2019 Noisier than my 2012

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
However, that being said, I live in Omaha now and used to live in Seattle. The roads in Omaha are horrendous. Just driving on regular road, the cold pour breaks goes kathunk kathunk kathunk.
This car only has 12,000 miles on it so I’m sure I won’t be replacing the tires anytime soon. Does Siping help?
I had it under coated, but they said there was a fabric in the wheel wells so they didn’t do the wheel wells where it seems like it needs soundproofing the most.
I bought some foam soundproofing on Amazon and wondered if I could put it over the top of whatever that “fabric” is in the wheel wheels.

I bought some foam soundproofing on Amazon and wondered if I could put it over the top of whatever that “fabric” is in the wheel wheels.
I know what fabric you are referring to. I would not stick anything to it because the weight could pull it off into the wheel which would just rip it out. The black fabric around the wheel is clipped in and mainly just serves the purpose of preventing rocks and debris from clogging up the channels around the under-body of the Leaf. There is not much you can do about tire road noise other than to buy tires that are rated to be quiet. But even those have limitations because the road surface itself could be the source of the noise and you have no control over that. I would also not recommend cutting the tires via Siping as that would simply produce more noise with the new channel cuts. You can experiment with different tire pressures to see if that helps. Higher PSI usually means less noise because you are reducing traction to the road. Depending on the time of year and what weather you drive in, that may or may not be a good idea.

Welcome to pot hole heaven, I'm 50 mile give or take east of you. I have nothing to compare to, my 2015 is my first electric, and found it took some getting used to. I didn't realize how much I judge speed by sound. It is by far the quietest car I've owned.

My first leaf was very very quiet. Had the feel of a much heavier car, but it probably was. I’m sure they have reduced the weight on everything to increase the miles because I have the larger battery.

My first leaf was very very quiet. Had the feel of a much heavier car, but it probably was. I’m sure they have reduced the weight on everything to increase the miles because I have the larger battery.
Your 2019 is heavier than your 2012, could be over +450 lbs heavier depending on the size battery you have. Your previous Leaf may have less tire noise due to less weight for example. Tires also play a part too, but it's hard to say in your case unless both Leaf were using identical tires?

Both my ‘14 and ‘19 LEAF had a distinct background noise that I think was coming the rear wheels. It was definitely coming from the outboard back seat area. I was suspicious about the seal on the rear doors because a lot of road slop would be in the door jamb when opening the rear doors. Never tried it but read somewhere that adding thin weatherstripping to where the door skin flange meets the doorframe might reduce the noise. Apparently there are aftermarket weatherstripping kits for Teslas to squelch similar noises.

I have owned 3 LEAFs. My conclusion has been that virtually all of the road noise I hear is determined by the choice of tires. My '19 is very quiet on the road and is running the Michelin Energy Savers. (in fairness, the Plus model actually is heavier as well)

Back