then I felt bad when apparently the unit is not coming back. I used the plugshare to check the status of that unit, no one reports the status (last comment was left 8 days ago).

Slow1 said:
fetv said:

Well - I would ask first in general. I have the permission of my local Nissan dealer to cycle the one there if needed (or turn it on if they forget to do so after mowing).

If I were in a crisis and needed to charge with nobody around I would give it a try, but that's me. Then again, I'm not the type to hit the EPO just to try resetting it. I work in labs that have EPO buttons by every door - we all get rather annoyed when someone hits one without cause.

As to shutting down the whole Walgreen store - that switch isn't large enough for that power and it would be a dumb place to put the main store power relay don't you think?

fetv said:
I thought I could reset it last time, then I felt bad when apparently the unit is not coming back. I used the plugshare to check the status of that unit, no one reports the status (last comment was left 8 days ago).
I wish more people used plugshare.. ;-(
I wouldn't hit the power to reset it myself, just report it was down.
But I'd be interested to see what happens when you go back. If it's still down, I'd bet that twisting the Emergency stop will kick that free and you can reset it using the green stop.
That works for me...

desiv

went back today, the unit is working. Did not want to mischief to push the emergency button again. Now I feel better, however still not quite sure what is the correct procedure. I did shoot a new clip about the grey box power switch. In addition, I noticed there is another box on the floor not connected to anything, not sure why it is there:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG9KE8E_LSE[/youtube]

desiv said:
fetv said:
I wish more people used plugshare.. ;-(
I wouldn't hit the power to reset it myself, just report it was down.
But I'd be interested to see what happens when you go back. If it's still down, I'd bet that twisting the Emergency stop will kick that free and you can reset it using the green stop.
That works for me...

desiv

That black box on the ground looks like a lot like a rat bait station. Did it have any holes on the sides?

did not have a good look at it, I felt guilty, did not want people recognizing me (I felt like criminal on the run).

drees said:
That black box on the ground looks like a lot like a rat bait station. Did it have any holes on the sides?

new update: I did not dare to repeat the same at the same location, so I moved to another location. This time, desiv way worked:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia_cNr54y6s[/youtube]

At a 3rd station, I got a new code 0x0404, does anyone know how to resolve this one?

fetv said:
... I moved to another location. This time, desiv way worked:
Yay!

fetv said:
At a 3rd station, I got a new code 0x0404, does anyone know how to resolve this one?
Hmm.. Looks like they replaced the Emergency stop/reset functionality with a card reader...
Not sure how you'd reset that one...

Glad the twist worked..
Makes me think the spring (that causes the Emergency stop button to lock down) on ours here is a bit broken, as it doesn't always need the twist.. ;-)
Or maybe it was broken and they fixed it, as it needed the twist the last time.. I'll see when it happens again.. Maybe I'll make a little card and tape it to the unit telling people NOT to stop the charge by hitting the big red button. ;-)

Thanx for the vid.. Good info!

desiv

For the kind with card reader, I was able to generate a code 0x0504, This worked: using the regular "stop button" to reset it. However the connection error 0x0404 did not work.

fetv said:
desiv said:
Hmm.. Looks like they replaced the Emergency stop/reset functionality with a card reader...
Not sure how you'd reset that one...

Glad the twist worked..
Makes me think the spring (that causes the Emergency stop button to lock down) on ours here is a bit broken, as it doesn't always need the twist.. ;-)
Or maybe it was broken and they fixed it, as it needed the twist the last time.. I'll see when it happens again.. Maybe I'll make a little card and tape it to the unit telling people NOT to stop the charge by hitting the big red button. ;-)

Thanx for the vid.. Good info!

desiv

I tried a blink quick charge, before starting, it has selection of 60%, 80% or 100%. My question is: is there a way to set 30 minutes charge instead of x% charge?

Thanks.

fetv said:
new update: I did not dare to repeat the same at the same location, so I moved to another location. This time, desiv way worked:

I too have received the Code 0x0404 twice now only at eVgo NRG chargers (similar to what are at the Nissan dealerships, not the dual quick charge ones with a seperate credit card reader for payment). The screen says the car is on or not in park. I figured out the code was generating when I had my phone plugged into the 12v outlet or the usb port. I cleared the error by holding start and stop and resetting the charger and unplugging the plugs from each outlet.

So far no other errors from chargers.

I did get the turtle icon and said limited power after fast charging from blink charger at Santa Clara convention center. Battery temp didn't hit red line but was at the top white bar. I was still able to drive freeway speeds home to Sacramento stopping for one more quick charge without issues in Vacaville/Fairfield area. Car was fine the next day and was able to trickle charge on 110v when I got home.

Thanks for the tip of unplugging 12v devices, I will try it next time. Pressing start and stop alone did not work.

Are you saying the Santa Clara Convention Center may cause the turtle icon?

co2112 said:
fetv said:

I too have received the Code 0x0404 twice now only at eVgo NRG chargers (similar to what are at the Nissan dealerships, not the dual quick charge ones with a seperate credit card reader for payment). The screen says the car is on or not in park. I figured out the code was generating when I had my phone plugged into the 12v outlet or the usb port. I cleared the error by holding start and stop and resetting the charger and unplugging the plugs from each outlet.

So far no other errors from chargers.

I did get the turtle icon and said limited power after fast charging from blink charger at Santa Clara convention center. Battery temp didn't hit red line but was at the top white bar. I was still able to drive freeway speeds home to Sacramento stopping for one more quick charge without issues in Vacaville/Fairfield area. Car was fine the next day and was able to trickle charge on 110v when I got home.

fetv said:
Thanks for the tip of unplugging 12v devices, I will try it next time. Pressing start and stop alone did not work.

Not sure. Battery and temp was fine prior to charging at Santa Clara blink station. I used the one on the left not the right one that was broken in your prior video.

I charged using 4 quick chargers coming down from Sacramento. I quick charged two more times on my way back with no issues. The turle icon and heat bars were only from using that quick charge station. Did not gain any bars with the other two quick charges and turtle did go away sometime along the drive but temp bars didnt go down. I've read that the charger is causing the temp bars and readout in the car and not the actual battery. Not sure still new to the Leaf with under 1100 miles so far.

As far as the error code 0x0404 I was able to repeat this again with my cell charger plugged in at the local Nissan quick charger. Start and Stop did not reset that station and it had to be manually shut off and hard rest from power breaker. Dealer shut it off and restarted. So Start+Stop hold for 10 seconds doesnt always work. But removing my 12v device from the socket did not repeat the code after reset.

yes, the left one in my video still works. But I tried to google "ev quick charger temperature turtle icon", I only found this thread, where did you read that the charger can actually cause problem? Any links?

it is easy to duplicate 0x0405, but how exactly can we generate a 0x0404, I still want to experiment, but it is not easy to generate that specific code.

co2112 said:
fetv said:

Not sure. Battery and temp was fine prior to charging at Santa Clara blink station. I used the one on the left not the right one that was broken in your prior video.

I charged using 4 quick chargers coming down from Sacramento. I quick charged two more times on my way back with no issues. The turle icon and heat bars were only from using that quick charge station. Did not gain any bars with the other two quick charges and turtle did go away sometime along the drive but temp bars didnt go down. I've read that the charger is causing the temp bars and readout in the car and not the actual battery. Not sure still new to the Leaf with under 1100 miles so far.

As far as the error code 0x0404 I was able to repeat this again with my cell charger plugged in at the local Nissan quick charger. Start and Stop did not reset that station and it had to be manually shut off and hard rest from power breaker. Dealer shut it off and restarted. So Start+Stop hold for 10 seconds doesnt always work. But removing my 12v device from the socket did not repeat the code after reset.

Back