4 Years and 34K Miles: An Optimistic Tale of PNW Ownership

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TLeaf

So "Ginger" is finally turning 4 years old this week. Actually, I suppose she really turned 4 back in December according to her production date, but LEAF #225 was brought home for the first time 4 years ago this week. During that intervening time, she's covered almost 34,000 trouble-free miles (with an additional 8K miles racked up on my electric scooter). Though I've watched this forum closely to keep an eye out for possible troubles, and I strongly feel for those who've run into battery or other issues, I've got to admit that so far the LEAF is seemingly incredibly well-suited to life in the Pacific Northwest.

Some thoughts on 48 months of LEAF ownership:
- There's still all 12 capacity bars showing, but that first bar is close to dropping off (I saw my first "9 bar/80% charge" last month)
- Though they laugh at me at work, a lap blanket and gloves make a great replacement for my non-existent heated seat and heated steering wheel
- Once I was done experimenting in year two, I found that I've never actually had a need to quick charge (still glad I have the QC option)
- I've never "turtled" the car and have no intention of doing so; I also try to avoid the top 20% of the battery's capacity
- The biggest mistake I made was putting Aquapel on my windshield; that stuff is terrible on a typical foggy (i.e.- no big rain drops) northwest day
- My Ecopias are wearing well and should last another 16K miles easy; I suppose I should be concerned that they spin too readily on wet pavement, but it's so much fun ;)
- For what it's worth, I keep the tires inflated to 44psi in the summer and 41psi in the winter
- Driving through a half-inch of standing water on the freeway is a real mileage-eater
- Even in the days of $2 gasoline, I'm so glad that I opted out of the petro pricing "game"
- Another thing I'm glad I didn't do was wait; though I could now buy a used LEAF for under $11K if I had waited, I've saved over $3K in gas and have greatly enjoyed the past 4 years of EV ownership, especially those first couple of years where EV owners actually waved at each other and LEAFs on the city streets were few and far between

Overall, it's been a great ride and here's to hoping that there's still enough range in that ol' battery to keep me commuting to and from work (34 miles) for another 16 years until retirement! I admit that a Tesla, or maybe even a --gasp!-- Chevy, might tempt me between now and then, but I bought the car intending to keep it for the long haul and it certainly hasn't let me down yet.

You could fit your own heated seat kit inside of a weekend (or get an installer to do it for you, if it's something you don't think you could handle). Many of us with 2011s have already done it:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6810" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Same age, same location, lost the 1st bar in late December at ~40,000 miles.
We have started to charge to 100% in 2014 to cover the winter 50 mile commute (which seems to use up all 12 bars, despite the GOM indicating we have 65+ at 100%). Its mostly freeway driving.

We did change tires last year in spring (the ecopias did start to look a bit worn), but no noticeable change in range with the new tires.

Overall, I agree with the OP, it has been a great ride and no regrets on early adoption.

Buying a new battery for $5.5k when the old one drops below our 50 mile commuter range seems not too bad in light of the gas savings. The cheap prices we have now wont last anyway.

I still recall the Nissan event in late 2010, when we test drove the Leaf for the first time and the very rosy battery capacity loss estimates they were giving people back then....

I used to ride motorcycles here in Maryland in the winter and I used a heated vest. It operated on 12 volts using a standard automobile accessory outlet. The 25 watts around the torso was all I needed out in the elements. If you keep the torso warm, you continue to get good blood flow to the extremities and feel comfortable. Would 25 watts severely affect your range?

I'm happy to hear of your great experience with the Leaf. I'm about to buy a 2012 Leaf SL with 2,300 miles on it (1 owner just turned it in off lease). I'm looking forward to great fun with it!

Just as an estimate, figure 80 mile range at 60 Mph on 20kWh of battery energy. That comes out to 15kW consumed while driving. So 25W of extra drain would result in <0.2% loss in range. My estimates could be off by 25%, but you would still calculate that 25W of extra drain is insignificant.

Bob

Congrats! Mine will hit 4 years in April, just under 30K miles, and I still have all 12 bars too. I started charging to 100% every time after they did that big software change that significantly reduced the regen so it's been a couple of years. I've never turtled it either, and I've used the QC port just once. I've tried to QC many other times but the machines were always occupied or broken.

Like the OP, I'm really happy with mine and bought it planning to keep it for as long as possible. I'm hoping someone will come up with a nice longer range (200+ miles) EV at reasonable cost soon to replace my wife's Prius.

I'll add some hot weather perspective. Just shy of 50k miles in a little over 3 years of ownership. I have a '12 SL and the heated seats and steering wheel are nice! I've added Juke wheels, different tires, 2 tone leather seats and a sunroof. LOVE my LEAF! I'm down to 9 capacity bars, and close to losing the fourth, so new battery is getting pretty close (under warranty). I have only turtled it once, on purpose, back when it was new. Have never quick charged. ALWAYS charge to 100% and never use the charge timer. I still absolutely LOVE my car. I look forward to EVs with longer range and more luxury features, but that cost much less than a Model S, but until then I will keep on driving my worry free LEAF.

BTW, tires and cabin air filters have been the ONLY things I've had to replace and haven't had a single replacement issue. These are just great cars.

Back